2016-17 Coaching Carousel | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2016-17 Coaching Carousel

- Baylor:
Jim Grobe has been the interim coach since Art Briles was dismissed in the summer due to the s e xual assault scandal, and it’s made for a strange situation for the staff. Offensive coordinator Kendal Briles recently met with the NCAA about possible recruiting violations, and Baylor still only has 2 commitments in its recruiting class with a lame-duck staff.

The scandal still hangs over the program, but athletic director Mack Rhoades has to find a coach. In terms of style, he's wants an offensive head coach. There’s a new stadium, and coaches know that Baylor is willing to pay big money if you win, as Art Briles made more than $4 million annually. SMU’s Chad Morris is considered a candidate. Other names to watch could include Sonny Dykes, Mike MacIntyre, Larry Fedora and Lincoln Riley. Former Baylor assistant Philip Montgomery has done well at Tulsa, but does Baylor want to cut itself off from the Briles tree? Coaches also may wait to see how things shake out at Texas.

Wow no mention of Dino. Don't they listen to some posters here and to Dan Conley?

upload_2016-11-26_8-42-18.png

If true, good for him. Glad he got a second chance.

And I hope we kick his a$$ next year.

Yep. Now the battle to bring Lane Kiffin as OC, with Sarkisian taking over as Bama OC. And keep his current DC, that Herman will try to hire away to Texas.

Coordinator shuffle will be more drama than the HC shuffle.

Where does Les Miles fall in all of this now. Herman to Texas. Dykes to Baylor, Miles to Cal?

I think LSU passed because Herman was asking for the world and they didn't want to wait or pay in a bidding war with Texas.

LSU made a great choice. Ed is one hellava coach bleeds LSU has proven it on the field.

Yep. Now the battle to bring Lane Kiffin as OC, with Sarkisian taking over as Bama OC. And keep his current DC, that Herman will try to hire away to Texas.

Coordinator shuffle will be more drama than the HC shuffle.
I think Sark to LSU is the more reasonable outcome. No reason for Kiffin to leave other than a HC role and if that happened Sark could be the next man up.

Last edited:

"Relationships" for Herman = "Saban-like" control of the entire football program - all decisions that impact the program will be made by him.

Houston is obviously willing to do that. Is Texas?

Coaching Search Ticker | CoachingSearch.com

Posted by: Chris Vannini on Saturday November 26, 2016

NC State: The school has announced Dave Doeren will return next season. Doeren is 24-26 in four seasons, but beat North Carolina on Friday to reach a third straight bowl game.

Baylor: North Carolina head coach Larry Fedora is “a prime target for Baylor,” according to Yahoo Sports’ Pat Forde.

Texas: The Austin American-Statesman’s Kirk Bohls reports “it could take $6 million a year” for Tom Herman to agree to a deal at Texas, adding that Herman's representatives gave that same figure to LSU and LSU said no.

LSU: Ed Orgeron will be named the permanent head coach at LSU, according to The Advocate. LSU has scheduled a press conference for 1 p.m. ET. The paper adds that Tom Herman called at 5 a.m., leaning Texas, so LSU made their decision. Orgeron also has coordinator plans. Read more here.

I think Sark to LSU is the more reasonable outcome. No reason for Kiffin to leave other than a HC role and if that happened Sark could be the next man up.

Kiffin isn't leaving they are throwing him out. Bama didn't renew his contract because they don't want him back. Kiffin to LSU as their OC will most likely happen.

6mm per year is just dumb. its Out of whack for a guy who has only coached in the minor league so far. How can one build a staff w that going to HC.

Rumor is that the Saban - Kiffin marriage has run its course.

I read last night that Orgeron has been selling the LSU AD on the Kiffin OC concept as part of the Orgeron staff. He knows Lane from the USC days (Sark too I guess), so I'm sure he has had the conversations.

LSU just did Texas a favor. It's going to save UT a bunch of dough by not having to get in a bidding war for Herman.

Unless Oregon and Phil Knight decide to join the party.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom