2016 Yankees | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Yankees

Crt57z1W8AAw6Dp.jpg

So...yeah. That game was interesting.

What a win.

That was...something. Betances is not the most trustworthy closer out there. Seems to have lost command of both his slider and his fastball ever since stepping into the closer role. A win is a win though. First place still in play or is that a pipe dream?

That was...something. Betances is not the most trustworthy closer out there. Seems to have lost command of both his slider and his fastball ever since stepping into the closer role. A win is a win though. First place still in play or is that a pipe dream?
It's not a pipe dream, but it's not the goal.

He's mostly been great. Before tonight, he hadn't given up a hit in his previous five appearances, three of which were for more than one inning, and had given up one run since July 22. He's an elite closer.

Well, it was his third day in a row in the closer role. To say he wasn't sharp would be an understatement :). It's probably safe to say the pressure on him is much greater now, and also to assume he's feeling it. Anyway, it was great to see Blake Parker come in behind him and get the job done. Kudos to him, he showed some onions in that spot.

I know no one ever seems to talk about him, but how about that wild pitch stop by Sanchez last night? Saved the 1 run lead.

I know no one ever seems to talk about him, but how about that wild pitch stop by Sanchez last night? Saved the 1 run lead.
i liked Cone's line after...he blocked that one, so tell him to put the next one in the dirt too.

or something like that.

They might need 89 wins to get the wildcard, which means they'll have to go 16 - 8 the rest of the way. That's a tall order, especially when you look at the pitchers in the rotation. It should be a fun ride though. Taking 3 out of 4 against Tampa Bay would be a nice start.

i still think hes a starter.

just gotta get his head right.

but damn, that was a nice sweep!!!

My in-laws in Toronto are pouting ...

girl-smirk.gif

edit: they're all secretly hoping, if the Jays fold up, that Gibbons will get the punt. It's an odd place. They didn't like Cito Gaston either.

Last edited:
Two solid outings by Luis Cessa and Bryan Mitchell. Before this week I'd never heard of either. Well, maybe Cessa. But there are some good arms in the fold.

i still think hes a starter.

just gotta get his head right.

but damn, that was a nice sweep!!!

Yankees have an impressive history of turning hard throwing insecure starters into dominant relievers. Greatest of all time (Mo), Joba, Hughes, Betances. Severino could be next on that list and team up well with Betances for a 3 inning recipe.

But agree, I'd rather see him screw the head on right and be the starter he always has been in the minors, and was late last year with the big club.

This team is so fun to watch. Just don't the end game, need to sweep the lowly Rays for 4 this weekend.

Yankees have an impressive history of turning hard throwing insecure starters into dominant relievers. Greatest of all time (Mo), Joba, Hughes, Betances. Severino could be next on that list and team up well with Betances for a 3 inning recipe.

But agree, I'd rather see him screw the head on right and be the starter he always has been in the minors, and was late last year with the big club.

This team is so fun to watch. Just don't the end game, need to sweep the lowly Rays for 4 this weekend.
could toss Righetti in there too.

extremely fun to watch.

It's so hard to sweep a 4 game series against anyone under any circumstances. Take 3 of the next 4 though, and they will almost certainly improve their position relative to the teams they need to catch. But this is great fun no matter how it all plays out.

could toss Righetti in there too.

extremely fun to watch.

Forgot about the guy who struck out Wade Boggs to end a no hitter.

Still feel like I'm playing with house money. And that the house of cards could realistically crash any time (look at the starting staff, and Judge is setting new strikeout records). But with the wild card loss column # only being 2, I'm going to get really greedy soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom