2017 Jimmy V Classic | Syracusefan.com

2017 Jimmy V Classic

Why do we always seem to face the same teams over and over again in preseason tourneys... For awhile it was Cal every year and I seem to remember facing a number of big 12 teams a lot too. I wish we would get into a big boy tournament one of these years and take on Kentucky or Kansas or Arizona. The more we can play and beat those programs the more we will prove that we are the same level as them in the eyes of recruits.

Why do we always seem to face the same teams over and over again in preseason tourneys... For awhile it was Cal every year and I seem to remember facing a number of big 12 teams a lot too. I wish we would get into a big boy tournament one of these years and take on Kentucky or Kansas or Arizona. The more we can play and beat those programs the more we will prove that we are the same level as them in the eyes of recruits.

Florida, as well.

Zona hasn't been more succesful than us this millenium.

Florida, as well.
You mean we've played Florida a lot in tournaments or we need to play them more? I think you are saying the former because I think we've surpassed Florida as a program and I do remember a few games agains them.

Zona hasn't been more succesful than us this millenium.
That's fine to think that but the reality is in terms of recruiting perception Zona is a stronger program than us as they seem to be getting kids we want and who are in our recruiting backyard. Let's play them more and beat them.

You mean we've played Florida a lot in tournaments or we need to play them more? I think you are saying the former because I think we've surpassed Florida as a program and I do remember a few games agains them.

The former. We played them numerous times in a short timeframe, due primarily to tournaments but also a home-and-away. It is just strange when you play a random team from another conference numerous times in a 5 year span.

That's fine to think that but the reality is in terms of recruiting perception Zona is a stronger program than us as they seem to be getting kids we want and who are in our recruiting backyard. Let's play them more and beat them.

One kid.

The reality is Miller hasn't been to a FF. If that continues, the recruiting success won't

So is this our early season tournament next year? Little bummed if it is.

This is what I expected. If we are going to play UConn do it at this event. Give the NYC alums there bone and as last year told us winning non conference games can bail you out in March.
We should never play another regular season game in Storrs.

Arizona is kind of a weird add in there...

Gotta keep in mind there are so many blue bloods per tourney. And we are usually the big name in each 1 we are in. Playing UConn is the equivalent of playing Kansas or Kentucky. They have 4 freaking titles in the last 15 years.

One kid.

The reality is Miller hasn't been to a FF. If that continues, the recruiting success won't

Francis would know for sure but pretty sure SU wanted Tarczewski, Brandon Ashley, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, etc. badly. Certainly RHJ.

Francis would know for sure but pretty sure SU wanted Tarczewski, Brandon Ashley, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, etc. badly. Certainly RHJ.

I fully admit I am not fully in the know like Francis, but I do follow recruiting and I am pretty sure RHJ is the only guy you referenced that we really went after. Ashley is definately a no. He went to Findley Prep in Nevada. Tarczewski was in our area, but we didn't offer him.

I sense a lot of people are obsessed about who Zona is getting lately and good for them, but if these players are so great Miller must be an awful game coach, because he certainly hasn't had as much success overall as we have had this decade.

Last edited:
I fully admit I am not fully in the know like Francis, but I do follow recruiting and I am pretty sure RHJ is the only guy your referenced that we really went after. Ashley is definately a no. He went to Findley Prep in Nevada. Tarczewski was in our area, but we didn't offer him.

I sense a lot of people are obsessed about who Zona is getting lately and good for them, but if these players are so great Miller must be an awful game coach, because he certainly hasn't had as much success overall as we have had this decade.
Going to be another tougher than expected year for them too. With Alonzo Trier being ineligible at least at the moment, and the loss of Ray Smith yesterday they are down on numbers, big time. Bad timing given the FF in Phoenix this year too. Maybe they rally together though and get there. Home court advantage for sure.

Going to be another tougher than expected year for them too. With Alonzo Trier being ineligible at least at the moment, and the loss of Ray Smith yesterday they are down on numbers, big time. Bad timing given the FF in Phoenix this year too. Maybe they rally together though and get there. Home court advantage for sure.

Can't help buy feel bad for Ray Smith. 3 ACL tears before you even step foot on a college court in a real game. I can understand why he said enough was enough.

I fully admit I am not fully in the know like Francis, but I do follow recruiting and I am pretty sure RHJ is the only guy you referenced that we really went after. Ashley is definately a no. He went to Findley Prep in Nevada. Tarczewski was in our area, but we didn't offer him.

Kaleb T really wasn't offered? Maybe I'm thinking of Stanley Johnson and not Ashley. Anyways, Arizona has been a few points away twice (one OT) from a F4 since Miller arrived. They have been consistently very good. Same with Virginia. In Boeheim's last presser he specifically cited Arizona and Virginia as programs who shouldn't have their overall excellent success lately diminished by no F4 appearance. I mean it's not like Syracuse had a good regular season the past couple of seasons. Our fanbase should have their heads examined if people are questioning Arizona's legitimacy as a national power, Miller's ability to coach, and their appeal to recruits as a major destination spot.

Kaleb T really wasn't offered? Maybe I'm thinking of Stanley Johnson and not Ashley. Anyways, Arizona has been a few points away twice (one OT) from a F4 since Miller arrived. They have been consistently very good. Same with Virginia. In Boeheim's last presser he specifically cited Arizona and Virginia as programs who shouldn't have their overall excellent success lately diminished by no F4 appearance. I mean it's not like Syracuse had a good regular season the past couple of seasons. Our fanbase should have their heads examined if people are questioning Arizona's legitimacy as a national power, Miller's ability to coach, and their appeal to recruits as a major destination spot.

Whoa, Whoa.

I never said Arizona wasn't a National Power. A poster suggested we couldn't compete with them. That's flat out ridiculous IMO. I think everyone's paranoid because we have nobody signed for 2017 yet. When/IF we get Green maybe people will calm down.

I do think if we switched our resumes with theirs, posters here would be freaking out that we consistently underperform in the tournament and Boeheim wouldn't know how to coach.

Last edited:
You speak the truth in the logic that FF runs are very important for the major powers, but not the only distinguishing factors of great programs. A bunch of 29-5, 31-4 seasons and getting bounced in the elite 8, sweet 16, creates anxiety. If we got beat by Dayton last year, after having sat out the 2015 tourney, there might be a few more worried souls. Now of course our 2013 FF run was huge as well, considering that was a less talented team than the one before. But, I can smell what the rock is cooking out there in Tuscon. We didn't capilitze with two great teams in 2010, 2012. Both UVA and AZ need to get there in the next so many years for their coaches to continue to be the darlings of the ball. UVA moreso. AZ has their title and is the power in the PAC, especially with UCLA down.

Last edited:
Our fanbase should have their heads examined if people are questioning Arizona's legitimacy as a national power, Miller's ability to coach, and their appeal to recruits as a major destination spot.

Speaking only for myself, I agree that Arizona is a great basketball program, but when someone (not you) lists them as a big boy on the same level as Kentucky and Kansas while at the same time elevating them above the likes of UConn and Villanova, well I just don't see that at all.

YMMV

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors