2017 Yankees Thread | Page 101 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Yankees Thread

If Yankees fans feel good about beating Cleveland there is good value to bet it.

New York is +240.
That is kinda higher than I thought. Vegas thinks Cleveland is a buzzsaw.

I agree.

I think they are over-valuing the edge in starting pitching. Cleveland clearly has a much better staff, but that value perhaps manifests itself more in a 162 game season than a 7 game series. In the past there was talk of 2 dominant starters being enough to get a team by. And while that is still a way to get it done, moving on with modest starters and getting a few extra innings each game from an electric bullpen has also been a winning formula in recent years.

I agree with your analysis of Indians. But Yanks have to be the most undesired team in playoffs because if they get a lead (and they have the offense to do it) that bullpen is lights out. I think the WS winner comes out of this series.

The super bullpen is a key tool in the AL Playoffs. But it is diminished slightly in NL parks.

Once you remove the DH, it becomes much harder to effectively manage and dominate with your bullpen. It's just not as easy to map your way through the last 5 innings of a game when you are forced to make moves earlier or later than you want solely because the pitcher spot us due up, or possibly due up, the next inning. It forces you to want to stretch your starters a little bit more in those games. Managing the usage of your bullpen is easier in the AL.

This is not to say the AL is not better than the NL. It probably is. But the game is very different.

In a one game elimination. In a series you aren't throwing your bullpen out to get 8 and 2/3 innings. And my point is giving up even just 2 runs from a starter going against kluber or carrasco could be all they need.

4 1/2 innings per game in a 7 game series, is 31 innings.

Given that a 7 game series is spread over 10 days, its not too much to ask 5 or 6 innings from your top relievers over 10 days. With 7 effective relievers, and 4 really good relievers, Giradi can make it work.

Of course that is not 8 2/3 innings, but a starter may not need to go more than 5 or 6 in any win.

The starting pitching has been horrific in both wildcard games. Record setting bad in terms of total innings.

Interesting that Francona is using his ace (Kluber) in Game 2 and not Game 1. I think that's a nod to the fact that Sabathia has been very hot lately and is a veteran. He probably views CC as a tougher matchup than Gray. That way he puts his best pitcher against CC and yet can still come back with Kluber on four days rest for a potential Game 5. And if Cleveland wins in less than 5 he's got Kluber ready for Game 1 of the ALCS.

Last edited:
Tanaka's home/road splits are crazy. He's been very strong at home and gotten hammered on the road.
This season, yes. Over the course of his career, he's only slightly better at home; before this season, it was a wash.

This season, yes. Over the course of his career, he's only slightly better at home; before this season, it was a wash.

6.48 ERA on the road vs. 3.22 at home is just too much of a discrepancy to ignore. He's also given up 20 dingers in just 83 innings on the road.

Interesting that Francona is using his ace (Kluber) in Game 2 and not Game 1. I think that's a nod to the fact that Sabathia has been very hot lately and is a veteran. He probably views CC as a tougher matchup than Gray. That way he puts his best pitcher against CC and yet can still come back with Kluber on four days rest for a potential Game 5.

I don't think it's that.

Francona knows Kluber would prefer to always pitch on every fifth day. If he starts game 1, he would pitch game 4 on 3 days rest, or game 5 on 5 days rest. Gane 2 and Game 5 are the only permutation that works. It's not a matchup thing.

As an aside, there is no reason a 5 game series should have 2 full travel days given how teams fly now. Game 4 should be scheduled in the afternoon, and Game 5 the next night. The Game 2 / Game 5 combo shouldn't have even been an option for Kluber.

This is a great game. I want Rockies. Thought Lucroy was going to deliver there. He seems to take one strike each ab, thought he would jump this time and sit on the fastball early.

I don't think it's that.

Francona knows Kluber would prefer to always pitch on every fifth day. If he starts game 1, he would pitch game 4 on 3 days rest, or game 5 on 5 days rest. Gane 2 and Game 5 are the only permutation that works. It's not a matchup thing.

As an aside, there is no reason a 5 game series should have 2 full travel days given how teams fly now. Game 4 should be scheduled in the afternoon, and Game 5 the next night. The Game 2 / Game 5 combo shouldn't have even been an option for Kluber.

That sounds logical but if it were important for Kluber to pitch every fifth day then he'd be pitching Game 1 on Thursday since he last pitched on Saturday. I think it is at least in part about match-ups. I think Francona knows its important to hold serve at home and Kluber in Game 2 gives him the better chance of doing that. Gray has no experience in these types of games while CC has a ton.

I agree with your comments about the schedule.

That sounds logical but if it were important for Kluber to pitch every fifth day then he'd be pitching Game 1 on Thursday since he last pitched on Saturday. I think it is at least in part about match-ups. I think Francona knows its important to hold serve at home and Kluber in Game 2 gives him the better chance of doing that. Gray has no experience in these types of games while CC has a ton.

I agree with your comments about the schedule.

It's possible we are both right. Wanted him on 5 days rest in game 5 and for game 1 matchup reasons.

Interesting that Francona is using his ace (Kluber) in Game 2 and not Game 1. I think that's a nod to the fact that Sabathia has been very hot lately and is a veteran. He probably views CC as a tougher matchup than Gray. That way he puts his best pitcher against CC and yet can still come back with Kluber on four days rest for a potential Game 5. And if Cleveland wins in less than 5 he's got Kluber ready for Game 1 of the ALCS.

I think the Indians announced their rotation first.

Good point on Tanaka’s splits. Kind of odd that the guy who served up so many HRs this year was better in the Park that’s in most cases easier to hit HRs.

Interesting. Surprised he isn't going with Tanaka in game 1 or 2.

Plus Tanaka has been a lot better at home than on the road, not even close. CC and Gray have been better away from the Stadium

Yankees announce 2017 ALDS Roster. First pitch of Game 1 at Cleveland is tonight at 7:30 p.m. on FS1.

Yankees have released ALDS roster. Shreve, Wade, C. Frazier dropped, and the additions are Tanaka, Garcia, and Montgomery.

DLYeK60V4AI40H_.jpg

Yankees announce 2017 ALDS Roster. First pitch of Game 1 at Cleveland is tonight at 7:30 p.m. on FS1.

Yankees have released ALDS roster. Shreve, Wade, C. Frazier dropped, and the additions are Tanaka, Garcia, and Montgomery.

DLYeK60V4AI40H_.jpg
Garcia and Montgomery as situational lefties in place of Shreve? I might have left one of them off and brought #77. Otherwise very solid roster imo.

Garcia and Montgomery as situational lefties in place of Shreve? I might have left one of them off and brought #77. Otherwise very solid roster imo.
Not surprised Girardi would opt for the extra arm, but I would have loved to see Frazier on this roster.

Sunday = Yankees - Indians

Sunday = Son's birthday

Son is huge Yankees fan.

Take a wild guess where we are going to be Sunday????
Back in my heyday, Sunday would be a GUARAN--TEED double dip day.

Giants game at 8AM for the Tailgate, back in City around 5-530, drop of the Simms jersey, put on the Munson...and head up to the Bronx.

Monday is a holiday and would sleep it away...

Back in my heyday, Sunday would be a GUARAN- 'N-TEED double dip day.

Giants game at 8AM for the Tailgate, back in City around 5-530, drop of the Simms jersey, put on the Munson...and head up to the Bronx.

Monday is a holiday and would sleep it away...
The stars are definitely aligned for Sunday night. My son wants me to meet him in Saratoga and head down for the game.

PS, I wear a Munson also.

My two favorite teams? the Yankees and ANYONE playing the Red Sox. Can this be a de facto Red Sox thread as well? Go Astros!

My two favorite teams? the Yankees and ANYONE playing the Red Sox. Can this be a de facto Red Sox thread as well? Go Astros!

I'd cheer for the Red Sox against the Dodgers. Or lately, the Giants.

You're gonna need br801's approval for that. :)

God dang, Bauer’s curve is so nasty. Ugh

Trouble for Yankee hitters if this ump keeps giving the low strike. But they have to adjust, or face Kluber down 0-1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom