2017 Yankees Thread | Page 110 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Yankees Thread

Yikes. I haven't seen the tweet but someone was ripping girardi on twitter and chapman liked it.

Yikes. I haven't seen the tweet but someone was ripping girardi on twitter and chapman liked it.

The Score app sent me an alert this morning that said Chapman hit like on an instagram post saying Girardi is an imbecile.

Not the ideal time to lose the team. Or the fans. Or the other coaches. Or the General Manager. Or the owner.

I picture tomorrow night, Tanaka cruising thru 4, throwing 54 pitches. Leadoff man gets an infield single in the 5th and out comes Joe to pull him. The booing will be deafening.

Hey Girardi...

6b54d59fa9102480da32b603613fb051acb00214fbe5e3864f9b355ed4c7a235.jpg

Pretty weird Girardi isn't owning it. Not a great look, and not helping to show his guys they should be accountable.

The Score app sent me an alert this morning that said Chapman hit like on an instagram post saying Girardi is an imbecile.

Not the ideal time to lose the team. Or the fans. Or the other coaches. Or the General Manager. Or the owner.

I picture tomorrow night, Tanaka cruising thru 4, throwing 54 pitches. Leadoff man gets an infield single in the 5th and out comes Joe to pull him. The booing will be deafening.

That was it. It wasn't twitter. My brother was telling me about it at the tailgate. He saw it on the score app also.

That was it. It wasn't twitter. My brother was telling me about it at the tailgate. He saw it on the score app also.
Could be a language barrier thing. Maybe he thought it meant idiot.

I'm disappointed over the loss last night, just as we all are. But one big play isn't the whole game. When I coached at my school, I always told the kids, "If you don't want to get beaten by a hail Mary, a buzzer-beater or a bad call, play better sooner. Because that's what you have control over. We had 13 innings, that's 39 outs, to get it done and we didn't. So blaming Girardi is like blaming the umps. It's especially stupid when a closer who went a whole month and couldn't throw a strike (read: couldn't do his own job) points the finger at someone else. He should just shut the hell up, for if he did his job better over the second half - like he's paid millions to do, we're not in that situation. Just IMHO. And I'll see myself out now ...

I'm disappointed over the loss last night, just as we all are. But one big play isn't the whole game. When I coached at my school, I always told the kids, "If you don't want to get beaten by a hail Mary, a buzzer-beater or a bad call, play better sooner. Because that's what you have control over. We had 13 innings, that's 39 outs, to get it done and we didn't. So blaming Girardi is like blaming the umps. It's especially stupid when a closer who went a whole month and couldn't throw a strike (read: couldn't do his own job) points the finger at someone else. He should just shut the hell up, for if he did his job better over the second half - like he's paid millions to do, we're not in that situation. Just IMHO. And I'll see myself out now ...
I normally hate when people point to one big moment within a game and say it cost a team the win. But I'll make an exception here, because what happened in the aftermath completely changed everything, and particularly because it was entirely out of character for Girardi to not dispute the call. The fact that he chose to not own his decision (at least publicly anyway) only adds some crappy icing on the cake.

I'd be fine thinking like this if Girardi owned it.

He didn't and he's not. So it is on him.

Not only his catcher, but does anyone remember the last time a player got hit on the hand and didn’t experience any kind of pain? Unless it was Roy Munson and the rubber hand.

Should have been huge red flags to review.

He needs to tell the team to relax and have fun now and tell them no matter what happens all the blame is on him. Help take the pressure off. Although with his lack of accountability in the postgame comments, who knows what goes thru that mind.
thats what irks me.

A Chad Green change up or whatever is 90mph. U get hit on the hand...you start dancing around like your pants are on fire before you double over and grab it.

The batter was ready to drop his bat and wait for his glove to take the field.

Why does the ump make that call even??

But to not review it is hoop-board-esque on the stupidity level.

Girardi had the safest job this side of Francona and Maddon, now it's hot seat city.

He won't lose his job this year, but its win or else next year now.

I'd be fine thinking like this if Girardi owned it.

He didn't and he's not. So it is on him.

Yeah, I think that's bothering me.

I get what Cowtown is saying, but this blunder (that 99.9% of Earth knew was a blunder) was too dramatic of an impact on the game.

You can blame the Yankees for not scoring more runs, or Green for giving up the granny, or Robertson for giving up the HR, or Betances for giving up the final run. Or Frazier for his errors. Of course, all of that contributed. But most of those shouldn't have been on the radar.

And when it was done, Girardi's explanation showed no accountability. If he was afraid he would get killed for it, he now knows that all he did was make it worse.

Yeah, I think that's bothering me.

I get what Cowtown is saying, but this blunder (that 99.9% of Earth knew was a blunder) was too dramatic of an impact on the game.

You can blame the Yankees for not scoring more runs, or Green for giving up the granny, or Robertson for giving up the HR, or Betances for giving up the final run. Or Frazier for his errors. Of course, all of that contributed. But most of those shouldn't have been on the radar.

And when it was done, Girardi's explanation showed no accountability. If he was afraid he would get killed for it, he now knows that all he did was make it worse.
If his response in the presser was something like "Yeah, that's going to go down as one of the all time managerial blunders, huh? I'd do it differently if I could," I think everyone would be fine.

thats what irks me.

A Chad Green change up or whatever is 90mph. U get hit on the hand...you start dancing around like your pants are on fire before you double over and grab it.

The batter was ready to drop his bat and wait for his glove to take the field.

Why does the ump make that call even??

But to not review it is hoop-board-esque on the stupidity level.

Girardi had the safest job this side of Francona and Maddon, now it's hot seat city.

He won't lose his job this year, but its win or else next year now.

His contract is up after this season. I hope they cut the cord now

Funny, it's like Frazier's two errors, leading to two unearned runs, never happened ...
upload_2017-10-7_9-58-57.gif

Also overshadowed is Joe taking out CC, who was dealing at that point, after 77 pitches when one guy got on base in the 6th with a 5 run lead. Classic panic and over managing by Joe

Also overshadowed is Joe taking out CC, who was dealing at that point, after 77 pitches when one guy got on base in the 6th with a 5 run lead. Classic panic and over managing by Joe
In Girardi's defense, CC often comes unraveled in a hurry so I can't fault him there.

In Girardi's defense, CC often comes unraveled in a hurry so I can't fault him there.
Game came unraveled quickly right after he took CC out.

Girardi failing to own his mistake consumes all of the others.

I don't agree with that. And anyway from the replays I've seen, I don't know that there's the requisite "conclusive evidence" to overturn that call even if Girardi does ask for the review. The one thing I will put on him, though, is that he should "take one for the team," step up and say (even if it wasn't) "It was my mistake." That way the team can put it behind them, and not let it become an obstacle to winning game three.

It sure did. But it was still less likely to happen to Green, a guy who has basically been dominant and unhittable all year.

Well, he was at 77 pitches. Isn't that about as far as he usually has gone this year? (honest question)

Well, he was at 77 pitches. Isn't that about as far as he usually has gone this year? (honest question)
More like 90.

And that's because they were saving him for October.

Now at most, he'd have 2 starts left.

Empty the tank big fella!!

Nope.

Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but when he pulled him, I was ok with it. I was thinking 'wow, 13 outs!! I didn't think he'd get to 6 they way he started!!'

I wasn't looking at pitch count at all.

By my count, he threw 77 pitches or more in 18 of 27 starts this season, so no. But this wasn't a Wednesday afternoon game in June, so there was no reason to try to squeeze a few more outs from him last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom