2017 Yankees Thread | Page 124 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Yankees Thread

Well, that botched call in the 2nd game that set up Lindor's salami could have gone better, but that was just one call. And you're right, putting the wraps on Santana and Ramirez was enormous. And for all Lindor's promise and bright future, Didi was the better SS all through the series. Tonight the two Cleveland players that worried me the most, Kluber and Allen, came up dry. I was ecstatic when Gardy battled Allen and knocked in the last two. New York's pitching was better, and their hitters wore down a pretty good Cleveland staff.

Well, Kluber pitched about as poor as he could've had in this series. A probable Cy-Young winner that couldn't get out of the 3 and 4th innings in his starts. Allen, for a closer is nerve wracking for Tribe fans. He never comes in as most closer types and retires the side 1,2, 3. All year he walks guys (just like he walked Frasier before Gardner) repeatedly getting behind in the count, etc. That ump behind the plate tonight was atrocious as well, many calls that were balls could've easily been strikes. But that's how it goes sometimes...

What's the over/under on how many writers tomorrow beat the "Did Cleveland peak too soon?" question to death?

What's the over/under on how many writers tomorrow beat the "Did Cleveland peak too soon?" question to death?

Probably as much as writers writing on the Tribe self-implosion. Cleveland fans unfortunately are use to inventing new ways of finding ways to lose... :(

Probably as much as writers writing on the Tribe self-implosion.

The Bird HR was what buried them. They got the mother of all good breaks in game 2, then a solid start from Carrasco and they still couldn't close the deal. Last year's 0-3 WS melt down moved back into their heads for the rest of the series after that. And really, I don't dislike their team, I'm just a NYY fan. :)

Yeah, especially those 9 errors. And, Kluber in both of his outings having absolutely no command of his pitches in his short stints. :rolleyes:

Definitely some sloppy moments out there. Even still, the jackson error was off a single before Frazier walked. Hard to know what effect that had given hicks eventually got to second anyway. Perez error off ellsbury swing, apparently he's known for that. I didn't know they called that an error.

Biggest error by far was the bruce throw in. Didn't end up mattering, but certainly could have.

Yeah, especially those 9 errors. And, Kluber in both of his outings having absolutely no command of his pitches in his short stints. :rolleyes:
It's cause the Yankees put the fear in.

The Bird HR was what buried them. They got the mother of all good breaks in game 2, then a solid start from Carrasco and they still couldn't close the deal. Last year's 0-3 WS melt down moved back into their heads for the rest of the series after that. And really, I don't dislike their team, I'm just a NYY fan. :)

I agree they were fortunate in Game 2. As bad as Lindor was in this series (only 2 hits, one being that Grand Salami in Game 2) he was a foot short of hitting a 2 run homer in game 3 that would've gave the Tribe a 2-1 victory. If you recall, Bird should've been called out for strike 3 prior to his HR on a pitch where the replay showed he did not check his swing. This is a Yankees thread, so I get the general homerism by most, though you have been objective. :)

Definitely some sloppy moments out there. Even still, the jackson error was off a single before Frazier walked. Hard to know what effect that had given hicks eventually got to second anyway. Perez error off ellsbury swing, apparently he's known for that. I didn't know they called that an error.

Biggest error by far was the bruce throw in. Didn't end up mattering, but certainly could have.

Don't forget the 6 unearned runs on 4 errors in game 4. The Indians have no one to blame but themselves. They played about as poor as a series as possible...I doubt they would have 9 errors in a month's worth of games, let alone 5...which cost them 8 or 9 unearned runs.

Don't forget the 6 unearned runs on 4 errors in game 4. The Indians have no one to blame but themselves. They played about as poor as a series as possible...I doubt they would have 9 errors in a month's worth of games, let alone 5...which cost them 8 or 9 unearned runs.
Those first 4 unearned should have been earned anyway, as that rocket Castro hit off Urshela's leg should not have been ruled an error. That ball was hit so hard he never even got his glove on it; had it not hit him and instead gone straight through to the outfield, no one it their right mind calls that an error.

Last edited:
Props for the comeback.

When you beat that team you know you have a WS championship team.

Houston has a crazy deep lineup. But that bullpen is the way to beat them.

Yankees need Judge to hit a little though.

Did the Yankees announce their game 1 starter? Gray or Tanaka?

Congrats Yankees fans. I was wrong. Always nice to see good things happen to one of sports most modest fan bases who never gets to win anything.
I can't remember - is KC still the Yankees farm club? :p

Did the Yankees announce their game 1 starter? Gray or Tanaka?

I don’t believe so. Not updated on MLB.com yet.

Whoever starts game 2 never gets a home start, so Tanaka game 1 on regular (American) rest would be my guess.

Another baseball season, another World Series-worthy Cleveland Indians team underachieves and makes an early exit from the playoffs.

Hardly a surprise. The Cleveland Indians will never win diddly, and shouldn't, as long as the owners stubbornly hold onto this outdated, just-plain wrong logo. The Curse of Chief Wahoo is a pretty, pretty, pretty powerful maloik.
791px-Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg.png

I don’t believe so. Not updated on MLB.com yet.

Whoever starts game 2 never gets a home start, so Tanaka game 1 on regular (American) rest would be my guess.
That's what Flaherty just said on the Boomer show. Gray has bumped to Game 4.

Joe should talk this afternoon.

I agree they were fortunate in Game 2. As bad as Lindor was in this series (only 2 hits, one being that Grand Salami in Game 2) he was a foot short of hitting a 2 run homer in game 3 that would've gave the Tribe a 2-1 victory. If you recall, Bird should've been called out for strike 3 prior to his HR on a pitch where the replay showed he did not check his swing. This is a Yankees thread, so I get the general homerism by most, though you have been objective. :)

I touched on that missed call earlier here, but also tempered it with the observation that the missed HPB call in game 2 was blown by the umps, so one could say the bad calls evened out. It was discomforting to see how the wildly inconsistent plate ump in game 5 scrambled the game. There were a lot of looks back at the ump and some shaking heads on both sides.

Those first 4 unearned should have been earned anyway, as that rocket Castro hit off Urshela's leg should not have been ruled an error. That ball was hit so hard he never even got his glove on it; had it not hit him and instead gone straight through to the outfield, no one it their right mind calls that an error.

Big deal it was hit hard. It's the Major Leagues and it was hit right at him...taught in little league to have your glove down. It was an error all the way at this level and that's why it was scored that way. But hey, have fun playing official scorer from your keyboard while simultaneously being one of those mentioned modest Yankee fans. ;)

Tanaka-Sevy-CC -Gray
Can CC get regular rest and start game 2? If so I’d swap him and sevy. Sevy much better at home and cc has been a road warrior in playoffs.

Big deal it was hit hard. It's the Major Leagues and it was hit right at him...taught in little league to have your glove down. It was an error all the way at this level and that's why it was scored that way. But hey, have fun playing official scorer from your keyboard while simultaneously being one of those mentioned modest Yankee fans. ;)

In my judgment it was an error, just like it was when we were kids. But as the pitching has grown more dominant and batting averages dwindle, official scorers in MLB have been giving the "benefit of the doubt" to batters on that. It helps reduce speculation that pitching needs to be checked in some way (ie, shaving the mound, etc.).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom