2017 Yankees Thread | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Yankees Thread

The Yankees and A's finally agree on a Sonny Gray deal with the A's getting SS/CF Jorge Mateo, OF Dustin Fowler and RHP James Kaprelian. The A's take some risk here as Fowler (season-ending knee injury) and Kaprelian (Tommy John) are both injured. All three have high ceiling ability, although Mateo and Fowler will need to improve their plate discipline or they'll be exposed in the majors. If you're a Yankees fan you have to love this deal, getting Gray for this year plus the next two.

David Schoenfield, ESPN Senior Writer

Reed is going to help you a lot, the guy is tough.
Honestly I hate this years team. Pedroia and Price are gutless babies infecting that clubhouse. They are treated like gods the media the Red Sox media outside of Dan Shaughnessy is charmin soft. The ownership disepescts its fanbase and the team has no fight.
Reed could help but they deserve not to make the playoffs.
Pedroia, Price, Bradley, Porcello, Young, Bientiendi, Moreland disrespected Dennis Eckersley and suck.

Yankees and Rays will pass them.

Because of his injury I think Kaprelian was two years out...he probably would have been up end of this year and next year...he will need to play most of next year in the minors to get back...

Honestly I hate this years team. Pedroia and Price are gutless babies infecting that clubhouse. They are treated like gods the media the Red Sox media outside of Dan Shaughnessy is charmin soft. The ownership disepescts its fanbase and the team has no fight.
Pedroia, Price, Bradley, Porcello, Young, Bientiendi, Moreland disrespected Dennis Eckersley and suck.

You could always become a Yankees fan...once you go Yankee, you never go back!!

Price is a bum, couldn't agree more, I like your team, not sold one bit on the Rays, don't think they are for real, I think the Sox edge out the Yankees by a couple of games, and Reed is going to help you big time.

As a Yankee fan looking from the outside it appears to me the biggest issue for the Sox is the farm system seems weak by Boston standards, I would even say decimated. Obviously they got a lot of it in Sale and Kimbrel and Thornberg(sp?) would probably be a nice piece if he wasn't injured. That said I am not sure what there plan is for the future right now. Price's contract seems like its heading toward an albatross in the next few years, Hanley's in the twilight of his career, Pedroia is slowing down and there doesn't' seem to be a lot in the pipeline. Obviously Betts, Benitendi, Sale, Kimbrel, and a few others are a top end core but how much is Boston willing to spend with so many big contracts already and a lot of there young talent hitting the market in the next 2-3 years.

I should note Boston's current bull pen is probably the best I can remember or at least way up there. If they can get anything from Carson Smith they can be very dangerous this season.

The sux have a good and talented team, but I think poor leadership will be their undoing...

Price is a bum, couldn't agree more, I like your team, not sold one bit on the Rays, don't think they are for real, I think the Sox edge out the Yankees by a couple of games, and Reed is going to help you big time.
Sox have a majority of their remaining games at Fenway. That may be the deciding factor. It may be over after Labor Day weekend though after they visit the Stadium. Have tickets for the Sept 2nd game.

Some quick housekeeping:

Ramirez comes off the 40, and makes room for Gray.

Mateo comes off the 40, and makes room for a possible Bird return next month.

Yanks will have to make a couple of 25 moves to fit both Gray and Garcia in.

In my mind the Yankees have a core that looks pretty solid for a long time between Sanchez, Gregorius, Castro, Judge and Frazier with gaps at the corners (could be resolved by Bird/Torres) and CF (Hicks/dream big on Harper?). The only one making any real money from that group for now is Castro and that's true for years to come. The starting pitching long term needs help - Severino ideally remains solid, now we've got Gray, maybe Jordan Montgomery can keep developing, but beyond that we need some players. I wouldn't mind if Tanaka straightens out and stays. Hopefully Adams/Sheffield become something down the road. Yankees would seem to be a premier FA destination for a starting pitcher and they have a lot of money coming off the book sin the next few years.
The NYY also get $1.5M in international money...
I don't know what that means but I love it.

As a Yankee fan looking from the outside it appears to me the biggest issue for the Sox is the farm system seems weak by Boston standards, I would even say decimated. Obviously they got a lot of it in Sale and Kimbrel and Thornberg(sp?) would probably be a nice piece if he wasn't injured. That said I am not sure what there plan is for the future right now. Price's contract seems like its heading toward an albatross in the next few years, Hanley's in the twilight of his career, Pedroia is slowing down and there doesn't' seem to be a lot in the pipeline. Obviously Betts, Benitendi, Sale, Kimbrel, and a few others are a top end core but how much is Boston willing to spend with so many big contracts already and a lot of there young talent hitting the market in the next 2-3 years.

I should note Boston's current bull pen is probably the best I can remember or at least way up there. If they can get anything from Carson Smith they can be very dangerous this season.
Farm system has been gutted but it has brought back a lot.

Chris Sale cost their top 2 prospects.
They got Drew Pomenraz last year for a stud prospect pitcher who is getting Tommy John now.
They traded 4 prospects including 2 decent ones for Craig Kimbrel.

The trades have gutted the system but they have yielded all solid returns.

The problem for the Red Sox is they have no leadership and are front runners who can't grind. They score 4 runs they win. They score 3 or less they can't win.

The Sox farm system has home grown most of their team. Betts, Bradley Jr. Bientiendi, Bogaerts, Pedroia are all home grown.
They have 3 legit prospects left. Including a real super prospect in Rafael Devers. He would be the Red Sox Clint Frazier.

The only one making real money is Pedroia. They have wasted 31 million dollars on Price. The ownership wasted 41 million dollars on Ramirez and the released Sandoval. Their contracts run out in 2 years and the ownership won't go over the luxury tax. Sandoval and Hanley are killing the payroll but Pedroia and Price are babies killing the clubhouse with toxicity.

Gray isn't a front line starter, and who knows if he can pitch in Ny, thats a lot to give up.
He isn't a front line starter? Come on. You're just trolling now, Mr. Met.

Farm system has been gutted but it has brought back a lot.

Chris Sale cost their top 2 prospects.
They got Drew Pomenraz last year for a stud prospect pitcher who is getting Tommy John now.
They traded 4 prospects including 2 decent ones for Craig Kimbrel.

The trades have gutted the system but they have yielded all solid returns.

The problem for the Red Sox is they have no leadership and are front runners who can't grind. They score 4 runs they win. They score 3 or less they can't win.

The Sox farm system has home grown most of their team. Betts, Bradley Jr. Bientiendi, Bogaerts, Pedroia are all home grown.

The only one making real money is Pedroia. They have wasted 31 million dollars on Price. The ownership wasted 41 million dollars on Ramirez and the released Sandoval. Their contracts run out in 2 years and the ownership won't go over the luxury tax. Sandoval and Hanley are killing the payroll but Pedroia and Price are babies killing the clubhouse with toxicity.

Worst Red Sox lineup in 20 plus years.

In my mind the Yankees have a core that looks pretty solid for a long time between Sanchez, Gregorius, Castro, Judge and Frazier with gaps at the corners (could be resolved by Bird/Torres) and CF (Hicks/dream big on Harper?). The only one making any real money from that group for now is Castro and that's true for years to come. The starting pitching long term needs help - Severino ideally remains solid, now we've got Gray, maybe Jordan Montgomery can keep developing, but beyond that we need some players. I wouldn't mind if Tanaka straightens out and stays. Hopefully Adams/Sheffield become something down the road. Yankees would seem to be a premier FA destination for a starting pitcher and they have a lot of money coming off the book sin the next few years.

I don't know what that means but I love it.

Means they can spend more on international signings...

Worst Red Sox lineup in 20 plus years.
Hanley has killed the lineup.
They have a major hole at 3rd base.
Moreland has been hurt at 1B.

Bogaerts, Bientiendi, Bradley, Betts, Pedroia, C has been okay.

Hanley has been killing them.
3b and 1B have sucked.

They needed an Edwin Encarcion last offseason but the ownership wouldn't go over the luxury tax.

Unless some teams have multiple guys in the top 1o or top 20.
Obviously the pitching talent isn't evenly distributed, but if you rank somewhere between 15 and 25 in a 15-team league, you're roughly a #2 or possibly a #1 on a weak team.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom