2018 Baseball Hall of Fame | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Baseball Hall of Fame

The Baseball HOF isn't worth discussing until they admit Clemens, Bonds and Rose. It's a god damn museum not a social club. Clemens and Bonds were involved in some of the greatest moments in baseball in the 90s and 00s, to say nothing of maybe the second greatest controversy (same with Rose for his era). Let them in, document the history for all to see. When you really have no idea how prevalent the use of PEDs was, I don't get how you take a stance on a couple of guys who were so overwhelmingly dominant.

And ditch the veterans committee. Was it the Tigers turn to have their unrecognized veterans recognized? Next year the Twins and we'll get Frank Viola, Gary Gaetti and Kent Hrbek.

I have mixed feelings on the issue but I do find it rich that Bud Selig IS in the Hall of Fame when his lack of action played a huge part leading to the whole mess.

Jack Morris getting in tells me eventually Schilling gets in.

Schilling will get in, probably before he gets off the BBWAA ballot. That's my guess.

He was 45% last year, he's got 5 years left on the ballot. (wow, he's been on the ballot for 5 years. Man) At some point the ballot will clear up and people will stop making him wait for being a douche.

I just looked at Jack Morris numbers and he had the same ERA+ and walk rate as Tim Wakefield.

LOL.
Wow I never realized how medicore his numbers truly are.
I mean I get the postseason stuff but his regular season numbers aren’t elite outside of innings pitched per year.

I just looked at Jack Morris numbers and he had the same ERA+ and walk rate as Tim Wakefield.

LOL.
Wow I never realized how medicore his numbers truly are.
I mean I get the postseason stuff but his regular season numbers aren’t elite outside of innings pitched per year.

He's in for one game. He wasn't even that great in the playoffs as a whole, but he picked a hell of a time to pitch the game of his life.

That, and he's got the most wins int he 80's, and people love round numbers.

My 10 votes:

Trevor Hoffman
Vladimir Guerrero
Edgar Martinez
Roger Clemens
Barry Bonds
Chipper Jones
Jim Thome
Mike Mussina
Curt Schilling
Manny Ramirez

I swapped out Hoffman for Walker, otherwise we have the same ballot.

Jack Morris is in and David Cone got like 3% of the votes and went off the ballot in one year. Was Morris a better pitcher than Cone? No, IMO. He just was a little healthier and made 130 more starts over the course of respective very long careers. Cone has even more significant accomplishments though.

Cone won a Cy Young and 5 World Series’s - 4 of which he was a huge part of.

Hell, Dave Stewart was a better postseason pitcher than both. Just took him too long to find his niche, so he didn’t compile the career numbers. But for 6-7 years he was top notch, and in the biggest moments too.

Alan Trammell was really good. Deserved the 87 MVP and would have been in a while ago if he got it, I think

Bunch of gold gloves and could hit and run. Gotta remember he came well before the ARod, Nomar, Tejada, Jeter, etc era where many SS’s carried the offensive load too. Gotta look at how they compared to their era.

I was young, but Ripken, Ozzie, and Trammell were the big 3 in my mind back then.

Last edited:
Jack Morris is in and David Cone got like 3% of the votes and went off the ballot in one year. Was Morris a better pitcher than Cone? No, IMO. He just was a little healthier and made 130 more starts over the course of respective very long careers. Cone has even more significant accomplishments though.

Cone won a Cy Young and 5 World Series’s - 4 of which he was a huge part of.

Hell, Dave Stewart was a better postseason pitcher than both. Just took him too long to find his niche, so he didn’t compile the career numbers. But for 6-7 years he was top notch, and in the biggest moments too.
Frank Tanana has a better resume than Morris.
They are from the same era.
Tanana has a better ERA, ERA+, WAR. He didn’t close to getting in.
Jack Morris is an awful selection.

upload_2017-12-12_18-47-26.png

I’m biased but I’d put Orel Hershiser in before him too. If we’re talking postseason, does anybody in history have a better claim to carrying a baseball team to a title than Orel? Not just in the playoffs, but all season. That season was so great that it’s easy to forget he also finished top 4 for the Cy Young 3 other times. Hurt by a major injury at 31 when he was right in his prime and was never the same, but also had a very nice second act as a very solid pitcher once he recovered.

* and since I mentioned Orel and Cone, as a kid I asked David Cone for his autograph while wearing a Dodgers hat. This was in the off-season after ‘88 when the Dodgers had beat the Mets in the NLCS and won the series. Cone asked me “do you want me to sign it ‘Orel Hershiser’”?

Yeah he isn’t talked about but he was a really good pitcher in the 1980’s.
Pre-cable.
He was that tall lefty Jamie Moyer before Moyer.
He is the hall of very good but not a HOFer.

Funny too because when Frank Tanana first started he threw gas. Not sure if he got hurt or something but he became a junkballer

I tend to think Griffey Jr. Is a bit overrated. Great career crest, very popular and beloved player. I think the steroid era helped him become a foil to the juicers.

The key to your post is that Rivera was the best all-time at his position.

I agree, plus too many injuries with Griffey.

I agree, plus too many injuries with Griffey.
I will say this, and I make this statement very carefully... it's odd to me given his injury history, and the belief that the juicers suffered injuries as a consequence of their steroid use, that Griffey is almost universally considered to be clean.

I will say this, and I make this statement very carefully... it's odd to me given his injury history, and the belief that the juicers suffered injuries as a consequence of their steroid use, that Griffey is almost universally considered to be clean.

Never any noticeable bulking up that seemed abnormal and never any unusual career statistical jumps. He had a normal career arc for a superstar talent, just got hurt a lot.

It’s not like he was basically out of the league and then found steroids, changed his name...and started hitting .320 35 100 like David (Arias) Ortiz.

Nor did his career look like Bonds. Bonds would’ve had Griffey’s career without roids.

It’s not like he was basically out of the league and then found steroids, changed his name...and started hitting .320 35 100 like David (Arias) Ortiz.

Nor did his career look like Bonds. Bonds would’ve had Griffey’s career without roids.
Griffey's career was much like that of Frank Robinson statistically and in terms of longevity, and was similar to Mantle's with injuries sidelining them for significant time starting around age 30.

Hoffman barely missed last year and should get in on the 3rd try this year. He's the guy that Mo passed for that all times saves lead. I'm wondering if there are enough writers out there that will not vote Rivera in year one to make some sort of statement about relief pitchers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom