Class of 2018 - 2018 Grad Transfers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 2018 Grad Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a full year of college stats for him. “Not incredible” wasn’t meant as harsh criticism. He’s good. But I don’t think the expectation should be that he’ll be a game changer, especially out of position at SF.
I thought he was injured/banged up most of that year?

Prepare yourself for a heavy dose of Bazely at the 5.

Carey/Howard/Hughes/brissett/Bazley.

That will be the crunch time 5 many nights.

Washington, Moyer Dolezaj/chukwu/Sidibe and sliding Carey to the bench make for a great set of options and flexibility.
Yuck. He's what, like 6'9 200 soaking wet? We might as well play Marek there. It's going backwards IMO. I can see it in a pinch (ala Lydon), against mighty-mite teams, or to press, etc. Otherwise it's a return to the days when we were getting slaughtered on the glass. It's SO MUCH BETTER to have someone like Chukwu in the middle ... even with his limitations. He totally changes the zone defensively. Yes his O is limited (8 ppg over 40m). But bookending Baze and Brissett around him, with Howard/Carey up top and Hughes/Buddy at the 2 ... we'll have plenty of offense and still be able to defend the interior and rebound.

[Add] This is exactly why we could use another big ... to avoid having our (thin) forwards trying to play in the middle ... unless situationally we're desperate for scoring or playing a very small team.

Last edited:
DBaze is smaller than OSB.
Have any of you even seen him? He’s not much beefier than Marek.
(Of course, that didn’t stop JB from playing Marek, or Rico at the 5)

Between those two, DBaze is more of a 3, and OSB more of a 4.

No doubt, Baze IS a 3 (that's most likely his position in the NBA, too).

In the context of Jake's point about getting the best 5 on the floor at times (which I think will happen similarly to the way Lydon was used), the better rim protector between Baze and OB will be "used" as the 5 on D. That doesn't mean that guy is a 5.

I thought he was injured/banged up most of that year?

He might've been, I don't have any in-depth insight. I've just seen his stats, where he was ranked coming out of high school, and what we've all heard about his practices here. I guess my point is, if we're going to rely on a small lineup, Hughes would need to be great, not just good or even very good.

We're finally going to have the starters and the depth to field one of the longest zones we've had, with 4 offensive threats on the floor, and everybody playing in their natural position. It's just odd, given the results the last few seasons, to suggest that playing two guys out of position and getting considerably smaller at those positions would be the recipe for success.

Anyway, this is super off topic for the thread, so I'll just leave it for now. I'm sure this discussion will come up quite a bit on the main board once the off-season gets here.

He might've been, I don't have any in-depth insight. I've just seen his stats, where he was ranked coming out of high school, and what we've all heard about his practices here. I guess my point is, if we're going to rely on a small lineup, Hughes would need to be great, not just good or even very good.

We're finally going to have the starters and the depth to field one of the longest zones we've had, with 4 offensive threats on the floor, and everybody playing in their natural position. It's just odd, given the results the last few seasons, to suggest that playing two guys out of position and getting considerably smaller at those positions would be the recipe for success.

Anyway, this is super off topic for the thread, so I'll just leave it for now. I'm sure this discussion will come up quite a bit on the main board once the off-season gets here.

It's only "odd" if you are assuming that will be the standard lineup. It won't be, IMO. But...late in games, when we need to score, those are the 5 guys I expect to see on the floor regardless of who is playing out of position.

It's only "odd" if you are assuming that will be the standard lineup. It won't be, IMO. But...late in games, when we need to score, those are the 5 guys I expect to see on the floor regardless of who is playing out of position.

When you need to score, you also need to defend. Learning one position in the zone is tough. Learning a second, especially Center (the 'quarterback' of our defense), is really tough. There should be very few games next season where we're playing from behind in crunch time.

The best bet is to have Sidibe healthy blocking shots and scoring inside.
Sidibe's got a bigger upside offensively, than Chukwu, no doubt. But they complement each other. Chukwu is a bigger presence on interior D, and he runs the floor extremely well. Sidibe's hobbled this year so comparisons are unfair. But just for information, even with a sore back Chukwu is blocking nearly twice as many shots per 40M as Sidibe (4 vs. 2.3 bpg). And Chukwu's per 40M scoring (8) isn't much worse than Sidibe's (8.8) ... although Sidibe's going to get better and more mobile when his knee recovers.

2017-18 Syracuse Orange Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Last edited:
Everything needs to be considered on a case-by-case basis, with situational need factored in. But I'm of the belief that we should never dismiss a source to add talent, if the right situation arises.

If we are doing what we need to on the recruiting trail, then hopefully we'll never find the roster in a situation again where we have to add fifth year transfers to fill gaping holes, but if some quality prospect wants to come here who can bolster the team, the coaching staff would be foolish not to consider tapping into the fifth year transfer market again. Again, it can and should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

North Carolina won the NC last year, but I'm sure they are happy they added Cam Johnson to this year's squad.

Everything needs to be considered on a case-by-case basis, with situational need factored in. But I'm of the belief that we should never dismiss a source to add talent, if the right situation arises.

If we are doing what we need to on the recruiting trail, then hopefully we'll never find the roster in a situation again where we have to add fifth year transfers to fill gaping holes, but if some quality prospect wants to come here who can bolster the team, the coaching staff would be foolish not to consider tapping into the fifth year transfer market again. Again, it can and should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

North Carolina won the NC last year, but I'm sure they are happy they added Cam Johnson to this year's squad.

White was an A+ addition.

Gillon was B or B- I'd say.

Thorpe was an .

So we're passing at least. Too many, though, for a program like ours -- or what we'd like to think of our program as, I guess.

Washington, Moyer Dolezaj/chukwu/Sidibe and sliding Carey to the bench make for a great set of options and flexibility.
I, respectfully, don't see this happening, We are a defense-first program right now. This is the (new?) reality.

That means, Chukwu's in at crunch time, whether we are ahead (don't let them score), close (don't let them get the lead) or behind (score and press).

sidibe >> carey

Bazley is 195 lbs. I hope nobody is considering him playing the 5.
Can we get some decent size up front so we can stop being bullied by UNC?

????? bad taste? You mean like Andrew and John keeping us from sucking last year?

Gillon & Thorpe - forgot to brush their teeth since March 1st, that's how bad the taste is, which is very recent, yes MG, excited about Hughes, Andrew White was a model citizen, but i know they prefer not taking any transfers, like i said bad taste

um, dash? we sucked last year
um Moqui, it would have been much worse without Gillon. He won us a couple of games outright. we beat three top 10 to top 12 teams last year and lost to another in OT. would we have been better off with k. joseph?

um Moqui, it would have been much worse without Gillon. He won us a couple of games outright.
his - or, rather, their - defense cost us many more

oh please. Once again, we would have been better off with Joseph?
that's not the point. point is whether self interested mercenaries with no commitment to the system are worthwhile. to me the evidence points to no.

that's not the point. point is whether self interested mercenaries with no commitment to the system are worthwhile. to me the evidence points to no.
They seemed to have done well for other teams and I liked Andrew white more than you I guess.

They seemed to have done well for other teams and I liked Andrew white more than you I guess.
he was the better of the two, and it would have been nice to have gotten him as a freshman, but i thought he showed no interest in learning the defense.

that team could have been good if it had been just played syracuse-average defense, but to varying degrees white and gillon (and thompson) lacked interest or aptitude to play it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom