2018 Mets thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Mets thread

Exactly. I don't know if there's record evidence on this board, but I remember complaining about this that fall and winter.

He'd pitched pretty well but also a) had the ridiculous skipping the playoff workout session incident and b) showed what I think is a lack of focus (for which Terry should share some blame) by getting into that shouting match with Terry before the 9th inning in Game 5.

He had real trade value then but I was no longer bullish on his future at a Met. Best case, he continued to pitch well, matured a bit, and ended up signing with the Yankees in a couple years (as friends liked to remind me). Worst case...well, here we are.
In other words, the Mets were to scared to be the Metsby trading him and watching him blossom, so by doing nothing...they pulled a Mets.

I feel really bad for Matt. Hard to go from being an elite talent to someone who is struggling to stay in the starting rotation is less than 2.5 years. The world was his oyster until his body began to betray him. I sincerely believe that it is all mental at this point. He puts an enormous amount of pressure on him to be what he once was. He needs to see a sports psychologist and then the healing can truly begin. One thing is for sure, he is going to need a strong support system around him this Winter as he sees Machado, Harper and Kershaw get those big deals we all thought he would get in 2015, even after TJ when he bounced back.
I really don't not a good guy Matt is all about himself.

If we can win tonight we'll be 15-5. I know we aren't going to win 75% of our games this year. But I don't want to see 15-5 turn into 25-20. I want to see it become 30-15, 50-30, 80-50, etc. This should not be a mediocre season that just happened to have a good start.

I really don't not a good guy Matt is all about himself.

Fully admitting I'm a Braves fan, but I totally agree that Matt has always seemed very full of himself, especially after his initial success and he seemed to really get caught up in the NYC lifestyle.

the real answer was send him down , but no way that works out with his head.

he just needs to learn how to pitch at 92-94. his velocity is fine to get guys out, but his location his bad.

not sure how this works out

Crazy deGrom stats. he has like 42 wins in his career. they have blown 19 games he left with the lead. and he as left with 0 or 1 win run 47 times out of 111 starts.

Crazy deGrom stats. he has like 42 wins in his career. they have blown 19 games he left with the lead. and he as left with 0 or 1 win run 47 times out of 111 starts.
And right on cue the bp blows it again. This is why we can't get too excited.

If we can win tonight we'll be 15-5. I know we aren't going to win 75% of our games this year. But I don't want to see 15-5 turn into 25-20. I want to see it become 30-15, 50-30, 80-50, etc. This should not be a mediocre season that just happened to have a good start.

Well, 14-6 isn't bad. Now we need to go 16-9 to get to 30-15.

Not sure how far this team can go when Rosario is the 2nd hitter on the team i kind of trust.. Nimmo the next man and he seldom plays. Still to be 14-6 with two multi run 8th inning blown saves. Just hit a little and they will be solid

the real answer was send him down , but no way that works out with his head.

he just needs to learn how to pitch at 92-94. his velocity is fine to get guys out, but his location his bad.

not sure how this works out

His velocity isn't great, and I don't think he's going to learn to pitch at 92-93 for a simple reason; his arm is shot. His velocity is down, his breaking stuff doesn't bite like it used to. He's just a diminished pitcher.

It's still kind of a mediocre team though.

His velocity isn't great, and I don't think he's going to learn to pitch at 92-93 for a simple reason; his arm is shot. His velocity is down, his breaking stuff doesn't bite like it used to. He's just a diminished pitcher.

It's still kind of a mediocre team though.

We'll see. I like the line-up other than the catching situation. They can plug Vargas into Harvey's spot and could be an upgrade. Not a lot of teams have two guys like Syndergaard and DeGrom. Familia will snap out of it. The depth on the bench is good. And I like Callaway.

We'll see. I like the line-up other than the catching situation. They can plug Vargas into Harvey's spot and could be an upgrade. Not a lot of teams have two guys like Syndergaard and DeGrom. Familia will snap out of it. The depth on the bench is good. And I like Callaway.

The top 2 in the rotation is awesome. I have a lot of question marks about spots 3-5 though.

Matt needs to do the math

Per 100 outs pitched:

Syndergaard has given up 33 baserunners and 12 earned runs.
DeGrom has given up 34 baserunners and 9 earned runs.
Wheeler has given up 33 baserunners and 10 earned runs.
Matz has given up 51 baserunners and 16 earned runs.
Harvey has given up 48 baserunners and 22 earned runs.

Robert Gselman has given up 38 baserunners and 8 earned runs.
Seth Lugo has given up 45 baserunners and 9 earned runs.

Jason Vargas last year gave up 44 baserunners and 15 earned runs on the way to an 18-11 record for KC. His injury was to his right hand but he's a lefty so it shouldn't affect his pitching.

When you are the 5th guy in the rotation, you need to get the job done. You are "on the bubble".

I can't be the only one whose patience with Familia is totally gone, right?

Nope he sucks we are never winning anything with this guy as the closer. Let gsellman close.

He had a good start, a record pace for saves. But the last couple of times out...

He reminds me a bit of Armando Benitez. A couple of big Dominican closers who looked like they should blow everybody away but they don't.

AB: Armando Benitez Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

JF: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/ /familje01.shtml

The Familia link doesn't work because the letter '(between e and g)' between players/ and /familie has been deleted by the program that runs this site. Copy and paste but add that in.

Last edited:

Like a lot of pitchers we have, it seems like he's not the same guy he was in 2015. He's still good, but he was lights out that year. (well, ok, WS aside)

The bullpen was terrific during the 12-2 start. They've been terrible since. But they didn't get much help form the fielders yesterday. There were four makeable plays botched by four different guys, (Cespedes, Rosario, Frazier and, most shocking of all, Legares), any one of which could have won the game for the Mets, as things turned out. They went 0 for 4. Golden Sombereo of fielding.

He had a good start, a record pace for saves. But the last couple of times out...

He reminds me a bit of Armando Benitez. A couple of big Dominican closers who looked like they should blow everybody away but they don't.

AB: Armando Benitez Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

JF: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/ /familje01.shtml

The Familia link doesn't work because the letter '(between e and g)' between players/ and /familie has been deleted by the program that runs this site. Copy and paste but add that in.

Familia is NOTHING like Armando Benitez. That's just not fair.

Familia is that electric blend of the junkballing John Franco and the flat 98-100 MPH flamethrowing Benitez. He throws heavy sinkers and a live FB and they look almost the same coming out of his hand, and come at you quickly.

He gets hurt by having control problems or leaving a sinker that doesn't sink up in the zone that gets clobbered. If he's on, if he can locate his FB for called strikes, he's filthy. If they can sit on his FB and ignore his sinkers in the dirt or off the plate, he's in trouble. Benitez was just straight heat. If they could catch up to the FB they'd hit him hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom