2018 Mets thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Mets thread

Bye Matt Harvey. Thanks for the couple incredible seasons and couple horrible seasons. Hopefully Hollywood Harvey doesn't end up in Cleveland or KC where he can't continue is partying ways.

This is on Alderson's pitching focused approach and the Wilson's scrap heap approach...

In modern baseball you can't rely on a dominant pitching staff and that's it... Hitters are too good and pitchers get hurt too often for that to work anymore. Also if that's the approach you are going to take then you need to have a really good D behind it. The biggest weakness going into the season was starting pitching and catching... Mets tried to solve it by a) hoping that their starters would get better and b) getting Vargas of the scrap heap and c) going into the year with the same catchers as last year.

There's also a reason AGON, Frazier and those dudes were so cheap to sign. Their best years are well behind them... again everyone else in baseball is going with young talent aided by some vets and the Mets are buying off the 30+ scrap heap because the Wilsons are cheap.

The window for the current generation of this franchise shut in 2016 I believe...
Alderson has done a terrible job our farm system is a mess. Where are our good young position players?

Alderson has done a terrible job our farm system is a mess. Where are our good young position players?
Agreed... overall outside of Conforto and Rosario and maybe Nimmo Alderson has done a terrible job of collecting and developing position player talent. And the book is out on whether Rosario and Nimmo can hit enough to play in the bigs. I get that some of it is luck but the dearth it talent is too large to not be systemic as well. And we haven’t even talked about last years dismantling of the team where the Mets got back 25 cents on the dollar on purpose to save money.

This franchise is done until the Wilpons sell it which won’t happen in my lifetime (I’m 41) so I guess I’m going to be done with baseball.

There is no way Thor or de Grom stick aound when they hit free agency. Mets need to trade Cespedes and one of their two star pitchers and start over as a franchise.

Bye Matt Harvey. Thanks for the couple incredible seasons and couple horrible seasons. Hopefully Hollywood Harvey doesn't end up in Cleveland or KC where he can't continue is partying ways.
Sad... so much talent. He hasn’t been the same since that World Series game. We can hate on Matt but I do wonder if not shutting it down that season after tommy john wrecked his career.

Serious question how does sandy Alderson still have a job? He's had 2 good seasons and lets be honest a lot of that success was because of Omar. Other than trading for cespedes and Thor what has he done?

Serious question how does sandy Alderson still have a job? He's had 2 good seasons and lets be honest a lot of that success was because of Omar. Other than trading for cespedes and Thor what has he done?

Jason Vargas

He has a job because I firmly believe he was the price the Wilpons had to pay in order to prevent MLB from forcing them to sell during the height of their Madoff issues. MLB took the Dodgers away from the previous owners with in my opinion lesser financial issues, but the Wilpons were buddy buddy with the old commissioner so he did them a solid and said hey let Alderson run the baseball side and you can keep the team.

Now I don't think the Wilpons can find a GM better than Alderson because the whole market knows the Mets are too cheap to compete and there are so many cultural issues from soup to nuts in the organization. Mets will never be a destination for anyone other than those in the mid to lower tier range of MLB players until the Wilpons sell the team. Given all that, Alderson is actually the best GM the Wilpons can ask for... he's good at assembling a mediocre roster that is CHEAP and with good luck could get them to the wild card. What more could a fan ask for?

He has a job because I firmly believe he was the price the Wilpons had to pay in order to prevent MLB from forcing them to sell during the height of their Madoff issues. MLB took the Dodgers away from the previous owners with in my opinion lesser financial issues, but the Wilpons were buddy buddy with the old commissioner so he did them a solid and said hey let Alderson run the baseball side and you can keep the team.

Now I don't think the Wilpons can find a GM better than Alderson because the whole market knows the Mets are too cheap to compete and there are so many cultural issues from soup to nuts in the organization. Mets will never be a destination for anyone other than those in the mid to lower tier range of MLB players until the Wilpons sell the team. Given all that, Alderson is actually the best GM the Wilpons can ask for... he's good at assembling a mediocre roster that is CHEAP and with good luck could get them to the wild card. What more could a fan ask for?

He started the A's on the Moneyball road and then turned it over to Billy Beane who wrote a book claiming to have invented it and wound up being played by Brad Pitt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom