2018 Mets thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Mets thread

He started the A's on the Moneyball road and then turned it over to Billy Beane who wrote a book claiming to have invented it and wound up being played by Brad Pitt.

It's a meme so I'm not sure, but he didn't write the book. Michael Lewis did very much lionize him though.

He has a job because I firmly believe he was the price the Wilpons had to pay in order to prevent MLB from forcing them to sell during the height of their Madoff issues. MLB took the Dodgers away from the previous owners with in my opinion lesser financial issues, but the Wilpons were buddy buddy with the old commissioner so he did them a solid and said hey let Alderson run the baseball side and you can keep the team.

Now I don't think the Wilpons can find a GM better than Alderson because the whole market knows the Mets are too cheap to compete and there are so many cultural issues from soup to nuts in the organization. Mets will never be a destination for anyone other than those in the mid to lower tier range of MLB players until the Wilpons sell the team. Given all that, Alderson is actually the best GM the Wilpons can ask for... he's good at assembling a mediocre roster that is CHEAP and with good luck could get them to the wild card. What more could a fan ask for?
They have a a gm better than him in the organization. Omar.

METS SNAPSHOT ( as of 5/10/18)

A promising season seems to be going downhill for the Mets. I thought I’d take a snapshot look at the player’s performance. I decided to compare the batter’s career OPS to this year’s OPS and the pitcher’s career WHIP to their WHIP this year and note the per4cetnage difference. I then rank them from the best performance to the worst.

BATTERS (Minimum 10 games and not pitchers)
Asdrúbal Cabrera career .756 this year .906 change: +19.8%
Brandon Nimmo career .787 this year .921 change: +17.0%
Juan Lagares career .665 this year .732 change: +10.0%
Todd Frazier career .779 this year .769 change: -1.3%
Wilmer Flores career .724 this year .714 change: -1.4%
Amed Rosario career .642 this year .609 change: -5.1%
Yoenis Céspedes career .824 this year .772 change: -6.3%
Adrián González career .846 this year .762 change: -9.9%
Jay Bruce career .788 this year .697 change: -11.5%
Jose Lobaton career .615 this year .521 change: -15.2%
Tomás Nido career .417 this year .342 change: -20.0%
Michael Conforto career .823 this year .634 change: -23.0%
Jose Reyes career .764 this year .358 change: -53.1%

Comment: That’s 12 players, 9 of whom are playing before their norm although only 6 of them substantially so. Of course this includes all three periods of this season: the 11-1 start the 5-7 leveling off and the 1-8 disaster since. If I just looked at the last 9 games it would look a lot worse than this. Seeing Reyes at the bottom is sad. I remember when he broke in and people were wondering if his career would compare to Derek Jeter’s. He wasn’t Jeter but did have a very productive career for a while there. It seems to be over now. Of greater import is Conforto’s melt down, which looks similar to what happened in his second year, (OPS .745 after .841 as a rookie: he was .939 last year). It’s doubly disappointing as he’s our lead-off guy. It’s hard to get things going when your lead-off guy isn’t getting on base.

PITCHERS (at least 10 innings - I threw in Jerry Blevins who has 8.1IP as he’s still a key guy)
Paul Sewald career 1.14 this year 0.92 change: +19.3%
Jeurys Familia career 1.20 this year 1.00 change: +16.7%
Jacob deGrom career 1.115 this year 0.992 change: +11.0%
Steven Matz career 1.29 this year 1.16 change: +10.1%
Seth Lugo career 1.248 this year 1.125 change: +9.9%
Robert Gsellman career 1.42 this year 1.28 change: +9.9%
Zach Wheeler career 1.40 this year 1.44 change: -2.9%
AJ Ramos career 1.25 this year 1.31 change: -4.8%
Noah Syndergaard career 1.11 this year 1.20 change: -8.1%
Jerry Blevins career 1.23 this year 1.50 change: -22.0%
Hansel Robles career 1.27 this year 1.55 change: -22.0%
Matt Harvey career 1.19 this year 1.56 change: -22.7%
Jason Vargas career 1.32 this year 2.68 change: -103.0%

Comment: That’s 13 pitchers, 6 of which are on the plus side and by significant margins and 7 on the minus side including Syndergaard who has still been good, Blevins, Robles and Harvey, who have not and Vargas who has been a disaster. Overall, though I’d have to say that pitching has not really bee the problem. It’s been the bats. But when you aren’t scoring, anything else that is less than good matters.

They have pitched well enough to win about 6-7 more games.. they blew multiple run leads several times though. If Conforto and Cespedes dont hit they will struggle.. this is the 3rd time Conforto has gone into a terrible funk.. maybe thats who he is..

I think the pitching will be OK.. Matz/Wheeler will have decent moments, but if 3 runs allowed is going to consistently get you beat and it has already 3-5 times this year that shows how the hitting needs to pick up..

They need a catcher to hit .250. Maybe they just scrap the money, Start Nimo in center and Flores/Gonzalez at first and Bruce in Right and send Conforto down until he figures it out.

deGrom pitching a solid 5 innings. Looking like the best pitcher in baseball. Killer stuff.

degrom should be undefeated this year. will the blow another multi run lead he left with?

Thor has been solid just cant quite finish people off and eventually they all seem to get 2 runs off him

matz seems to be coming around and wheeler is all over. that 5th starter needs to be a 50/50 guy

hitting come on. do they have any hitters even 2 yrs away in the minors?

Psst...Don't tell anybody but we still have a winning record. We have all year. One good week and we could be right in the pennant race. Citi Field is not Chernobyl.

Wow swept a good Diamondback club. Need to get healthy and reel off a god streak. Let’s Go Mets

Wow swept a good Diamondback club. Need to get healthy and reel off a god streak. Let’s Go Mets

upload_2018-5-20_22-52-29.png

Lat's Go Mets!

Hoping for 2 of 3 against Miami. Vargas is on the mound tonight smh.

Vargas was fine.. hopefully turned a corner.

wheeler tonight is 50/50 game

DeGrom for the sweep shot would be nice.

I'm getting tired of looking at reyes. The guy is done cut him
Already.

He's probably washed up but the Mets wanted to see if he had something left at no cost to themselves.

Jose Bautista Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

(He played for four different teams in his first year!)
He may be the only player ever to have a 50+ home run season after never having hit more than 16 previously.

They announced during tonight's game that Mets #4 hitters in 44 games this season are hitting .185 with 1 home run. :vomit:

I'm getting tired of looking at reyes. The guy is done cut him
Already.

Plenty of hitting talent on this roster. Reyes, Gonzalez, now Bautista. But...

Plus the ever injured Cespedes and slump-prone Conforto.

He may be the only player ever to have a 50+ home run season after never having hit more than 16 previously.

Well there was this guy, who never ever might have taken steroids. (OK, looks like he hit 21 once.)

The funny thing to me about the Brady Anderson thing, and i'm not saying he didn't take steroids, probably he did, but like, why did he only take them for one year? He went from hitting 15-20 HR for 4 years to hitting 50, but then he went right back to like 18-22 for the next 4 years.

Signing Bautista will take ABs away from Nimmo, which I am not ok with. I'm souring on this team quickly. Cespedes is NEVER healthy.

can hit 230+ because that would make him the 2nd best hitter in the outfield? I love nimmo but he isnt a great hitter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom