Neal
Perkins
Pierre

??Stritz??

Freshman:

Howard
Dixon

Am i missing anyone?

This positions due for improvement. Lets hear genuine thoughts and takes on how this position will look with an improved line, improved TE blocking and the sustaining of a formidable complementary passing game.

I think Strickland’s in for a 1,000 yard 10 td campaign. I really do. The talent is there, the blocking and consistency in our offense hasn’t been.

I don’t think Moe stays at slot and Dungey will/should be running far less.

Thoughts?

returning contributors:

Dontae Strickland
Neal
Perkins
Pierre

??Stritz??

Freshman:

Howard
Dixon

Am i missing anyone?

This positions due for improvement. Lets hear genuine thoughts and takes on how this position will look with an improved line, improved TE blocking and the sustaining of a formidable complementary passing game.

I think Strickland’s in for a 1,000 yard 10 td campaign. I really do. The talent is there, the blocking and consistency in our offense hasn’t been.

Thoughts?
I *hope* your missing JJ. He seems to be intent on getting here and we seem to have kept open “cap space”.

Also, I agree Strick will be better (I think much better), and Moe will stay at RB to complement.

I think our RB crew will have the biggest upside surprise next year!

What role do you see Elmore playing? I like this kid.

returning contributors:

Dontae Strickland
Neal
Perkins
Pierre

??Stritz??

Freshman:

Howard
Dixon

Am i missing anyone?

Thoughts?
I love strick but he isnt a 1000 yd rusher. He lacks vision. Moe was best last year.

Strick is a nice player but not a natural RB. I think Moe overtakes him.

I love strick but he isnt a 1000 yd rusher. He lacks vision. Moe was best last year.
Would love to see him get more of an opportunity to run to the outside. Strick showed he had shake whenever he got passed to. He can make people miss.

As mentioned in previous posts, I don't think Moe stays at RB. He is too small for this role and is best suited to playing in the slot, where we need him desperately. I also don't see Striz at RB. A well balanced roster should only have 4 or 5 players at RB. Players have to be moved to other positions, especially after bringing in two RBs in the 2018 class.

I think Dontae got better as the season progressed, I think the staff wants someone who knows the offense well, can pick up blitzers in passing situations and can call out the blocking assignments for the OL.

He remains the starter.

Don't see Elmore getting a lot of run with Strickland and 3 young RBs on the roster, all of whom are over 200 pounds. Don't see Perkins getting many snaps either. He doesn't have the speed or athletic ability the others do.

So the backup is going to be a donnybrook between three talented young RBs.

I am a believer that the stats players put up in HS have meaning. If so, Howard is the best of the bunch. His ypc for his senior year of HS was substantially better than the others. But I think he faced the weakest competition (Pierre played class 7A and Dixon class 8A). Factoring in that, Pierre had the most impressive HS career and he has a year in the program on the others, so I have to place him as the backup.

Here is my RB depth chart:

Dontae Strickland
Mackenzy Pierre 10.25 ypc
Jarveon Howard 12.95 ypc
Akeem Dixon 6.86 ypc
'T Bone' Perkins
Chris Elmore

Would not be surprised to see any of the top 4 win the starting job. My advice to the young backs is, if you get a chance to play, be sure not to fumble. That can lead to a lost season. Right Mackenzy?

What role do you see Elmore playing? I like this kid.

I am an Elmore fan too but not a fan of him strictly at fullback. Obviously , the coaches know what type of talent he has , but would love to see him workout at D tackle.

Would love to see him get more of an opportunity to run to the outside. Strick showed he had shake whenever he got passed to. He can make people miss.
Kooo
I dont disagree with that i just feel Moe did better cause he can see slimmest of holes oen up. Will he be a great slot yeh im sure. We need him at Rb unless someone else takes job handidly.

As mentioned in previous posts, I don't think Moe stays at RB. He is too small for this role and is best suited to playing in the slot, where we need him desperately. ...

Moe came in at about 175 lbs, played at 182 lbs as a soph. Likely he will be 188 or so by August. There are lots of successful college RBs at that size. The acid test is what he can do on the field -- and he averaged 90 yds in the final 3 games against ACC defenses when he took over as the starter. Compared to the bigger Strickland, Neal seems like a RB with vision and good, quick moves. Maybe Pierre or one of the true frosh will be a better #2, but I doubt it.

Of course, a lot depends on what we have in the slot. Riley and Nykeim Johnson came in as slot receivers, after excelling in that role in high school. We have red-shirt frosh and true frosh receivers who might play the slot. Is moving Neal a better option? I guess we will see.

I think Strickland and Moe hold it down, and the position takes a big step forward.

I know that's not sexy, but that's how it's gonna be.

Moe came in at about 175 lbs, played at 182 lbs as a soph. Likely he will be 188 or so by August. There are lots of successful college RBs at that size. The acid test is what he can do on the field -- and he averaged 90 yds in the final 3 games against ACC defenses when he took over as the starter. Compared to the bigger Strickland, Neal seems like a RB with vision and good, quick moves. Maybe Pierre or one of the true frosh will be a better #2, but I doubt it.

Of course, a lot depends on what we have in the slot. Riley and Nykeim Johnson came in as slot receivers, after excelling in that role in high school. We have red-shirt frosh and true frosh receivers who might play the slot. Is moving Neal a better option? I guess we will see.
I do agree I think Moe could be a serviceable back in the ACC, but I saw him try to pick up blitzes, something that is a key requirement for the job, and he was completely overwhelmed in that role. I don't think that is going to change with 6 extra pounds. Also, he has shown no signs of being able to break tackles and use power to the ball forward.

I see SU RBs needing four key attributes: 1) the speed to break long runs, 2) the strength to pass block, 3) the power to break tackles/make yards on their own and 4) the ability to make catches and get yards after the catch as a receiver.

Moe has 1 and 4. I am hoping we can do better than that, or at least that well with the others at RB. On the other hand, I see Moe as clearly the best slot WR on the roster.

This is one of the biggest questions of the off season. As you say, a lot depends on the young slot WRs we have. I hope they are ready. They weren't last season but they have a lot of talent and a couple more perhaps even more talented WRs will be joining them in the fall.

The last 4 game of the season Moe rushed for 298 yards (74.5). I think he made a real strong case to be the #1 TB next fall. He should be up around 185lbs and hopefully they work on his pass protect. But he adds a RB dimension that Strickland will never have.

I don't believe the Slot is as dire as the RB position.

The slot will have Riley, NJohson, Lutz and maybe they move Sharod back to slot where he was recruited for.

Moe Neal last 4 games:

FSU
6 / 20

Wake
12 / 87

Louisville
19 /100

BC
13 /91

Why is it a given that Lutz would be put in the slot but Neal would not? Isn't Lutz bigger?

Why is it a given that Lutz would be put in the slot but Neal would not? Isn't Lutz bigger?
Its not a given. Lutz will likely redshirt in my opinion. You can be physically ready but this is a systemic offense. Likely will need a year.

Its not a given. Lutz will likely redshirt in my opinion. You can be physically ready but this is a systemic offense. Likely will need a year.

Lutz is physically ready to play though. Both Riley and NJohnson played as true frosh, I would think Lutz only redshirts if Neal or SJohnson are moved to the slot.

If they move Neal do they do it in the spring? and leave the spring TB position down to 3 players?

I think Strickland and Moe hold it down, and the position takes a big step forward.

I know that's not s e xy, but that's how it's gonna be.

I agree that they hold it down. I don't think it will be a big step forward, but a step forward. They'll be better. OL will be better. But not going to be anywhere near Dino wants it to be yet. 2019, add the 2018 true freshmen, and the Oklahoma transfer to the mix, and that vision starts to come to life.

Strickland is just limited. Vision, speed, probably not his natural position. Does what he can. Moe will get bigger and stronger, and will still have the bigger chunk runs of the two. Tom is saying he was overwhelmed in blocking, and I'd trust his eyes. Probably also explains why his playing time was limited in some games.

I don't know what happens with Elmore. Does he just stay a novelty? Do we use more fullback? Is he just goal line? Can he help the team more somewhere else? (like on one of the lines?). Who knows.

I think it's given because Lutz was recruited for the slot.
Ok. What is the difference in skillset between Lutz and Neal? Is the only difference that Neal already has experience at RB?

This all stems from the O-line. My expectation is that no unit will improve as much as this group will. When they played well, the running game was effective. Look at the second half vs. Clemson where Strickland went 13 for 58. He may not be a home run hitter but this showed potential as a between the tackles runner against an elite defense. With more consistent line play and another year of maturation there is no reason he can;t be a 1,000 yd, 10 TD back even in a timeshare backfield.

I am an Elmore fan too but not a fan of him strictly at fullback. Obviously , the coaches know what type of talent he has , but would love to see him workout at D tackle.

Was thinking the same. I felt Elmore ended up at FB due to need and best opportunity to get on the field rather than best fit for his skill set. Similar to Stritz as a DB I'd like to see us at least explore his potential at DT.