2018 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training Thread | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, we all love Gardy, but let's just beat the Hell out of people right from the start and go Judge, Stanton, Sanchez.
I get it, but Gardy will see 5+ pitches, and with a career OBP of .347, he’s good right where he is.

Not to mention 1st to 3rd on singles and 1st to home on doubles.

Good lord can we start this season!!!

No injuries please.

Gardy
Judge
Sir Didi
Stanton
Bird
Sanchez
Hicks
Walker
Drury

fixed?

Perfect. It’s like mocking the away team player who fouled out.

Scranton looks to be beast mode:

C Higashioka
1B Austin
2B Wade
3B Andujar
SS Torres
LF Frazier
CF Cave
RF McKinney

arms like: Adams, German, Cessa, Sheffield, Acevedo, Reeves, Carroll, Holder, Lail…

gotta road trip and see a few games
Hit Trenton too, both are nice parks.

I get it, but Gardy will see 5+ pitches, and with a career OBP of .347, he’s good right where he is.

Not to mention 1st to 3rd on singles and 1st to home on doubles.

Good lord can we start this season!!!

No injuries please.
Didn't Judge see a bunch of pitches?

I mean he struck out so much we know he almost always saw at least 3.

ZING!

Going with all vets at this point would be my guess. Bench will be Ells, Lind, Torreyes and Romine. Maybe Wade or Austin if they start the season with only 11 pitchers.

Going with all vets at this point would be my guess. Bench will be Ells, Lind, Torreyes and Romine. Maybe Wade or Austin if they start the season with only 11 pitchers.
Nah, man. Ellsbury is going to be on the DL.

60 Day.

Will free up a spot on the 40 and we can reaccess in June.
Wishful thinking I'm afraid.
Ellsbury making progress, nearing return
Jacoby Ellsbury suffered an oblique strain during batting practice on March 3rd. He has remained out of action since. The good news, however, is that the veteran centerfielder appears to be on the mend.

“[Ellsbury] is doing real well,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone told Brendan Kuty. “I think he’s doing some soft toss and tee work (Sunday). Continues to move forward. Hopefully in the next couple of days start to map out a plan for him to get back in the game action. I think that’s it.”

Prior to suffering the injury, Ellsbury hit .100/.182/.100 across four spring games. He will need time to shake off the rust, especially since oblique injuries tend to linger. Without a clear timetable, it’s tough to know if he will be ready for Opening Day. Having a healthy Ellsbury is good for the Yankees, even if he has become the most unpopular player in the Bronx.

Wishful thinking I'm afraid.
Ellsbury making progress, nearing return
Jacoby Ellsbury suffered an oblique strain during batting practice on March 3rd. He has remained out of action since. The good news, however, is that the veteran centerfielder appears to be on the mend.

“[Ellsbury] is doing real well,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone told Brendan Kuty. “I think he’s doing some soft toss and tee work (Sunday). Continues to move forward. Hopefully in the next couple of days start to map out a plan for him to get back in the game action. I think that’s it.”

Prior to suffering the injury, Ellsbury hit .100/.182/.100 across four spring games. He will need time to shake off the rust, especially since oblique injuries tend to linger. Without a clear timetable, it’s tough to know if he will be ready for Opening Day. Having a healthy Ellsbury is good for the Yankees, even if he has become the most unpopular player in the Bronx.
I don't think you're catching on to how this works.

I don't think you're catching on to how this works.
Oh I do. Call me pessimistic, but Ells will be a p-i-a for the next 3 years. I guess the Yankees may decide to eat some portion of his salary eventually by just releasing him before his contract is up like they did with ARod, but unless he agrees to a trade, he's going to lock up a roster spot and be the most expensive pinch runner/defensive replacement in the game.

Jack Curry's Spring takeaways:

1) Aaron Boone is very comfortable in his own skin and that trickles into clubhouse. There's been a relaxed vibe around Yankees. Also, Boone knows he's part of larger decision-making group. Saw members of analytics dept around batting cage a lot more this spring

2) Boone and other decision-makers are going to have an intriguing time deciding on a daily lineup. Boone said it will be "fluid" because there are so many options. I get a hunch Judge/Stanton will hit 2d and 3rd a lot.

3) Tyler Wade has developed into one of the most interesting stories in camp. Wade said he's playing "with a chip" on his shoulder and is trying to "prove people wrong." He will make the team and he will play a lot.

4) Cashman and the front office did a masterful job adding reliable players like Drury and Walker to help in the infield. Torres and Andujar could still be factors in 2018, but team recognized the value in adding a couple of guys who are ready right now.

5) Luis Severino is confident in the best way. He's not cocky or arrogant, but he's not bashful about saying he wants to be as great as any other pitcher in baseball. To me, it's a no-brainer that he should start Opening Day.

6) I expect Stanton to play left field, not Judge, who seems ticketed to remain in RF. I also think Gardner is going to end up playing more CF than he's played in recent seasons. Look for Gardner to play LF at Yankee Stadium virtually all the time.

7) I'm stealing this nugget from @dcone36, but don't sleep on Domingo German. His stuff is nasty. He could be a weapon out of the bullpen or he could be the first starter called up from AAA when there's a need.

8) I think Betances is going to rebound in a major way. Spoke to him about mental side of the game and about self-correcting on the mound and he seems primed to be a vital force in a formidable pen. With that strikeout-heavy pen, Boone can shorten games.

9) Gary Sanchez is going to have an enjoyable time lying in the weeds, behind all of the Judge/Stanton hype, and crushing the baseball as much as they do. Seemed more committed to his D this spring. He's a future MVP.

10) Sabathia and Gardner are the undisputed leaders in the clubhouse. With the way CC has reinvented himself as a pitcher and the way Gardner, a former college walk-on, has squeezed every ounce out of his talent, they are role models for any of their teammates.

Not gonna lie - saw a picture of Chance Adam. His hair is really bad.

So bad it hurt my confidence in him as a prospect. That's how bad it was.
Can’t have him messing up the team picture.

This one will be for the ages...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors