2018 Yankees Thread... | Page 106 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Yankees Thread...

Tanaka was Tom Terrific tonight. Totally. :)

Everyone will remember and talk about the three HR's but Tanaka was marvelous. And Betances did his part as well. Two runs over seven in Fenway was outstanding work. They took all the air out of the fans after the HR's quieted them.

And Gardner was back to his usual self. Four plate app's, 27 pitches, two walks, and solid in the OF with three nice running catches. How many teams can lose an Aaron Hicks and not miss a beat?

Last edited:
Boone is rewriting playoff bullpen use too.

Using your. Backup closer/8th inning guy in the 5th or 6th to bridge u to the pressure innings of the 7th & 8th is genius.

Of course having 2 more backup closers to work those innings before your closer, helps, but Betances is $$.

I agree. With Boston's 2,3,4 batting it in the 6th I love that move. Binder Joe was very rigid in what innings relievers would pitch.

I agree. With Boston's 2,3,4 batting it in the 6th I love that move. Binder Joe was very rigid in what innings relievers would pitch.

Yep, Betances in that slot helps prevent the dreaded "third time through." Especially given the change from Tanaka's 90-91 nibbling to DB's 98 heat. Might be less effective coming in behind Severino, but it's a nice option for Tuesday.

Boone is rewriting playoff bullpen use too.

Using your. Backup closer/8th inning guy in the 5th or 6th to bridge u to the pressure innings of the 7th & 8th is genius.

Of course having 2 more backup closers to work those innings before your closer, helps, but Betances is $$.

Nothing new, if you watched playoffs in the last 2 years,

Terry Francona, via Andrew Miller, did this back in 2016.

Last edited:
Terry Francona, via Andrew Miller, started this back in 2016.
Ok, I remember Miller doing wacky stuff.

Guess credit goes to Joe Girardi.

Ok, I remember Miller doing wacky stuff.

Guess credit goes to Joe Girardi.

I would still give credit to Boone for following the trend... that can only be followed by teams with good bullpens. When he is on Belances is great, and Boone didn't lock into him as the #2 last guy. In the playoffs those close games in middle innings are high leverage.

I would still give credit to Boone for following the trend... that can only be followed by teams with good bullpens. When he is on Belances is great, and Boone didn't lock into him as the #2 last guy. In the playoffs those close games in middle innings are high leverage.
This is an aberration. No team has ever had four All-Star quality closers in its bullpen at the same time. Few, if any, teams will be able to follow this blueprint.

This is an aberration. No team has ever had four All-Star quality closers in its bullpen at the same time. Few, if any, teams will be able to follow this blueprint.

As I said, Andrew Miller just did the same thing that Belances did. Cleveland really only had 3 good relievers (not 4), but the first leverage situation of the game they brought in Miller so they would get the most outs out of him... rather than only having him for 3 outs.

The top 4 of the 2015 Kansas City Royals bullpen, was probably a tad better bullpen (in that particular season) then the 2018 Yankees. Just lacked the reputational value,

Good news for the Yankees is:
- The Royals won the World Series based on that pen.
- The Yanks have a much better lineup, which more than makes up for this slight difference if any in the pen.
- 3 of the last 4 teams in the AL to make the World Series were led by their bullpen (2014+2015 KC, 2016 Cleveland). So the Yanks are definetely following the trends. The Astros pen was a mess and found a way to make it work.. the Red Sox would have to be the same. That is why I have the Yanks favoured in this series.

Last edited:
Edit to the above -- the 2014 Royals were possibly better not 2015. It was the 2014 Royals that may have had the best big 3 bullpen of all time -- 2015 was 4 deep in the regular season, but the closer got hurt late in the season and was not as effective.

The 2014 Royals big 3 had regular season ERA's of 1.00, 1.41, and 1.44. But they did not have a 4th man like the Yankees -- instead they just asked a great rotation to give them 5 or 6.

In the playoffs those 3 pitched 40 innings with an ERA around 1.10.

I guess in the end my point is that great bullpens have paid off in recent playoff years (at least 3 elite deep). A good closer is not enough anymore. Add in the extra days off in the playoffs, and it serves the Yankees very well.

As I said, Andrew Miller just did the same thing that Belances did. Cleveland really only had 3 good relievers (not 4), but the first leverage situation of the game they brought in Miller so they would get the most outs out of him... rather than only having him for 3 outs.

The top 4 of the 2015 Kansas City Royals bullpen, was probably a tad better bullpen (in that particular season) then the 2018 Yankees. Just lacked the reputational value,

Good news for the Yankees is:
- The Royals won the World Series based on that pen.
- The Yanks have a much better lineup, which more than makes up for this slight difference if any in the pen.
- 3 of the last 4 teams in the AL to make the World Series were led by their bullpen (2014+2015 KC, 2016 Cleveland). So the Yanks are definetely following the trends. The Astros pen was a mess and found a way to make it work.. the Red Sox would have to be the same. That is why I have the Yanks favoured in this series.
I'm not talking about which bullpen is better statistically, just suggesting that the Yankees this season have four guys who have closed at an elite level at some point in their careers. None of the four have had their best year this season, but Betances and Chapman have been dominant for stretches, and all four are not far removed from their best seasons. I was just suggesting that Boone has an unusual array of talent available to him to navigate the back end of games right now.

So I just got the kids to bed (mountain time zone) and checked the score - what the heck happened?

Angel is trending on twitter. Good for him.

So I just got the kids to bed (mountain time zone) and checked the score - what the heck happened?

Everyone hit the ball hard. Everyone.

Severino needs a therapist.

Lance Lynn brought in with the bases loaded. Starters always do so well in those situations.

It's like being bitten to death by ducks.

Angel Hernandez has always been a freaking bonehead. I'm enjoying watching him embarrass himself like this.
He is amazingly horrible. I'm getting these calls right in real time from my recliner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom