2019 IL Preseason All-Americans | Syracusefan.com

2019 IL Preseason All-Americans

Second Team -
D- Nick Mellen, RJr., Syracuse

Honorable Mention -
M- Jamie Trimboli, Jr., Syracuse
LSM- Brett Kennedy, RSo., Syracuse

I think there's more juice in the tank than that. Let's see how Dordevic and Rehfuss unfold. Also think Kennedy and Trimboli deserve more than honorable mention.

I think there's more juice in the tank than that. Let's see how Dordevic and Rehfuss unfold. Also think Kennedy and Trimboli deserve more than honorable mention.
I agree in that I think Syracuse could get more post season AA recognition. I also think that while it feels like Trimboli should be higher than HM AA, it's a lot harder these days to be an all american. These teams are stacked with great players from lots of different schools. Look at the attackmen, Kraus and Walker are really amazing players on they're on the 2nd team. Bernhardt might be just as good.

Also, if Syracuse is going to make a longer post season run, they'll need more than these 3 guys earning AA honors. Rehfuss and/or Solomon would be the next in line I think. Dordevic you mentioned. SU has a veteran defense and I could see Bomberry sliding into one of these spots if he's healthy and the D pays well.

I agree in that I think Syracuse could get more post season AA recognition. I also think that while it feels like Trimboli should be higher than HM AA, it's a lot harder these days to be an all american. These teams are stacked with great players from lots of different schools. Look at the attackmen, Kraus and Walker are really amazing players on they're on the 2nd team. Bernhardt might be just as good.

Also, if Syracuse is going to make a longer post season run, they'll need more than these 3 guys earning AA honors. Rehfuss and/or Solomon would be the next in line I think. Dordevic you mentioned. SU has a veteran defense and I could see Bomberry sliding into one of these spots if he's healthy and the D pays well.

The program’s talent level has taken a hit. The record in recent years speaks to that.

I also think Kennedy will shock this season if healthy. He was an animal on the field last year - one of the best and often dominating, regardless of who we were playing.

I got a look at him this Fall at the Penn scrimmages and he was even stronger = coming out the scrum almost every time with the ball. This kid is AA quality without a doubt and he will prove it this year

I also think Kennedy will shock this season if healthy. He was an animal on the field last year - one of the best and often dominating, regardless of who we were playing.

I got a look at him this Fall at the Penn scrimmages and he was even stronger = coming out the scrum almost every time with the ball. This kid is AA quality without a doubt and he will prove it this year

From a pole standpoint this could be one of SU's best group of players in a long time. The group really has it all and now adds a guy like Staats and gets Fernandez's back. If the SSDM can hold up this could be a very good defense.

From a pole standpoint this could be one of SU's best group of players in a long time. The group really has it all and now adds a guy like Staats and gets Fernandez's back. If the SSDM can hold up this could be a very good defense.
I stood next to one of the Kim brothers the other day. Not sure they will be ready this year to contribute, but he was huge. If he is slated to be a SSDM alongside Dami, Murph, Dearth, we have made major strides in getting size into that position.

I stood next to one of the Kim brothers the other day. Not sure they will be ready this year to contribute, but he was huge. If he is slated to be a SSDM alongside Dami, Murph, Dearth, we have made major strides in getting size into that position.

SUis listing both as middies vs ssdm but I expect at least one of them to be moved. U think both are likely to RS though unless they shine when camp opens.

Size helps at ssdm but very large players have more difficulty opening their hips to stick with their assignment so see both more likely being fully developed as om's.

Dearth is large, fast and aggressive as lead ssdm. Look for Dami to be more settled in role and improved. Helmer offers good D if he remains there and Murphy can contribute on that end.

Hutchings not returning is a loss as he brought experience and decent two way play with good size and speed. Two players with similar physical attributes are Small and Barlow and they could possibly be developed as dm's. Partamian likewise could fill the role that TJ Ford played.

The new shot clock may impact dm usage some and will put a premium on two way capabilities . Switches on/off will certainly have to executed quicker

Forgot to mention that Shasnick returns to ssdm and brings an element of physically that can be helpful with certain matchups and wing play , he also offers some offensive potential as seen in alumni game..

He was so good vs. UVa last year. Really hope Fernandez comes back after injury

Fernandez was awesome against Army as well. Are long poles were incredible last year and the amount of depth was insane. Literally everyone is coming back too! Unfortunately are short sticks were so mediocre that it barely even mattered. Our defense numbers were pretty pathetic in the end. You are only as good as your weakest link. Our only hope to be a legitimate contender this year is that actually being able to practice in the fall gives the young short sticks a chance to improve their IQ for the position. We had three guys who were essentially learning the position on the fly last year. Dami, Murphy, Dearth all came in with little to no experience at short stick D, and Hutchings and Helmer, the two guys who actually knew the position, both struggled with injuries.

There is a chance we see massive improvement in that position this year, despite losing Hutchings, and actually become an elite defense. A healthy Helmer plus one of those athletic but less experienced guys stepping up could fill out an excellent starting lineup. Shwasnick is also a great experienced athlete, but we use him mainly on the wing. I think putting a long pole in either Murphy or Helmers hands would be a huge mistake. We have four great lsm options with Kennedy Fernandez Fusco and Staats. That is plenty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom