2019 NHL playoffs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2019 NHL playoffs

Given that it was a sweep, is that the most surprising result in NHL history? Pro sports history?

Tampa tied the record for regular season wins. And poof, just like that, they’re gone.

I was contemplating if it was the worst choke in sports history as well. The Yanks blowing a 3-0 lead is one thing but to get swept in the 1st round after tying the best season in your sports history is insane.

Can't remember where I read it (within the past few weeks) but somebody wrote a great article describing the difference between regular season NHL and playoff hockey. They're two different sports due to the increase in physical play during the playoffs.

The author surmises the Lightning dominate the regular season because they have elite skills and play with average physicality. This is a fantastic formula because no team sustains the level of physical play seen in the playoffs throughout an entire regular season.

The successful playoff teams are able to ratchet up their physicality in the playoffs to levels rarely seen in the regular season.

It wasn't some ground-breaking theory but it had some great quotes from Stanley Cup winning coaches and players that gave insight into why teams like the Bruins have been dangerous in the playoffs for years.

And my Sabres play softer than wet Charmin and continue their drought. :mad:

Last edited:
Can't remember where I read it (within the past few weeks) but somebody wrote a great article describing the difference between regular season NHL and playoff hockey. They're two different sports due to the increase in physical play during the playoffs.

The author used surmises the Lightning dominate the regular season because they have elite skills and play with average physicality. This is a fantastic formula because no team sustains the level of physical play seen in the playoffs throughout an entire regular season.

The successful playoff teams are able to ratchet up their physicality in the playoffs to levels rarely seen in the regular season.

It wasn't some ground-breaking theory but it had some great quotes from Stanley Cup winning coaches in players that gave insight into why teams like the Bruins have been dangerous in the playoffs for years.

And my Sabres play softer than wet Charmin and continue their drought. :mad:

To a lesser extent, did this year's Lightning squad remind you of the '06-'07 Sabres? Granted, they went to the ECF, but both teams won the President's Trophy, and had similar shortcomings (high on skill and low on grit/physicality)

To a lesser extent, did this year's Lightning squad remind you of the '06-'07 Sabres? Granted, they went to the ECF, but both teams won the President's Trophy, and had similar shortcomings (high on skill and low on grit/physicality)

I think that Sabres team had more grit than this year's Lightning. Had the Bolts gone back to the ECFs this year then they'd be identical (albeit with more skill and less toughness) to the 06-07 Sabres.

TB getting swept in the first round makes them softer IMO. Buffalo still had a few tough guys like Mair, Peters, and (to a lesser extent) Gaustad; I don't see many of those types on TB (Kucherov? ok. Hedman? maybe.)

Those Buffalo teams were an awesome mix of skill, grit and exceptional goal-tending.

Who is the Habs more hated rival Bruins or Leafs?
For Boston it’s Canadians.
I live in Toronto so for me it’s the leafs. But in general it’s about tied. Maybe slight tip towards Boston.

Bruins split Pasternak up from the top line and it worked.
Babcock got outcoached and we got a best of 3 series now.
I think this Leafs-Bruins series will go 7.

Mathews' goal in Game 5 should not have counted.
It’s been 74 days since Boston won a championship.
We can share in the other sports.
Leafs haven’t won anything in a long time.

It was goalie interference but whatever Toronto was the better team. Tavares line shutdown Bergeron line.
What they did in Game 4 they didn’t do in game 5 they should put Pasternak with Krejici and move Heinin to Bergeron and Marchand.

Love the way the Leaf D has been playing. Where has that been all year? Btw, Zaitsev played 23 minutes, Gardiner around 6. Hmmm

Apparently his back is acting up

Given that it was a sweep, is that the most surprising result in NHL history? Pro sports history?

Tampa tied the record for regular season wins. And poof, just like that, they’re gone.

Because the rules change in the playoffs. Just an observation, not an endorsement. The NHL is run by cretins.

Because the rules change in the playoffs. Just an observation, not an endorsement. The NHL is run by cretins.
Tampa choked. It wasn’t the format.

How? Tampa would have played Columbus with the old rules.
Boston-Toronto were ones screwed by these rules.
Boston would have been the 3rd seed and Toronto the 4 seed.
If the NHL wasn’t stupid it would go back to the old playoff format.

Boston-Toronto were ones screwed by these rules.
Boston would have been the 3rd seed and Toronto the 4 seed.
If the NHL wasn’t stupid it would go back to the old playoff format.
Yeah agree, I edited above just for that reason. Don’t like the new format but in the end it is what is and the first place teams should never get swept idc who you play etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom