2020-2021 SU basketball roster. Make your predictions | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2020-2021 SU basketball roster. Make your predictions

I know some people on here love him, and he is clearly a great kid who has battled a lot of adversity, but Washington is just not a high level D1 player.
Didn’t say he was. However, he is our best ball handler/playmaker of the point guards we have. Doesn’t score tho.

I don’t think he’s the best ball handler or the best playmaker, but for some reason people keep repeating this like if they say it enough it’ll be true.
My statement applies to the point guards.
I believe that Doleaz and Hughes are the best two ball handlers on the team.
Girard plays all out and at that speed he more than sometimes makes passes to phantom teammates.
It comes down to wanting a third or fourth scoring option or having a more deliberate, steadier point guard. The way the team is structured, having the third scoring option seems more important.

Just my opinion. There is no right or wrong answer. Thanks for the discussion on this topic.

If Carey was going to transfer, why didn't he do it midway through the season?

Because he applied for a medical redshirt. If he transferred midway through the season, then he'd have to sit out until January 2021, and "lose" a half-semester of playing eligibility.

By remaining at SU, he gets the medical redshirt, then can transfer and not burn any of his second year of eligibility.

Because he applied for a medical redshirt. If he transferred midway through the season, then he'd have to sit out until January 2021, and "lose" a half-semester of playing eligibility.

By remaining at SU, he gets the medical redshirt, then can transfer and not burn any of his second year of eligibility.

But barring a waiver he would have to sit out all of 2020 - 21 and there is no precedent for getting a sixth year of eligibility for a meidcal redshirt that predates a transfer. Had he left in January he would be eligible second semester of 20-21 and would have 2 1/2 years of eligibility remaining. By staying through the end of this academic year, if he transfers, he won't be eligible until fall of the 2021-22 season and would have 2 years of eligibility remaining. Not to mention being away from competitive basketball for almost two full years.

Im guessing..

Girard/Richmond/HW

Buddy/Carey/Goodine

Marek/Buddy/Braswell

Guerrier/Marek/JBA

Sidibe/Marek/Edwards/JBA

Buddy splits between the two and three equally. Carey has a chance to provide energy off the bench and away from the ball.

Girard becomes the iron man. I don’t see Richmond getting significant ACC pt, and I’m not sure Goodine or HW will earn further time.

Im guessing..

Girard/Richmond/HW

Buddy/Carey/Goodine

Marek/Buddy/Braswell

Guerrier/Marek/JBA

Sidibe/Marek/Edwards/JBA

Buddy splits between the two and three equally. Carey has a chance to provide energy off the bench and away from the ball.

Girard becomes the iron man. I don’t see Richmond getting significant ACC pt, and I’m not sure Goodine or HW will earn further time.
I don't see Dolezaj splitting his time among 3 different positions. And Newton is missing.

Definitely Staying:
1) Girard
2) Boeheim
3) Guerrier
4) Sidibe - Where else is he going to go?
5) Bol Ajak - Wouldn't leave after redshirt.

Probably Staying:
6) Edwards - Never 100% for foreigners but he's seen more minutes lately.
7) Goodine - Developmental player who will be given a chance to earn more minutes next year.
8) Dolezaj - I think he is more definite than not, but again - with foreigners it is never 100%.

Question Marks:
9) Washington - Not sure if he's close to graduating? If so, he could grad transfer and have two years. As is, if he stays for senior year, he'd be eligible to grad transfer with one year after next.
10) Braswell - Hasn't played in two years, but this year may have played more had he not gotten hurt. Could see him giving it one more year but if he did it now he could have two, possibly three more years of eligibility. If he waits, possibly just one.
11) Carey - Similar to Braswell, except I totally expect him to leave. The writing is on the wall in the backcourt for him at this point.
12) Hughes - Most likely gone, based on all evidence.

Signed for Next Year

1) Richmond
2) Newton

Considering you get 13 scholarships to fill a roster, we could have as many as 3 scholarships remaining to give this offseason.

Definitely Staying:
1) Girard
2) Boeheim
3) Guerrier
4) Sidibe - Where else is he going to go?
5) Bol Ajak - Wouldn't leave after redshirt.

Probably Staying:
6) Edwards - Never 100% for foreigners but he's seen more minutes lately.
7) Goodine - Developmental player who will be given a chance to earn more minutes next year.
8) Dolezaj - I think he is more definite than not, but again - with foreigners it is never 100%.

Question Marks:
9) Washington - Not sure if he's close to graduating? If so, he could grad transfer and have two years. As is, if he stays for senior year, he'd be eligible to grad transfer with one year after next.
10) Braswell - Hasn't played in two years, but this year may have played more had he not gotten hurt. Could see him giving it one more year but if he did it now he could have two, possibly three more years of eligibility. If he waits, possibly just one.
11) Carey - Similar to Braswell, except I totally expect him to leave. The writing is on the wall in the backcourt for him at this point.
12) Hughes - Most likely gone, based on all evidence.

Signed for Next Year
1) Richmond
2) Newton

Considering you get 13 scholarships to fill a roster, we could have as many as 3 scholarships remaining to give this offseason.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Also RF as usual had the pulse of the situation better than myself and most.

Goodine was a bit of a surprise but at the end of the day, with the way the season unfolded, not as surprising. Will be interested to see how things unfold with Braswell.

If he ends up deciding to leave, we will have a total 9 scholarship players committed for next year:

G - Joe Girard III
G - Buddy Boeheim
G/F - Kadary Richmond

F - Dolezaj
F - Guerrier
F - Newton

C - Sidibe
C - Bol Ajak
C - Edwards

Too many centers, not enough of the other two positions. And not enough talent at any of them.

EDIT: Just saw Braswell is gone, apparently. No surprise again.

This, from JB's show prior to the Miami game, per SWC's reporting:

I called in my question about using our whole roster the way Leonard Hamilton does at Florida State. JB: “They are completely different programs. They play 9-10 but 2-3 guys play a lot. They have a simple fundamental system. I watched Villanova play and they had two guys play two minutes and one guy who played six minutes. Their starters average 38 minutes. That’s normal. Kansas does it the same way. In a perfect world you’ve got a good back-up center, a forward and a guard. 7-8-9 guys is ideal. Jesse wasn’t quite ready. Jalen would have helped us. ..I expect 2-3 guys to leave. Elijah is probably leaning toward it. Somebody who isn’t playing a lot might transfer. The new transfer rule may be in effect by then. We are still looking at high school players and grad transfers. We have to protect the program. There will be lots of movement and we’ll have to be flexible. We’ll be recruiting al spring and summer. This is the transfer era. 800 guys will be transferring.”

I called in my question about using our whole roster the way Leonard Hamilton does at Florida State. JB: “They are completely different programs. They play 9-10 but 2-3 guys play a lot. They have a simple fundamental system. I watched Villanova play and they had two guys play two minutes and one guy who played six minutes. Their starters average 38 minutes. That’s normal. Kansas does it the same way. In a perfect world you’ve got a good back-up center, a forward and a guard. 7-8-9 guys is ideal. Jesse wasn’t quite ready. Jalen would have helped us. ..I expect 2-3 guys to leave. Elijah is probably leaning toward it. Somebody who isn’t playing a lot might transfer. The new transfer rule may be in effect by then. We are still looking at high school players and grad transfers. We have to protect the program. There will be lots of movement and we’ll have to be flexible. We’ll be recruiting al spring and summer. This is the transfer era. 800 guys will be transferring.”

I don’t disagree. But the reason those teams are successful is because their top guys are that much better than their bottom guys.

Goodine isn’t that much worse than Boeheim. As many others have said, JB has prioritized defense over offense many times in the past. Yet this year, conveniently he doesn’t.

If we had the right 10 scholarship players on the team, nobody would care. The problem is we do not.

Three of the 9 returning scholarship guys have yet to play a minute in college and were not highly sought after. A fourth was the backup center who rarely played. Leaving 5 guys who play a lot of minutes for a 17-14 team that didn’t have a prayer of the NCAA Tournament, save a miracle run in N.C. Two of them are severely limited defensively, either by aptitude or genetics. Or both.

Not exactly an inspiring state of affairs for the SU basketball program.

I think JB's outlook is pretty accurate. If a kid comes in, isn't quite ready, spends a lot of time on the bench and may have to fight for P/T the next season -- there's a pretty good chance he's gone these days.

Makes it really tough to build a sustainable roster. You can argue, and I'd say accurately to a degree, that getting more guys involved consistently would help. I would also suggest that I wonder -- I have zero inside knowledge, but I wonder -- if JB and/or the staff does good enough job communicating with the guys not playing huge roles so they at least know they are in the plans for next season and what they need to improve on. As much movement as there is throughout college basketball, it's hard not to feel like we get hit with more than our fair share of it. I mean, we have five guards on the roster and one coming in as a frosh and somehow we lose three of those five? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Regardless, sucks to lose Goodine in particular (and I really think Washington or Carey could theoretically have helped this team). I guess Kadary is the next man up by default. Wish that wasn't the case.

I would like to know more about how it's normal that we've been 300 or more in bench minutes played for 8 straight seasons (assuming that's true, but honestly, it sounds pretty believable).

I don’t disagree. But the reason those teams are successful is because their top guys are that much better than their bottom guys.

Goodine isn’t that much worse than Boeheim. As many others have said, JB has prioritized defense over offense many times in the past. Yet this year, conveniently he doesn’t.

If we had the right 10 scholarship players on the team, nobody would care. The problem is we do not.

Three of the 9 returning scholarship guys have yet to play a minute in college and were not highly sought after. A fourth was the backup center who rarely played. Leaving 5 guys who play a lot of minutes for a 17-14 team that didn’t have a prayer of the NCAA Tournament, save a miracle run in N.C. Two of them are severely limited defensively, either by aptitude or genetics. Or both.

Not exactly an inspiring state of affairs for the SU basketball program.
This is what I think was most important about his statement:

!.) The staff was expecting multiple transfers--whether or not they expected this many is anyone's guess.

2.) As a result of #1, they are still recruiting high school and transfer players.

Now, all recruiting has been suspended, and that certainly hurts. But no one else is able to recruit, either.

If we weren't a tournament team this year with Hughes, we're definitely not a tournament team next year, as currently constituted. The only exception is if one or 2 guys (Guerrier, Dolezaj) take a huge leap. Frankly, I'm not sure we're an NIT team next year, either. Would be thrilled to be wrong.

If we weren't a tournament team this year with Hughes, we're definitely not a tournament team next year, as currently constituted. The only exception is if one or 2 guys (Guerrier, Dolezaj) take a huge leap. Frankly, I'm not sure we're an NIT team next year, either. Would be thrilled to be wrong.
What is annoying is these people spinning will say well JB hasn’t had a losing season before why are people complaining.

It’s so obvious.

My only question was why did goodine go from the third guard off the bench and trending in the right direction to the 4th guard off the bench in favor of howash. It was very apparent that goodine has the higher ceiling and if he remained the third guard we might have had goodine next year? Maybe something went on behind the scenes but it just seems weird and short sighted

My only question was why did goodine go from the third guard off the bench and trending in the right direction to the 4th guard off the bench in favor of howash. It was very apparent that goodine has the higher ceiling and if he remained the third guard we might have had goodine next year? Maybe something went on behind the scenes but it just seems weird and short sighted
Neither of them ever firmly established himself as the third guard. That role seemed to vary from game to game, depending on the opponent and game situation.

Last edited:
Agree with you but if I were the coach I would have given it to the guy with more potential and not the guy who likely had no real future here if the difference was negligible.

Agree with you but if I were the coach I would have given it to the guy with more potential and not the guy who likely had no real future here if the difference was negligible.
I think Goodine never proved he was capable of playing PG. He might develop those skills later in his career, but he lacked them this season.

Goodine was higher ceiling. Washington was low risk; low reward. Depended on the situation since neither seized the role.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom