2020-21 ny mets thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2020-21 ny mets thread

This rat vs. raccoon explanation for the Lindor/McNeil interaction is embarrassing.

very amusing though

Only the Mets. Smh. I guess I'm team racoon.

What happens in the tunnel, stays in the tunnel...

1620491841163.png

What might have been...

:rolleyes::oops:

What might have been...

:rolleyes::oops:

At least DeGrom did something. The 90's generation K were all flops.

The Yankees and Mets lead their respective leagues in FIP and xFIP.

If you are a dinosaur who likes ERA ;), the Yankees are 1st in the AL. The Mets are 2nd in the NL.

Both are also middle of the pack in almost any offensive measure.

The Yankees and Mets lead their respective leagues in FIP and xFIP.

If you are a dinosaur who likes ERA ;), the Yankees are 1st in the AL. The Mets are 2nd in the NL.

Both are also middle of the pack in almost any offensive measure.

I think both results are pretty surprising for both teams. I figured the Mets would have a very good offense (still do, really) but the pitching would be an issue

It sounds like JD Davis is about to play a few rehab games in Syracuse, maybe starting tomorrow. I think Nimmo, who has already played one game for Syracuse, will be back playing a couple more shortly as well.

Seth Lugo is also expected to start a rehab stint in a few days. I assume that will also be in Syracuse.

I expect Thor will get a couple starts for Syracuse as well late this month, with Carassco coming to town early next month.

If you are a Met fan, it looks like there are going to be ample opportunities to see a number of Mets in the next few weeks. And that is good because there aren’t many legitimate prospects on this Syracuse team. We are feeling the effects of Brody trading away so many good prospects for crappy players at the AAA and AA levels. Sigh.

i really hope the difference between glory and a boring season isn’t Realmuto vs McCann... I know it’s earlyish but man McCann is really really bad at hitting a baseball. He had a couple of decent seasons with the Scx which got him his contract with the Mets but he was pretty blah with the Tigers before that.

It sounds like JD Davis is about to play a few rehab games in Syracuse, maybe starting tomorrow. I think Nimmo, who has already played one game for Syracuse, will be back playing a couple more shortly as well.

Seth Lugo is also expected to start a rehab stint in a few days. I assume that will also be in Syracuse.

I expect Thor will get a couple starts for Syracuse as well late this month, with Carassco coming to town early next month.

If you are a Met fan, it looks like there are going to be ample opportunities to see a number of Mets in the next few weeks. And that is good because there aren’t many legitimate prospects on this Syracuse team. We are feeling the effects of Brody trading away so many good prospects for crappy players at the AAA and AA levels. Sigh.

But it was Brody who started the practice of using Syracuse as a bullpen for position players with major league experience, which made the 2019 season so interesting. I hope they continue that, along with the rehab stints.

i really hope the difference between glory and a boring season isn’t Realmuto vs McCann... I know it’s earlyish but man McCann is really really bad at hitting a baseball. He had a couple of decent seasons with the Scx which got him his contract with the Mets but he was pretty blah with the Tigers before that.

I like McCann behind the plate. He's a good hitter for a catcher, despite the bad start, (not the only one on this team). He's not a really good hitter but he can contribute.
James McCann Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

I like McCann behind the plate. He's a good hitter for a catcher, despite the bad start, (not the only one on this team). He's not a really good hitter but he can contribute.
James McCann Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
I’m thinking this team has a bunch of water carriers who can’t hit when the pressure is on. Outside of Lindor there is not a proven hitter on the team... a lot of potential but the potential has to come through when the t counts and so far I’m not seeing it.

I’m thinking this team has a bunch of water carriers who can’t hit when the pressure is on. Outside of Lindor there is not a proven hitter on the team... a lot of potential but the potential has to come through when the t counts and so far I’m not seeing it.

Alonso and Conforto are not proven hitters?

General thoughts on the season so far...

The team has done a nice job getting over .500 under some adverse circumstances.

The starting pitching has been great.

DeGrom just keeps throwing harder and getting better, which runs against the history of just about every other pitcher out there. Are the problems he is having a long term problem or is he really going to be able to take his turn every 5 days when he comes back (in hopefully 10 days or so)?

Stroman has been very very good and very consistent. He is positioning himself to make a lot of money next season. Will it be with the Mets? Will the Mets even open up negotiations with him during the season?

Walker has been a revelation as well. I think he kind of fell into the Mets laps when their bids to get other guys failed. We are very fortunate to have him. Is this just a flash in the pan where he is being successful facing a bunch of hitters who mostly haven’t seen him? Based on the stuff I have seen, I don’t think so.

Peterson has been less consistent but he is showing a lot of promise when he is right. He has a high ceiling and I think he gives the Mets a good chance to win most of his starts.

Lucchesi has not been impressive most of the time and will surely be impacted when pitchers on the injured list start coming back.

Syndergaard and Carrasco are supposed to be coming back soon. Lugo too. With DeGrom maybe needing more downtime to get to 100% and Carrasco’s return delayed a couple of times, I think Noah will be the first starter to join the rotation from the injured list. That will hopefully be the end of the opener starts and the JL starts.

It will be interesting to see what happens when/if Jake, Noah and Carlos are all healthy. It is nice to have some starting pitching depth. Peterson might join the bullpen as another lefty at some point.

If he does and Lugo comes back and is his normal self, the bullpen, which as already been a revelation, could get even better. Gotta think some of the guys might regress to the mean but when you see these guys throw, there is reason to think most are going to continue to have good years. Castro and Diaz throw close to 100 mph every time out. Familia is not far behind. May appears to be a solid addition. Loup isn’t great but has done quite well and there is reason to think he can remain effective. Even Gsellman has looked really impressive (he has quality stuff). Lugo and maybe Peterson will hopefully take the team to the next level.

I saw on the broadcast today that the Mets defense is what, 4th in all of MLB in defensive runs saved so far this year. They have been making a lot of errors for sure but are also making a lot of really nice plays. Far more than I can remember any Met team make in a long time.

The Met defense has been subpar for many years. I would go over the starters year after year and struggle to name more than 1 or 2 that I considered an above average fielder. This year, I would say McCann, McNeil, Lindor, Pillar and Conforto all qualify. Yes, I am considering Pillar a starter, really more of a co-starter, given all the playing time he has gotten to date. I suspect his play has been good enough that he is going to continue to get regular playing time the rest of the season.

I think McCann has been really good throwing from the catcher position. I think he is calling games well and is making the pitchers better. Agree his hitting has been a major disappointment but hopefully he will get better as the season progresses. He has never played in more than 118 games before. That might be part of the problem. Guessing the adjustment to a new league might also be a factor.

I have been shocked at how weak Lindor’s arm has been so far. If anything, it appears to be getting worse as the season progresses. Guessing he has some kind of an injury that is causing this. No way he won some golden gloves throwing like he is now. He has shown a lot of range.

McNeil has been solid at second. Alonso appears to slowly be getting better at first. Davis remains a concern at third. Villar has looked good there and Guillomore looks like he is a good fielder everywhere.

It will be interesting to see the roles Pillar and Villar get as Davis and Nimmo get healthy. It is great that it looks like we are going to have problems like these (too many position players, too many starters, too many relievers) the rest of the season. In some ways, baseball is a game of attrition. The vast improvement in depth gives the Mets a nice advantage over time over a lot of other teams.

Alonso and Conforto are not proven hitters?
Conforto has one great season where the team didn’t make the playoffs. Alonso had one great season, where the team didn’t make the playoffs. They are big league, slightly above average hitters with the potential to be a more.

General thoughts on the season so far...

The team has done a nice job getting over .500 under some adverse circumstances.

The starting pitching has been great.

DeGrom just keeps throwing harder and getting better, which runs against the history of just about every other pitcher out there. Are the problems he is having a long term problem or is he really going to be able to take his turn every 5 days when he comes back (in hopefully 10 days or so)?

Stroman has been very very good and very consistent. He is positioning himself to make a lot of money next season. Will it be with the Mets? Will the Mets even open up negotiations with him during the season?

Walker has been a revelation as well. I think he kind of fell into the Mets laps when their bids to get other guys failed. We are very fortunate to have him. Is this just a flash in the pan where he is being successful facing a bunch of hitters who mostly haven’t seen him? Based on the stuff I have seen, I don’t think so.

Peterson has been less consistent but he is showing a lot of promise when he is right. He has a high ceiling and I think he gives the Mets a good chance to win most of his starts.

Lucchesi has not been impressive most of the time and will surely be impacted when pitchers on the injured list start coming back.

Syndergaard and Carrasco are supposed to be coming back soon. Lugo too. With DeGrom maybe needing more downtime to get to 100% and Carrasco’s return delayed a couple of times, I think Noah will be the first starter to join the rotation from the injured list. That will hopefully be the end of the opener starts and the JL starts.

It will be interesting to see what happens when/if Jake, Noah and Carlos are all healthy. It is nice to have some starting pitching depth. Peterson might join the bullpen as another lefty at some point.

If he does and Lugo comes back and is his normal self, the bullpen, which as already been a revelation, could get even better. Gotta think some of the guys might regress to the mean but when you see these guys throw, there is reason to think most are going to continue to have good years. Castro and Diaz throw close to 100 mph every time out. Familia is not far behind. May appears to be a solid addition. Loup isn’t great but has done quite well and there is reason to think he can remain effective. Even Gsellman has looked really impressive (he has quality stuff). Lugo and maybe Peterson will hopefully take the team to the next level.

I saw on the broadcast today that the Mets defense is what, 4th in all of MLB in defensive runs saved so far this year. They have been making a lot of errors for sure but are also making a lot of really nice plays. Far more than I can remember any Met team make in a long time.

The Met defense has been subpar for many years. I would go over the starters year after year and struggle to name more than 1 or 2 that I considered an above average fielder. This year, I would say McCann, McNeil, Lindor, Pillar and Conforto all qualify. Yes, I am considering Pillar a starter, really more of a co-starter, given all the playing time he has gotten to date. I suspect his play has been good enough that he is going to continue to get regular playing time the rest of the season.

I think McCann has been really good throwing from the catcher position. I think he is calling games well and is making the pitchers better. Agree his hitting has been a major disappointment but hopefully he will get better as the season progresses. He has never played in more than 118 games before. That might be part of the problem. Guessing the adjustment to a new league might also be a factor.

I have been shocked at how weak Lindor’s arm has been so far. If anything, it appears to be getting worse as the season progresses. Guessing he has some kind of an injury that is causing this. No way he won some golden gloves throwing like he is now. He has shown a lot of range.

McNeil has been solid at second. Alonso appears to slowly be getting better at first. Davis remains a concern at third. Villar has looked good there and Guillomore looks like he is a good fielder everywhere.

It will be interesting to see the roles Pillar and Villar get as Davis and Nimmo get healthy. It is great that it looks like we are going to have problems like these (too many position players, too many starters, too many relievers) the rest of the season. In some ways, baseball is a game of attrition. The vast improvement in depth gives the Mets a nice advantage over time over a lot of other teams.
Great post. my biggest concern is the lack of hitting. A max of 4 runs per game is not going to cut it. The lack of offense places to much pressure on the pitching.

Conforto has one great season where the team didn’t make the playoffs. Alonso had one great season, where the team didn’t make the playoffs. They are big league, slightly above average hitters with the potential to be a more.

53 homers is not slightly above average. Neither is 33 with .332 last year. And what does the team making the playoffs have to do with how good a hitter you are?

After three innings yesterday the Mets had won 7 of 8 games and were leading 4-1. Since then: Mets 2, Rays 18 and two more guys have gotten hurt, (in the first inning!). :(:confused:

Last edited:
Mets are gonna be out of bodies soon.. 3 more starters and a pitcher in last 2 days..