2020-21 ny mets thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2020-21 ny mets thread

Mets WS title odds have dropped from 25-1 to 12-1

Confused by what the Mets are doing again.

They have around $30 million to spend before the salary cap. But they let the Yankees outbid them for Justin Wilson. And go for Mike Montgomery and Tommy Hunter.

They are now allegedly getting involved with Trevor Rosenthal. They seem to be very reactive. Don't see a plan being executed since Porter got canned.

They signed Almora and Pillar, which presumably means that they are not signing Jackie Bradley Jr. Though the tabloids say they might if the DH is brought back for the NL at the last minute.

Why hold back on spending any real money?

The only thing that makes sense is that they are planning on trading for one or more players with big salaries and need to leave a lot of room to do this. I have no issues doing this. Probably will be some attractive players with big salaries available for very reasonable deals as the season ensues and teams start to lose a lot of money (pretty sure a lot of teams are going to lose a lot of money trying to play with 0-20% capacity).

There aren't going to be many teams in a position to take on a lot of salary and the Mets should be able to take advantage and get a really good player or two for pennies on the dollar. It might not happen though for a few months. Worse case, they have to wait until the end of the season. I doubt that will happen.

It's hard to be really disappointed in an off-season where 1) we lost the Wilpons, and 2) we traded for Lindor (AND Carasco) but I am very much not in love with this off-season. I thought how they handled the catcher situation was a real miss. And then you're willing to go huge money (shorter term, I get that) for Bauer but arent really all that close on Realmuto or Springer. I dunno.

They should be good, and there is time to d add to what they have, but, just a little underwhelmed I think.

It's hard to be really disappointed in an off-season where 1) we lost the Wilpons, and 2) we traded for Lindor (AND Carasco) but I am very much not in love with this off-season. I thought how they handled the catcher situation was a real miss. And then you're willing to go huge money (shorter term, I get that) for Bauer but arent really all that close on Realmuto or Springer. I dunno.

They should be good, and there is time to d add to what they have, but, just a little underwhelmed I think.
The Lindor trade is an A plus move. I actually like Mcann I don't think the difference between realamuto and him are that much. I don't understand not getting Springer. Why because they are that worried about him in year 4 or 5? With Cohen's money he could buy him out if he was that bad. I also don't get losing Paxton for like another mil or two we need another sp

The Lindor trade is an A plus move. I actually like Mcann I don't think the difference between realamuto and him are that much. I don't understand not getting Springer. Why because they are that worried about him in year 4 or 5? With Cohen's money he could buy him out if he was that bad. I also don't get losing Paxton for like another mil or two we need another sp

Paxton I agree on.

It's funny, I think Realmuto was a much bigger miss. To me, he is, by a mile, the best catcher in the game. And I actually don't think Springer is a huge upgrade over Nimmo. I think Realmuto > McCann by more than Springer > Nimmo I guess is my point. And Realumto ended up being cheaper!

Paxton I agree on.

It's funny, I think Realmuto was a much bigger miss. To me, he is, by a mile, the best catcher in the game. And I actually don't think Springer is a huge upgrade over Nimmo. I think Realmuto > McCann by more than Springer > Nimmo I guess is my point. And Realumto ended up being cheaper!
I think if the Mets only knew how cheap Realmuto was going to end up being, they would have gone that way. Realmuto’s agent asked for too much and was not willing to consider signing early, which ended up costing him tens of millions of dollars.

Getting Realmuto would have also severely weakened the Phillies. Oh well, at least we got McCann, who I think is a major upgrade over Ramos (and a lot younger too).

If we can sign Rosenthal and Walker, it turns a good, could have been amazing off season into a very good off season. Kind of hoping we do not sign JBJ, at least not if it has to be a 4 year contract for $80 million or thereabouts. Just don’t think he is worth it. Would rather leave that money on the table for a future acquisition.

Tebow was never going to be a MLB level player, but I bet the Syracuse Mets are sad he will not be on the team this season. He was a box office draw, and a favorite heckling target of young, drunk fans.

From all I could see, he was and remains a genuine good guy. I wish him success in the future. Still won’t eat at the Core Eatery though...

I think if the Mets only knew how cheap Realmuto was going to end up being, they would have gone that way. Realmuto’s agent asked for too much and was not willing to consider signing early, which ended up costing him tens of millions of dollars.

Getting Realmuto would have also severely weakened the Phillies. Oh well, at least we got McCann, who I think is a major upgrade over Ramos (and a lot younger too).

If we can sign Rosenthal and Walker, it turns a good, could have been amazing off season into a very good off season. Kind of hoping we do not sign JBJ, at least not if it has to be a 4 year contract for $80 million or thereabouts. Just don’t think he is worth it. Would rather leave that money on the table for a future acquisition.
Say good bye to Rosenthal... signed with the As. I think not being able to guarantee a closer role is hurting the Mets.

Walker incoming?

Why are they replacing Lugo? he might be their best bullpen guy.
He‘s out till May and even when he is back they need to push Familia and Betances out of pressure situations. Hopefully having better starters 1-5 will save the pen vs the reclamation projects last year.

He‘s out till May and even when he is back they need to push Familia and Betances out of pressure situations. Hopefully having better starters 1-5 will save the pen vs the reclamation projects last year.

Once Noah is back in June you might see David Peterson move to the 'pen

well they only have so many slots to sign people with so many contracts they already have.. many of them dont have options to try and stash them in the minors.

well they only have so many slots to sign people with so many contracts they already have.. many of them dont have options to try and stash them in the minors.
True... I’ve never fully understood the complexities of mlb roster management with the 40 man roster, options, etc...

Looks like your wish has been granted.

Last move to make is another bullpen arm to replace lugo
Nice to get Walker. Agree, our starting pitching is now all set. Not many teams will be able to match it. $10 million a season seems reasonable.

Martino says there is virtually no chance the Mets sign JBJ.

Agree, improving relief pitching is the next objective.

now they can put Peterson in the minors to start and see what happens unless he really does well in Spring Training.. so many teams are gonna worry about guys hitting innings limits we might see some 6 man rotations in the summer which would be good if we try to phase Noah back in.

now they can put Peterson in the minors to start and see what happens unless he really does well in Spring Training.. so many teams are gonna worry about guys hitting innings limits we might see some 6 man rotations in the summer which would be good if we try to phase Noah back in.

The IL is playing nothing but 6 game series this year with Mondays off. I like it. I've always been frustrated that with 5 pitcher rotations, you don't get to see teams entire rotations against each other and ace vs. ace like we used to. maybe the majors could look into that.

Once Noah is back in June you might see David Peterson move to the 'pen
I don't like that unless he struggles this year. He pitched well last year and I hate not having a lefty in the rotation.