2020-21 ny mets thread | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2020-21 ny mets thread

you have to think at as some 1-2 of the key guys start to hit a little. not geting key hits is killer but Mcneil and Lindor cant hit 150 either all year.

Keith Hernandez: "I've never seen anything like this, not on Doc's greatest day!"

Nationals vs. Mets - Box Score - April 23, 2021 - ESPN
doc threw that curve ball that just devastated people.. his big issue was how often the umps missed it too.. still in a day where so many batters swing and miss it would be fun to watch.. imagine nolan ryan now he might have 15 no hitters these days.

doc threw that curve ball that just devastated people.. his big issue was how often the umps missed it too.. still in a day where so many batters swing and miss it would be fun to watch.. imagine nolan ryan now he might have 15 no hitters these days.

The Mets have had a lot of fine pitchers over the year but the three towering peaks have bene Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden and Jake DeGrom. Career wins: 311, 194 and 72. That's an interesting baseball trend, although there were individual factors that helped to determine those numbers as well.

deGrom has more quality starts than Kershaw the last 4 yrs and half as many wins..

If they can get some consistency in the heart of the lineup and Lindor can pick things up given Nimmo is red hot I really like how things are looking as we get Carrasco and Thor back.

If they can get some consistency in the heart of the lineup and Lindor can pick things up given Nimmo is red hot I really like how things are looking as we get Carrasco and Thor back.

Except Stroman is mad at the umps and has given up 4 runs in less than 3 innings.

Except Stroman is mad at the umps and has given up 4 runs in less than 3 innings.
The bigger problem is once the opponent scores 4 runs the game is effectively over because the Mets offense stinks. This puts a ton of pressure on the pitching staff to make a perfect pitch every time.

Mets signed Lindor to like the 3rd highest contract in history... I pray they didn‘t do It for a .200 hitter. Conforto is literally losing 50 to 100 mm off his next contract.

The bigger problem is once the opponent scores 4 runs the game is effectively over because the Mets offense stinks. This puts a ton of pressure on the pitching staff to make a perfect pitch every time.

Mets signed Lindor to like the 3rd highest contract in history... I pray they didn‘t do It for a .200 hitter. Conforto is literally losing 50 to 100 mm off his next contract.
Giminez has more homers than Lindor. Conforto struggling might be a blessing. There is no way he's worth anywhere close to the money he was talking about.

Yeah, we got the bleeding stopped with 4 innings to go but never made a run at that. 1-7 become 1-7. There have bene too many games like that in recent years. We get down and there's no comeback. We can't even make a run at them.

Yeah, we got the bleeding stopped with 4 innings to go but never made a run at that. 1-7 become 1-7. There have bene too many games like that in recent years. We get down and there's no comeback. We can't even make a run at them.
I can live with today Stroman has been so good he was due for a bad one these games happen. It's the games like Tuesday and Thursday that really tick me off when they can't get a big hit to save their life. Just like last year.

Can someone explain to me how DeGrom gave up a HR @ Colorado in the 5th inning, but it was not credited as an earned run?

Can someone explain to me how DeGrom gave up a HR @ Colorado in the 5th inning, but it was not credited as an earned run?
There was an error that happened before the home run. So in theory if the error wasn't made the guy that hit the homer never would have batted.

Here is what happened in that inning:

Rockies - Bottom 5th​

So Fuentes should have been out 1.

Hilliard was out 2.

Nunez tripled. No score yet, 2 outs.

Dana’s fly out should have been the 3rd out. No runs would have scored if not for the error.

59 runs in 18 games. Barely over 3 runs a game. It's not historically bad as I believe the worst ever by an MLB team was 2.5 runs or less a game but still pretty awful.

Rockies - Bottom 5th​

Hilliard was out 2.

Dana’s fly out should have been the 3rd out. No runs would have scored if not for the error.

Another reason I don't like the 'earned runs' concept. Tapia could have hit the same home run in the 6th inning and it would have been earned. Do goalies have "unearned goals"?

There was an error that happened before the home run. So in theory if the error wasn't made the guy that hit the homer never would have batted.

Rockies - Bottom 5th​

Hilliard was out 2.

Thank you both for the explanation. I thought that may have been the case. Honestly, I played baseball through college, and never realized the earned run rule was applied like that. It's kinda dumb. SWC75 gives a good reason why.

Thank you both for the explanation. I thought that may have been the case. Honestly, I played baseball through college, and never realized the earned run rule was applied like that. It's kinda dumb. SWC75 gives a good reason why.
Like many sports statistics, it is imperfect. But it does give some recognition of the fielding support a pitcher received.

The logic is sound to me. If the outs were made, the runs wouldn’t have happened.

once the play is made that would have been the 3rd out nothing else matters for earned runs. not sure how a goalie situation would apply. they do keep track of ES vs Man up goals. But its soccer its mostly 1 for all of them

The logic is sound to me. If the outs were made, the runs wouldn’t have happened.

My problem is that baseball plays the most games: twice as many as basketball or hockey and ten times as much as football yet it's the only only sport that abscesses over whether a statistic is 'earned'. Surely the anomalies in this sport would be more overwhelmed by the opportunities than in any other. When they give the scores they don't just give the runs that were earned: they give all the runs that were scored. You want to know how many runs a pitcher tends to give up ? Should count al the runs that will show up on the scoreboard. A goalie will give up more goals when his team's defense is poor than if it is good. They all count against his team and they all count against him.

Great pickup that Lindor has been Mets fans. Boo Birds are out early this season.

My problem is that baseball plays the most games: twice as many as basketball or hockey and ten times as much as football yet it's the only only sport that abscesses over whether a statistic is 'earned'. Surely the anomalies in this sport would be more overwhelmed by the opportunities than in any other. When they give the scores they don't just give the runs that were earned: they give all the runs that were scored. You want to know how many runs a pitcher tends to give up ? Should count al the runs that will show up on the scoreboard. A goalie will give up more goals when his team's defense is poor than if it is good. They all count against his team and they all count against him.
If one wants to assess if a pitcher is good and compare him to others, you should look at multiple indicators, not just the score board. I would hope you agree with that.