2020 MLB Season... | Page 79 | Syracusefan.com

2020 MLB Season...

not intended to offend anyone, but manfred speaks like a stroke victim

By 2022, I will remember more about the Dodgers 1988 World Series win then the Dodgers 2020 World Series win.

In my 40's, I basically remember nothing that happened in the last 10 years of sports -- without much detail. But I still remember things from the 80's when I had no responsibility with fairly significant details

From the 1988 World Series, I still remember Gibson's HR of course, Orel Herchiser who had an epic season and shutout streak, and even a nobody like Mickey Hatcher who stepped up because of all the injuries. Also remember a guy like Mike Davis who was good with the A's. sucked with the dodgers but contributed in the World Series. Overall, without Gibson and the other injuries, the Dodgers may have had the worst lineup ever in the World Series. Off the top of my head I think the other players on the Dodgers were Scioscia, Dempsey, Marshall, Shelby, Sharperson, Sax, Duncan?

By 2022 I will struggle to remember who played the infield for the Dodgers this year.

Alfredo Griffin was the SS! Duncan was gone by then. Franklin Stubbs at 1B. Jeff Hamilton at 3B.

Alfredo Griffin was the SS! Duncan was gone by then. Franklin Stubbs at 1B. Jeff Hamilton at 3B.
Mike Scioscia! And John T-bone Shelby. Always a fan because he was a Rochester Red Wing.

an l.a. tradition: spinning celebratory donuts on van nuys blvd
20201027_212920cr.jpg

A. At least he rode his horse to the finish line
B. I’m 23 so my earliest memory as a Sox fan is watching the year after with my dad, just a little before my time ;)
Mookie signed with the Dodgers after the pandemic destroyed the season.
He wasn’t going get record.breaking money in FA as in a pandemic nobody is going get record breaking money so he didn’t gamble and he took a big deal from the Dodgers.

If the guy was 100% leaving the Red Sox the team should have traded him last season during the trade deadline and they could have gotten more for him. The team was out of it in 2019 and giving a team 2 postseasons with the guy would have been more valuable than 1.

Betts wanted to go to FA then a pandemic happened. The Red Sox have leaked they offered 10 years 320
Million. Mookie pre-pandemic wasn’t taking a discount.

Mookie didn’t cause the team to stupidly give Chris Sale 5 years 150 million or Nathan Evoldi 4 years 68 million.

The organization put themselves in a corner to deal away their best player to dump money off their payroll. The fact they used Mookie to get half of Price’s contract off the books is bad business. If you are going to deal Betts get the best package you can get. Tying Price to him lessened the player package they would receive.

Plus if you are going to trade Betts and your own team has struggled developing pitching you have to get a pitching prospect back which of course they didn’t.

The Red Sox deserve to suck for their mismanagement. I am happy for Mookie.

Also props to the Dodgers and neutral fans at the game last night.
They made Rob Manfred realize something it appears he was unaware of. That he is extremely unpopular with baseball fans.
Watching Manfred he really struggled to speak with all the booing.

The guy somehow has passed Goodell as the worst commissioner in major sports and actually makes Bud Selig look good in comparison.

Justin Turner not isolating and coming back out was insanely selfish. Every single person in his presence should get tested for their own safety.

weird that in a year supposedly composed of BS seasons ... clearly the best hockey , basketball , and now baseball teams have won the championships.. how often does that happen?

They made Rob Manfred realize something it appears he was unaware of. That he is extremely unpopular with baseball fans.

The guy somehow has passed Goodell as the worst commissioner in major sports and actually makes Bud Selig look good in comparison.

Justin Turner not isolating and coming back out was insanely selfish. Every single person in his presence should get tested for their own safety.

Wait...Turner was out there? What the hell?

They we’re talking like he wasn’t.

Seager! Good for him. (I'm always wrong)

I was earlier saying Urias or Seager for the entire playoffs(which isn’t actually an award), though Kershaw would be in the running there too.

But for this series, it had to be Seager with Kershaw 2nd IMO. Urias didn’t get as many chances this series. But man, did he lock that game away. I wasn’t even nervous because he never showed a hint of being in any trouble.

Dodgers have the code cracked - great drafts, great development, good eye for castoffs and deep pockets.

Rays are a great story but I think their genius gets a little overplayed - I know its cool to see they robbed the Pirates but Meadows is a non-factor and wouldn't have cracked the Pirates line up with Polanco and frankly Glasnow isn't that much different than he was in Pittsburgh. Too wild to eat innings. Archer's injury skews the deal but I think the Rays get too much "smarter" credit.

Case in point their manager pulling Snell and a team being so stubborn that they could not piece two hits in a row together all series, not trying to take advantage of the shift. What's the insanity definition of doing the same ineffective thing over and over. ONe of these low funded teams is going to go old school cardinals and steal some wins.

Wait...Turner was out there? What the hell?

They we’re talking like he wasn’t.
The picture I posted is Turner on the field after the game.
Next to manager his who is a cancer survivor.
Turner broke protocol to celebrate the title on the field.
Kevin Cash being a stat geek helped MLB avoid a situation where several players could have been out for covid.

Agree about Turner. This sums it up pretty well I think.

The picture I posted is Turner on the field after the game.
Next to manager his who is a cancer survivor.
Turner broke protocol to celebrate the title on the field.
Kevin Cash being a stat geek helped MLB avoid a situation where several players could have been out for covid.

Very true. Imagine if we had no JT and others for a game 7? That might’ve been an even worse way to lose a game 7 than Houston cheating us in ‘17.

So glad we got it done last night. I wasn’t real optimistic going into it because of the pitching matchup, but man did our bullpen come through. And thankfully they pulled Snell. I was THRILLED.

Also I didn't mean to turn this into a thread for the off topic board by bringing up the Turner issue.

As it relates to the actual game, the Dodgers were the best team and they took care of business this year. So congrats to them.

That article is just a bit over the top in my opinion. If his Monday test was positive, and he’s been doing normal activity with the team through last night, most of the other players have already been exposed. Mask wearing is occasional and haphazard, even by Roberts. It’s not like he’d only be contagious after learning of his status 5 innings later.

I don’t know. Calling the celebration a superspreader event while he’s been in the dugout without a mask for at least two games seems ridiculous.

That article is just a bit over the top in my opinion. If his Monday test was positive, and he’s been doing normal activity with the team through last night, most of the other players have already been exposed. Mask wearing is occasional and haphazard, even by Roberts. It’s not like he’d only be contagious after learning of his status 5 innings later.

I don’t know. Calling the celebration a superspreader event while he’s been in the dugout without a mask for at least two games seems ridiculous.
"superspreading event" is loose descriptor with no scientifically agreed upon actual definition, and the rough set of descriptors assigned to it are very technical in nature.

in the case of the press, the term is simply used as a rhetorical weapon used to gore whatever ox someone wants to target, and ms. apstein wielded it as unthinkingly as most media members do

I was earlier saying Urias or Seager for the entire playoffs(which isn’t actually an award), though Kershaw would be in the running there too.

But for this series, it had to be Seager with Kershaw 2nd IMO. Urias didn’t get as many chances this series. But man, did he lock that game away. I wasn’t even nervous because he never showed a hint of being in any trouble.
what do they do with urias going forward? he could be an excellent #2 starter (really 1a) behind buehler as an aging kershaw falls back to #3 . . .

or he could become the lights out closer they have lacked as kenley has declined. i know some think that will be graterol, but for a guy who throws as hard as he does, he doesn't strike out a lot of people

My God. They are professional athletes pro baseball players hardly an at risk demographic. Just won a world series in an unprecedent season mentally and physically. Let them celebrate.

what do they do with urias going forward? he could be an excellent #2 starter (really 1a) behind buehler as an aging kershaw falls back to #3 . . .

or he could become the lights out closer they have lacked as kenley has declined. i know some think that will be graterol, but for a guy who throws as hard as he does, he doesn't strike out a lot of people

Its a good question. I would say starter because I think he could be a legit front line rotation guy, but potentially having a lights out closer is intriguing. We didn’t have to worry about that for so long with Jansen, but hes definitely slipped the last few years and it doesn’t seem like he’ll go back the other way.

Its a good question. I would say starter because I think he could be a legit front line rotation guy, but potentially having a lights out closer is intriguing. We didn’t have to worry about that for so long with Jansen, but hes definitely slipped the last few years and it doesn’t seem like he’ll go back the other way.
i won't be surprised if they make a serious run at trevor bauer and roll out buehler/bauer/kershaw/price as their core rotation

their greatest need is closer, and there isn't a better option than urias on the market

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom