2020 PGA Tour... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2020 PGA Tour...

double edged sword.. dryness made the bombers hit 280 yd carries that rolled out 100 yds too.

its gonna play like an OPEN today and Jack sounded like he liked that yesterday.

Stand by what I said (as did Jack this week). Course got lucky that the baking and the wind, and decision to not water, is making it unplayable. If Jack wasn't involved players would be bit--ing like crazy. Weather is the only deterry to equipment advances and that isn't a solution.
I think I’m on your side. Ernie disagrees.

I think I’m on your side. Ernie disagrees.

I'm okay with Ernie's position. What did the bombers - DeChambeau, Wolff, Finau, Johnson, List - win Sunday? Yes, Rahm hits it pretty big, but he's not the "biggest." And he hit irons off the first five tees. DeChanbeau proved with a 10 on 15 on Friday that even the biggest hitters have to bee a little smarter when it counts.

It's important to remember golf is first a business. What endorsements will be available to pros if they're playing different equipment? What advertising revenues for TV? Every one of us who plays does so, in part at least, because in every round you can hit a few shots that not even a pro can do any better. And if the fan base erodes, what impact will it have on the industry? Scores of courses have already closed in the USA.

The way the course is set up does matter. The old style Detroit course was a clam with a sunstroke, and Muirfield was already almost unplayable through benign neglect with the construction beginning as we speak. Neither was a lot of fun to watch. But some of the US Open set ups in recent years made the tournament boring, everyone hitting 2 irons off tee after tee. Face it, it's fun watching the best playerd make good shots. I don't know what the answer is, but maybe some of the dinosaurs who run golf need to get out of the way

I'm okay with Ernie's position. What did the bombers - DeChambeau, Wolff, Finau, Johnson, List - win Sunday? Yes, Rahm hits it pretty big, but he's not the "biggest." And he hit irons off the first five tees. DeChanbeau proved with a 10 on 15 on Friday that even the biggest hitters have to bee a little smarter when it counts.

It's important to remember golf is first a business. What endorsements will be available to pros if they're playing different equipment? What advertising revenues for TV? Every one of us who plays does so, in part at least, because in every round you can hit a few shots that not even a pro can do any better. And if the fan base erodes, what impact will it have on the industry? Scores of courses have already closed in the USA.

The way the course is set up does matter. The old style Detroit course was a clam with a sunstroke, and Muirfield was already almost unplayable through benign neglect with the construction beginning as we speak. Neither was a lot of fun to watch. But some of the US Open set ups in recent years made the tournament boring, everyone hitting 2 irons off tee after tee. Face it, it's fun watching the best playerd make good shots. I don't know what the answer is, but maybe some of the dinosaurs who run golf need to get out of the way
It is definitely a style choice by the fan - I personally hate the courses that cater to the players (no rough and easy greens) and would rather see them challenged. Until the weather took over this weekend the entire re-start of the tour has shown that the best shot is a 350 plus yard drive, followed by a short wedge. For me it takes to much skill out of the game. That said sometimes the push back by organizers is also absurd and this week was exhibit A. I said earlier if that wasn't Jack's event players would have been complaining.

It is definitely a style choice by the fan - I personally hate the courses that cater to the players (no rough and easy greens) and would rather see them challenged. Until the weather took over this weekend the entire re-start of the tour has shown that the best shot is a 350 plus yard drive, followed by a short wedge. For me it takes to much skill out of the game. That said sometimes the push back by organizers is also absurd and this week was exhibit A. I said earlier if that wasn't Jack's event players would have been complaining.
Good point. If this was a USGA open this past week players would’ve had a fit.

if you watched the event though, It was tough with the wind but the greens were not that severe nor was the rough.. If you go thru the shot trackers guys were mis-hitting shots by 30-40 yds from the fairway. Guys have been dialed in on playing pitch and putt golf for 3-4 weeks and suddenly it wasnt.

would love to see Richy Werenski get his first win today. Supposedly an amazing guy off the golf course. I’ve heard from 3 different people about his character. Just hit one in the drink though. Sunday pressure may be getting to him.

Regarding easy vs too hard US open type layout.

I like variety over the course of the year, so some of both shootouts and grinds. The problem with some US open setups is they take it from hard to unplayable and really unfair. When the US open gets it right it is great.

would love to see Richy Werenski get his first win today. Supposedly an amazing guy off the golf course. I’ve heard from 3 different people about his character. Just hit one in the drink though. Sunday pressure may be getting to him.
Richy with the lead again!

PGA Championship

Harding Park - I've played this course 8-10 times, never broke 80 there.

Here are ESPN's Tier 1 contenders with my comments:

ESPN: Here are the legitimate contenders to win the PGA Championship. They have the games, guts and nerves to handle four pressure-packed rounds filled with Pacific winds and juicy, thick rough.

Patrick Cantlay
The 28-year-old tied for third at last year's PGA Championship at Bethpage Black, 6 shots behind Koepka, after finishing tied for ninth at the Masters. The California native, regarded as one of the game's best ball strikers, is more than ready to break through at a major. Possible, but don't bet on it.

Jason Day
The 2015 PGA Championship winner broke up with his longtime swing coach and has looked good in three straight tournaments. His chronic back woes are always a concern. No, I don't see him getting back to where he was.

Bryson DeChambeau
Lions, tigers and ants, oh my! It would be almost criminal if the PGA doesn't pair DeChambeau with Koepka -- they have traded barbs the past few months -- in the first two rounds. Talk about must-see TV. Serious threat to win, sometime, but not this week - I like Bryson's unorthodoxy, but the scientist schtick is a turn off - not sure if that is his fault or the media's.

Tony Finau
Clearly, Finau is no Mariano Rivera. He has 30 top-10s since his lone tour victory at the 2016 Puerto Rico Open, tied for the fourth-highest total on tour since the start of the 2016-17 season. Lots of talent and ability to go low, but no - he doesn't seem to have IT - see R Fowler.

Tommy Fleetwood
After a three-month layoff and mandatory 14-day quarantine upon arriving in the U.S. from England, Fleetwood has looked a bit rusty in two starts. He is the highest-ranked player in the Official World Golf Rankings (No. 13) not to have won a tournament on U.S. soil. Was one of my picks to win a major this 'year' but his game doesn't look in good shape.

Rickie Fowler
Since Fowler hired John Tillery as his new swing coach, there have been encouraging signs in his game. If you hadn't heard, he's trying to end an oh-for-39 drought in majors. He has made the cut in 14 straight majors, second to only Koepka's 22 among active players. No, an older version of Finau. I think he is older?

Tyrrell Hatton
The Englishman is controlling his temper and has complete control of his game. He won the Arnold Palmer Invitational in March and had two top-5s after the restart. He has finished in the top 10 in five majors in the previous four years. Possibly.

Dustin Johnson
After winning the Travelers Championship in June, DJ was a mess before a respectable showing in the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational this past week. He nearly chased down Koepka in the final round at Bethpage Black last year before losing by 2. Looks like crap for months and then bombs a win. I would not bet on him this week.

Brooks Koepka
Just when we thought Koepka was in trouble, he returned to form at TPC Southwind. Nobody plays better in majors -- just ask him. Koepka is 70 under in 12 majors since the start of 2017, 36 strokes better than everyone else. The guy that was helped the most by the COVID delay - time to recover from his injury, he looked like crap until last week. Still think that Brooks' super-major-mojo has run out, so no.

Rory McIlroy
The former world No. 1 doesn't have a top-10 in five starts after the long layoff and has looked out of sorts. He won the last tour event at TPC Harding Park -- the 2015 WGC-Match Play. If McIlroy gets his short game in order, he'll be a threat to win a third PGA Championship. My guy! The guy that was hurt the most by the COVID delay - his game was in great shape, he was winning, he was primed for a major win or two - now he is just another contender.

Collin Morikawa
Winning a major in his first 14 months as a pro might be asking a little too much from Morikawa, but everything has come fast for the 23-year-old. He already has two wins and is ranked No. 12 in the world. I don't think it is asking too much - this kid is a legit threat.

Jon Rahm
With his dominant victory at the Memorial, Rahm joined Seve Ballesteros as the only Spaniards to hold the No. 1 ranking in the world. He's also only the third golfer to reach No. 1 without a major championship win; Lee Westwood and Luke Donald were the others. Rahm finished tied for 11th or better in five of the previous eight majors. My pick. Probably a lot of others' pick.

Xander Schauffele
Schauffele is still searching for his first major title and hasn't won in 19 months, but he's typically in the mix on golf's biggest stages. He tied for third at the 2019 U.S. Open and tied for runner-up at the 2019 Masters and 2018 Open Championship. It's only a matter of time until he finally closes one out. Definitely has the game, does he have the mind - not this week.

Adam Scott
The 40-year-old Australian hasn't played on American soil since the coronavirus pandemic shut down the tour in March. He spent the past two weeks working with his team in North Carolina. Scott finished in the top 10 at the past two PGA Championships, including a tie for eighth at Bethpage Black. No.

Webb Simpson
Simpson added a suddenly reliable putter to his world-class irons and has two tour victories to show for it this season. He isn't very long off the tee, but it doesn't matter much when the rest of his game is so good. Very possible - agree with ESPN's assessment.

Justin Thomas
He is coming off a win at the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational, his 13th victory. All of those have come in the past five seasons. Nobody on tour has more wins than he does over that stretch. Yes, hell yes. My second pick after Rahm.

Brendon Todd
A year ago, Todd was ranked No. 797 in the world. He already has two tour wins, held the 54-hole lead in Memphis and is a legitimate contender for PGA Tour Player of the Year. It's his first PGA Championship start since a missed cut in 2015. Possible, but wouldn't bet on him.

Others:

Tiger - no, his luck ran out at the last masters.
Phil - no, even with his good showing last week, and he does well on soft wet CA courses, and it is fog season so the course will be comparatively soft and wet. But no.
Hovland - would not surprise me a bit. This kid is going to be great.
Woodland - no.
Patrick Reed - please no!

I heard the most absurd claim from a fellow golfer in my life yesterday -- you know the type, struggling today but claims to normally be much better... and at times they are probably telling the truth. But there are times you know they are full of crap.

I was playing with my parents, and we were joined by a 75 year old man. It was his third time at this course - he played last year and about 10 years ago.

He hit a fairly decent ball (good swing), and probably shot somewhere around mid 90's as his game had a number of sloppy shots. Nothing to be ashamed of for a 75 year old in my mind.

After a decent drive off the first hole, he says "I used to hit the ball much longer, I was a long hitter. My joints are sore today". I believe him -- he was a big guy, had a nice swing, he was 75 now.

As we get to the par 5 3rd hole, he says when he played here 10 years ago, he got an eagle. Once again very possible - it was a shortish par 5.

As we get to the fifth hole, he says " I have hit so many bad shots today -- I have my wrong clubs today. Do you know when I played here 10 years ago, I shot a 61 -- off the back tees."

This was the most absurd thing I had ever heard from a fellow golfer.

I know this track is relatively easy -- it is the easiest of the two 18 hole courses here. But there is no way in hell he shot a 61 here. It was one of the most crazy things I had ever been told. He went full ------ ... don't go full ------ .

Jason Day
The 2015 PGA Championship winner broke up with his longtime swing coach and has looked good in three straight tournaments. His chronic back woes are always a concern. No, I don't see him getting back to where he was.

Good analysis - but I wanted to note Jason Day. He is playing very solid right now.

Memorial is not a course he does well at (despite being a member). Never had a top 15 in any year, and he had a seventh and a fourth. And then a sixth last week. He seems to have found a way to work around his back.

Day was also a player earlier in his career before he became a top 10 player, that tended to overachieve at majors. (Several top finishes). Over 8 years his mindset

I think Day at 35-1 is good value this week -- especially on a two way bet (where you get 1/4 payout for a top 8 finish).

Not that he was my favourite to win -- but good betting value. I have my favourites as Thomas and Koepka -- I have been fooled by Koepka a few too many times by poor momentum running into majors.

i can count on 1 hand the people i know that have shot close to 61 on any courses around here. even shotting below 68 is tough for scratch golfers.

i give brooks no shot. way too lose with the driver,, reavie should have won sunday, played the best, but missed a ton of putts including a 2ft birdie on the back 9. Thomas also was wild and got away with it. can he do that 2 weeks in a row? But he does so many good things.. He is the only guy above who I think can win

i can count on 1 hand the people i know that have shot close to 61 on any courses around here. even shotting below 68 is tough for scratch golfers.

I can count on zero fingers the people I personally know that shot a 61. I have played with one golfer who has ever claimed to shoot 65 (which I believed) as he plays in the provincial amateur tournaments.

Note this is the first year, since my teenage years, that I am a member anywhere and I am a 12 handicapper, so I don't hang with great golfers.

Last edited:
I played 15 holes last night. had 6 birdies.. had 4 on the back 9 but that only netted me a 35, cause I couldnt get the pars and that wouldnt have gotten me a 30-31 for a 61.. getting 9-10-11 birdies though for a 61 is crazy on any decent course. I have shot 30 though on the local courses, but most of those if you drive well its just wedges or chips to the greens. never done it back to back rounds though.

i give brooks no shot. way too lose with the driver,, reavie should have won sunday, played the best, but missed a ton of putts including a 2ft birdie on the back 9. Thomas also was wild and got away with it. can he do that 2 weeks in a row? But he does so many good things.. He is the only guy above who I think can win

I'm not going to doubt Koepka until he actually starts playing poorly in the majors. I have made bad opinions on form one too many times.

Here is what Koepka did in his 3 events before the majors last year, and the events in between the 4 majors - MC, 56th, 56th, 4th, 50th, 57th, 65th. He was certainly playing loose with his driver before all the majors.

And here is what he did in the majors - 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 4th

He had a similar trend in 2018, but not as big a gap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom