2020 PGA Tour... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2020 PGA Tour...

Extremely strong field for this weekend's event.

16 of the top 20 players in the world, including the top 5
37 of the top 50 players in the world.

The world golf rankings event stength ranking is 72 -- compared to 54 last year, which is a massive difference

For context a 72 event is about the same as the highest rated event on tour other than a major ... it is just a tad below the strength of some WGC events. While 54 is a field that is a bit above average for a regular event.

This might be the strongest "regular" event in many years.

It will be interesting to see which players are sharp fairly quickly.

Meh, I'll watch it on mute. Nantz and Faldo are annoying twits.

I don't dislike Nantz for golf ... don't like him much but he is tolerable.
Just keep him away from college basketball forever.

It will be interesting to see which players are sharp fairly quickly.
Spieth storyline is so intriguing this week. He has dominated Colonial historically but his form has been dreadful for like 2 years now. Which Jordan shows this week?

Spieth storyline is so intriguing this week. He has dominated Colonial historically but his form has been dreadful for like 2 years now. Which Jordan shows this week?

It's hard to dislike him, he seems like a pretty "good kid." It's happened before when some young player bangs off a couple or three majors, and the media proclaims them "the next one." Then there come along so many other demands on their time - appearances, endorsements, commercials, etc - they don't have the time to continue working on the things that got them there. True, it didn't happen that way with Tiger, but maybe that's why he grew up with the personality of a plugged toilet?

Jordan does seem like a good guy off the course. But on the course, I find Spieth a robotic personality, lacking in charisma ... like many golfers on the tour. I also think the games that Thomas and Spieth played at the recent Ryder Cup a bit childish, although I can understand not wanting to play with Reed. Tiger had a more charismatic personality on the course itself. (certainly not off the course)

Even while he was winning at a ridiculous level, and you can find prior comments, I doubted Jordan's ability to become a top tier all timer (that is beyond just being a hall of famer which he has already pretty much locked). He does not have the great ball-striking talent to sustain the elite play he had for that approximate three year stretch -- his success was much too based on unsustainable levels of clutch putting and general grinding. He will get back to a top 10 player at times and might win another major or two.

All IMO of course.

Last edited:
Jordan does seem like a good guy off the course. But on the course, I find Spieth a robotic personality, lacking in charisma ... like many golfers on the tour. I also think the games that Thomas and Spieth played at the recent Ryder Cup a bit childish, although I can understand not wanting to play with Reed. Tiger had a more charismatic personality on the course itself. (certainly not off the course)

Even while he was winning at a ridiculous level, and you can find prior comments, I doubted Jordan's ability to become a top tier all timer (that is beyond just being a hall of famer which he has already pretty much locked). He does not have the great ball-striking talent to sustain the elite play he had for that approximate three year stretch -- his success was much too based on unsustainable levels of clutch putting and general grinding. He will get back to a top 10 player at times and might win another major or two.

All IMO of course.

Looking like a good call so far. :confused:

I was watching Golf Central this morning before the start of golf and out of nowhere when talking about Rory Mcilroy, Brandel Chamblee went off on twitter saying it was a place of left biased negativity ... and co-host Rich Lerner asked him how is any of that relevant a few times which was quite awkward, I was going to post something at the time but it was hard to accurately describe what had happened so I passed.

Not that it was seriously offensive by itself (however it was certainly unnecessary and totally random political chat that is inaccurate in my opinion), but it was odd how it came out of nowhere.

Anyway did find a link to it

Last edited:
Berger has been on a nice run - 4 straight top 10's.

Easy to forget that just 3 years ago he was one of the top young players in golf and was considered part of the great Jordan Speith / Justin Thomas high school class IIRC. (he had reached #18 in the world in 2017)

Some thoughts on this week's tournament.

#1) Again a very strong field for this week at the RBC Heritage in South Carolina- Field Strength of 72 (Last Year 58)

Top 6 in world
8 of top 10 (no Adam Scott, no Patrick Cantlay)
15 of top 20 (no Fleetwood, Woods, Leishman)
38 of top 50
5 Canadians (interesting for me)

#2) For those betting this weeks course is very much a course management course -- it is not a course that you can bomb through that many holes because angles are very important around the trees on many holes.

I think course experience matters on this one more than others, so I would not bet on those that have never played here or those that rely on overpowering (For example Rory and Rahm). In fact most of the top players have always avoided playing this tournament - perhaps because it is after the Masters. But I think many because of the course layout not that appealing to victory.

#1 Rory Mcilroy - Never played
#2 Jon Rahm - Never played

#3Justin Thomas - Skipped last 3 years when he could get more picky on scheduling. 2016 (75th), 2015 (11th),
#4 Brooks Koepka - Never played

#5 Dustin Johnson - 28th, 16th last two years. But before that despite being South Carolina born, had not played the event since 2009 -- obviously it was not a favourite of his.
#6 Patrick Reed - Has not played since 2015. His placing here have been #33, #48, #71

#9 Webb Simpson - plays here every year - 16,5, 11, 66,55, 2. He has a fairly strong history and three straight top 20's. Although he stank last week and missed the cut.

#10 Xander Schauffele - Has played last two years and has finished 63rd and 32nd

So not that much appealing from the top 10 except for maybe Webb Simpson, who struggled last week.

#3) I have read that this week has the most former winners of a PGA tour event (around 110) in a field ever on the PGA tour --- beat the record set last week.

That is great and all but here is my problem -- these fields have many senior tour former winners of the tournament who are playing and taking up spots of carded PGA players who are stuck on the sidelines because they cannot get in the field which could really impact their career. Now to be fair those players as former tournament champs have higher status - but they typically do not play. You are getting more senior tour players who would not typically play, getting cut badly -- I suppose they have nowhere to play right now so do not blame them, but they would typically pass on the tourney.

The three worst players last week were all senior former winners - Keith Clearwater and David Frost (missed cut by 18 shots, and Olin Browne missed by 15 shots. Browne and Frost had not played in the tournament since 2014 and 2013 respectively.

Other seniors who played last week were Langer, Lehman, McCarron, and Stricker -- but at least they are still amongst the best seniors in the world and while all cut were competitive.

Top 10 players in the world top 100 who have good history in this tournament (and playing this week)

#9 Webb Simpson
#12 Bryson Dechambeau
#18 Matt Kuchar
#37 Kevin Kisner
#53 Jason Day
#55 Jordan Speith
#60 Ian Poulter
#70 Brandon Grace
#84 Jim Furyk
#92 Rory Sabbatini
#94 Kevin Streelman

There is a general trend in the type of games of these players. These are players that are typically good iron and wedge players or good grinders. Not bombers --- of course bombers typically avoid the course.

Top 10 players in the world top 100 who have good history in this tournament (and playing this week)

#9 Webb Simpson
#12 Bryson Dechambeau
#18 Matt Kuchar
#37 Kevin Kisner
#53 Jason Day
#55 Jordan Speith
#60 Ian Poulter
#70 Brandon Grace
#84 Jim Furyk
#92 Rory Sabbatini
#94 Kevin Streelman

There is a general trend in the type of games of these players. These are players that are typically good iron and wedge players or good grinders. Not bombers --- of course bombers typically avoid the course.

Simpson and Dechambeau are the top 2 after the second round. Poulter in 5th place. As I expected course experience matters at Hilton Head.

I got some shots left.. Palmer/Fitzpatrick/poston/rose. I think there is money on the table now with so many close.

tough to shoot back to back 63 ish scores and guys like thompson/rooyen/noren/landry at 40+ are some value.

I tend to agree there was value in the -11 and -12's... some were going off at 250-1.

I think somebody will shoot 62 or 63 and end up winning (or top 3) today. Currently 48 players within 5 shots of the lead.. Given that the first 5 holes are fairly easy as a group, I would imagine the current leaders at -15, will not be in the top 5 or possibly even top 10 by the time they tee off.

Justin Thomas started at -9, and is -5 through 6 holes. If he shoots 61, that would get him to -19 -- at minimum that has to be the target today for the players... at minimum.

Its working as expected and also shows that they are not getting sick from the golf side of it but from the living life side of it. test keep it contained as well as you can.. its the same model all sports will have to use.. test test test

people living life and its gonna happen. all sports have to decide how to deal with it

But also think about it had golf not started. those caddies would still have gone off to the funeral and spent time to gether and gotten sick and probably have gotten the players sick because there would have been no testing of them to catch it so soon

another week with a huge number of people at the top starting with Phil..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo123

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom