2020 Transfer Thread | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

In the case of Palonetti he was a freshman and MDs offense was stacked so he could still be quite a good player. But their defense (for the first time in a while) was highly suspect and it could actually be telling that he didn’t see the field at all as a sophomore for a D giving up about 13 goals a game. I’m sure he cracks the top 10 only because, as you said, there isn’t that much playing time from underclasses in the portal. We will save the trashing of IL for if he’s ranked over Fernandez!

I think through the 6 games this season, UMd was playing at a higher tempo than in past years. They averaged 15.67 goals per game to 12.5 goals allowed.
For 2019 the numbers were 12.65 goals per game to 10.71 goals allowed.
I actually thought the defense struggled more in 2019, not being able to stop opponents when it mattered.
It was interesting that UMd started the season playing a converted midfielder at close defense, John Geppert.
One thing to be cautious about is UMd isn't really good at reporting injuries.

I think through the 6 games this season, UMd was playing at a higher tempo than in past years. They averaged 15.67 goals per game to 12.5 goals allowed.
For 2019 the numbers were 12.65 goals per game to 10.71 goals allowed.
I actually thought the defense struggled more in 2019, not being able to stop opponents when it mattered.
It was interesting that UMd started the season playing a converted midfielder at close defense, John Geppert.
One thing to be cautious about is UMd isn't really good at reporting injuries.

True about the potential of them hiding injuries. On top of that they do play a tough early season schedule. I guess the most surprising result was giving up 13 to Albany given their extremely mediocre midfield and terrible face off situation. Did you see that game? Can’t find any footage anywhere.

True about the potential of them hiding injuries. On top of that they do play a tough early season schedule. I guess the most surprising result was giving up 13 to Albany given their extremely mediocre midfield and terrible face off situation. Did you see that game? Can’t find any footage anywhere.
I watched the game on BTN+, but I don't remember much about it. I believe they just had the stadium feed with no announcers for the game.

Gotta feel some for Maryland, inherent recruiting advantages and 4 star recruits arrive each year but some have the audacity not to impact from day one which creates need for transfers. Only count 6 probable starters amongst their nine recent transfers. Brandau , Grill, Burlace, Ubriaco, Brown, Winsauskaus. Smith and Higgins are ssdm and Truckess backup fogo. Their team is loaded but its likely they are still shopping the portal because you can always get better.

Congrats to Kodziz. Young, good degree in hand , job in place and mll option.

Gotta feel some for Maryland, inherent recruiting advantages and 4 star recruits arrive each year but some have the audacity not to impact from day one which creates need for transfers. Only count 6 probable starters amongst their nine recent transfers. Brandau , Grill, Burlace, Ubriaco, Brown, Winsauskaus. Smith and Higgins are ssdm and Truckess backup fogo. Their team is loaded but its likely they are still shopping the portal because you can always get better.
I think the only probable starters are Wisnauskas and Grill.
Most of the others are possible starters.
McNaney took over the goalie job from Brandau the last 2 games, and Drew Morris is now returning, so there will be a real battle in goal.
Geppert finished the season as starting LSM. He'll be tough for Ubriaco to beat out.
Burlace would have to beat out a returning starters at LSM or close defense.
Griffin Brown's chances of starting look slim if Bernhardt returns, decent if he doesn't.
Perhaps, Smith or Higgins will start with Puglise next spring at ssdm. Although, Josh Coffman was starting to impress me there.
With Morris returning, Tillman might not have much scholarship money to dole out. Of course, instate tuition might attract a Maryland resident.

Brown underrated, expect him to start at mid if Bernhardt returns. If he does ridiculous attack and excellent first line midline. Root for Geppert , lsm n ssdm units deep. UM in a hotbed and that 10.6 in state tuition is a definite lure.

Interesting chicken or the egg question here - is Maryland trying to replace guys that have left the program with transfers, or are players leaving because Maryland has brought in transfers? I think its the latter. To me, with Maryland in particular, it seems like they are ruthless when it comes to building their roster, and are especially impatient. I think Tillman likes to operate like an NFL GM, trying to get his hands on as much talent as possible, the effects of this procurement on his current roster an afterthought. It seems to be working for him, I am just really surprise that more coaches haven't been able to use this against him.

Also, I'm sure Zach80 will have names more readily available, but besides Conner Cannizaro and Matt Neufeltd who both left for Denver, I can't think of many players who have left Maryland (and there are a lot) who have been difference makers at their new school?

Brown underrated, expect him to start at mid if Bernhardt returns. If he does ridiculous attack and excellent first line midline. Root for Geppert , lsm n ssdm units deep. UM in a hotbed and that 10.6 in state tuition is a definite lure.
Kyle Long was playing well for the Terps when he returned from his injury. He would be my pick.
Then there is also Jack Brennan, who did nicely as a freshmen.
Then there are top recruits like Malever and Koras coming in.

Interesting chicken or the egg question here - is Maryland trying to replace guys that have left the program with transfers, or are players leaving because Maryland has brought in transfers? I think its the latter. To me, with Maryland in particular, it seems like they are ruthless when it comes to building their roster, and are especially impatient. I think Tillman likes to operate like an NFL GM, trying to get his hands on as much talent as possible, the effects of this procurement on his current roster an afterthought. It seems to be working for him, I am just really surprise that more coaches haven't been able to use this against him.

Also, I'm sure Zach80 will have names more readily available, but besides Conner Cannizaro and Matt Neufeltd who both left for Denver, I can't think of many players who have left Maryland (and there are a lot) who have been difference makers at their new school?
Both Cannizzaro and Neufeldt were starters for the Terps. Most of the other transfers out, were guys who were not playing.
Timmy Monahan did finally get his game together, scoring 48pts for Towson in 2019.

I think grouping all the transfers together is perhaps a mistake, as each is its own case.

We should be in the market for an impact Defenseman. I wonder if this kid could pair with Murphy & DiPietro, allowing Kennedy to move back to LSM (replacing Fernandez, if he indeed leaves).

I had never heard of Hapney before today, but he does seem like an intriguing prospect. Really good size and based on this highlight video from high school looks pretty fast and aggressive. Would love to find someone who could enable Kennedy to go back to midfield, but that’s a tall order. I like DiPietro and Murphy but I gotta say I have a hard time seeing them guard a Sowers, Gray, Moore. Can this guy do it? I have no idea.

“St. Paul’s (MD)/ Crabs Lacrosse LSM Frankie Hapney announced his commitment to Syracuse on Saturday. Hapney’s commitment to Syracuse comes after he decommitted from Michigan back in the fall. Hapney’s brother Nick is a freshman defenseman at Utah.”

I had never heard of Hapney before today, but he does seem like an intriguing prospect. Really good size and based on this highlight video from high school looks pretty fast and aggressive. Would love to find someone who could enable Kennedy to go back to midfield, but that’s a tall order. I like DiPietro and Murphy but I gotta say I have a hard time seeing them guard a Sowers, Gray, Moore. Can this guy do it? I have no idea.

He does look good but like you I’m not convinced any of these big guys have the feet match Sowers, Gray, etc.

Last edited:
Tuition cost of Denver for out of state is 54k so ...

must be the outdoors.

Denver right back in pic