2020 Transfer Thread | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

BXC7KOfU

Transfers: Hobart's Eric Holden to Join Maryland for Fifth Year in 2021
(Inside Lacrosse Photo: Chris Cecere)Hobart senior attackman Eric Holden will spend his fifth year of eligiblity at Maryland in 2021,

BXC7KOfU

Transfers: Hobart's Eric Holden to Join Maryland for Fifth Year in 2021
(Inside Lacrosse Photo: Chris Cecere)Hobart senior attackman Eric Holden will spend his fifth year of eligiblity at Maryland in 2021,

Bernhardt must be gone. Holden is a nice player, he's not Bernhardt

Incoming offensive recruits for MD have to feel like they’re getting punked at this point. “Ashton Kutcher is about to jump out from behind a wall right? I don’t actually have to fight for playing time against this many guys right?”

Incoming offensive recruits for MD have to feel like they’re getting punked at this point. “Ashton Kutcher is about to jump out from behind a wall right? I don’t actually have to fight for playing time against this many guys right?”

Maryland has 3 five star recruits coming in, all in Top Twenty five .

Two attackman, #4 ranked Malever and #11 Kelly (who decommitted from UNC only to join this pileup) and #18 Koras a midfielder, in addition there are 3 four star midfielders , 2 in IL top fifty also arriving

That impending influx of top young talent didnt matter much

Tillman has gone all in for 2021

Maryland has 3 five star recruits coming in, all in Top Twenty five .

Two attackman, #4 ranked Malever and #11 Kelly (who decommitted from UNC only to join this pileup) and #18 Koras a midfielder, in addition there are 3 four star midfielders , 2 in IL top fifty also arriving

That impending influx of top young talent didnt matter much

Tillman has gone all in for 2021

I assume Tillman believes he can keep everyone happy for one year with Brown and Holden being esentially one year mercenaries and Wisnaukas going into his 5th year seems unlikely he will come back for a sixth season in 2022. So Maryland likely feels there will be a decent amount of turnover. That being said its hard to see how they don't have at least a mini exodus next summer, way to many attackmen and goalies stacked up at this point.

Without further ado...

1. Jared Fernandez, Jr., LSM, Syracuse
Making up for a lack of size (5-7, 170 lbs.) with uncanny speed and ability off the ground, Fernandez was a tremendous asset as the Orange's primary longstick on the wings of face-offs. The 2017 Power 100 recruit made an early impact as a rookie after graduating from IMG Academy (Fla.) but suffered a season-ending injury against Virginia — since then, he has played in 21 of 22 games while recording 57 groundballs and 17 caused turnovers. A playmaking Energizer bunny on film, he'll have two years of eligibility remaining and told IL this week that he's down to three schools with a decision expected soon.

13. Sean Donnelly, Fr., A, Syracuse
Donnelly redshirted with the Orange in 2020, but came in with an ACC-ready build and a strong body of work from his time at IMG Academy (Fla.), leading the Ascenders in points as a senior and postgrad. Rated as IL's No. 36 incoming attackman in the 2019 class, he's a creative dodger who has also shown a knack for producing offense out of the midfield. Depending on where he winds up, Donnelly could be put in a position to have success on a roster that isn't overflowing with proven talent like the one at 'Cuse.

Watchlist (listed in alphabetical order)

Andrew Kim, So., M, Syracuse
Justin Kim, So., M, Syracuse

Without further ado...

Making up for a lack of size (5-7, 170 lbs.) with uncanny speed and ability off the ground, Fernandez was a tremendous asset as the Orange's primary longstick on the wings of face-offs. The 2017 Power 100 recruit made an early impact as a rookie after graduating from IMG Academy (Fla.) but suffered a season-ending injury against Virginia — since then, he has played in 21 of 22 games while recording 57 groundballs and 17 caused turnovers. A playmaking Energizer bunny on film, he'll have two years of eligibility remaining and told IL this week that he's down to three schools with a decision expected soon.

Donnelly redshirted with the Orange in 2020, but came in with an ACC-ready build and a strong body of work from his time at IMG Academy (Fla.), leading the Ascenders in points as a senior and postgrad. Rated as IL's No. 36 incoming attackman in the 2019 class, he's a creative dodger who has also shown a knack for producing offense out of the midfield. Depending on where he winds up, Donnelly could be put in a position to have success on a roster that isn't overflowing with proven talent like the one at 'Cuse.

Gotta admit the Fernandez transfer hurts. Worst one since Wisnauskas.

Great wing player but Helmer was better defensively as will be the two soph lsm.

I forgot Donnelly was rated so high, never got chance to see what he could do

Great wing player but Helmer was better defensively as will be the two soph lsm.

I forgot Donnelly was rated so high, never got chance to see what he could do

Ya I liked Donnelly a lot, I think if we hadn't flipped Hiltz he would still be here. However, I can't blame him as the road for PT here looks difficult especially with the top two guys in this class both being high end attackmen. To bad would have liked to see what he could have done.

I assume Tillman believes he can keep everyone happy for one year with Brown and Holden being esentially one year mercenaries and Wisnaukas going into his 5th year seems unlikely he will come back for a sixth season in 2022. So Maryland likely feels there will be a decent amount of turnover. That being said its hard to see how they don't have at least a mini exodus next summer, way to many attackmen and goalies stacked up at this point.

I mean, shame on other coaching staffs for not exploiting the Terms reliance on transfers. I am really surprised that this isn't being used on Tillman in the recruiting process.

I would really like to know how aggressive top flight teams are going after these fifth year players. Obviously every team in the country would love to have Sowers or Morrill, but players like Holden and Brown, while very good players, aren't necessarily a "sure thing". Are other ACC/Big Ten teams going after these kids and getting beat out, or are they more focused on their returning players and incoming recruits?

UVA needs to fill that left handed spot left open by Kraus (but have Shellenberger in the wings), and could use some depth at midfield. Hopkins has holes all over the field. Penn State needs to replace Ament. Notre Dame could probably use a boost at midfield. Loyola could certainly use a third attackman. Anyways, just surprised that Maryland was able to land both Brown and Holden. Maybe the recruiting battles for these players isn't as furious as we think it is?

Without further ado...

Call off the riot everyone! IL wins this round. Save the torches and pitchforks for when there are only 2 or 3 Cuse guys on a new top 100 recruit list!

Brown is a local about thirty minutes away from UM so natural but somewhat surprised with Holden since its a bit of overkill given their offensive depth. Both are excellent players and will add speed, athleticism and versatility. Agree with Jeremy that neither replace Bernhardt by themselves, both had strong first halves agaisnt us but were invisible in second half when games were decided. Still either would strengthen any team including Cuse. If Bernhardt does return then expect both to be first line mids, otherwise one will play at attack and the other mid. Bertrand's stock went up last night, expect him to go sooner than later.
I do agree about Tillman's propensity to bring in transfers especially in recent years. He's certainly had no qualms bringing them despite stacked roster and likely was aggressive recruiting Holden. Wouldbt be shocked if he brings in one or two more. If Im a talent with my pick of several great programs then it would factor into my decision.

Call off the riot everyone! IL wins this round. Save the torches and pitchforks for when there are only 2 or 3 Cuse guys on a new top 100 recruit list!

It does feel weird to be filled with a sense of pride to see a player leaving 'Cuse be ranked number 1 in a list of transfers. But number 1 is number 1!

Fernandez will be missed - I think Carey and Page are talented youngsters, but would feel better if defense brought in a veteran either at LSM, or at close so Kennedy could move up. We shall see. FWIW I think the staff gave Carey some minutes at close last year in one of the blowouts.

Seems like the list of potential defensive transfers are as follows - Kyle Thornton, Nick Hapney and Jack Rapine? Thornton from Penn I beleive said he would go back if Penn allowed, Hapney I don't know much about other than he has good size and his brother is 'Cuse bound. Rapine has a bunch of question marks, he didn't play in '20, left Hopkins for unknown reasons, and also the last Hopkins defense he played on didn't put up the best numbers.

Still, I think given his potential he might be worth a look, as he probably has the best chance of being a number one cover man, given that was his role at Hopkins. Is the defense better with Rapine at close and Kennedy at LSM, or Kennedy at close with Clary/Page at LSM? It probably depends a lot on what level Rapine can play at. Has to be really difficult for a coaching staff to evaluate him at this point, so I'm, not sure what his market is.

It does feel weird to be filled with a sense of pride to see a player leaving 'Cuse be ranked number 1 in a list of transfers. But number 1 is number 1!

Fernandez will be missed - I think Carey and Page are talented youngsters, but would feel better if defense brought in a veteran either at LSM, or at close so Kennedy could move up. We shall see. FWIW I think the staff gave Carey some minutes at close last year in one of the blowouts.

Seems like the list of potential defensive transfers are as follows - Kyle Thornton, Nick Hapney and Jack Rapine? Thornton from Penn I beleive said he would go back if Penn allowed, Hapney I don't know much about other than he has good size and his brother is 'Cuse bound. Rapine has a bunch of question marks, he didn't play in '20, left Hopkins for unknown reasons, and also the last Hopkins defense he played on didn't put up the best numbers.

Still, I think given his potential he might be worth a look, as he probably has the best chance of being a number one cover man, given that was his role at Hopkins. Is the defense better with Rapine at close and Kennedy at LSM, or Kennedy at close with Clary/Page at LSM? It probably depends a lot on what level Rapine can play at. Has to be really difficult for a coaching staff to evaluate him at this point, so I'm, not sure what his market is.

I suspect SU will definitely take a look at Hapney.

I mean, shame on other coaching staffs for not exploiting the Terms reliance on transfers. I am really surprised that this isn't being used on Tillman in the recruiting process.

I would really like to know how aggressive top flight teams are going after these fifth year players. Obviously every team in the country would love to have Sowers or Morrill, but players like Holden and Brown, while very good players, aren't necessarily a "sure thing". Are other ACC/Big Ten teams going after these kids and getting beat out, or are they more focused on their returning players and incoming recruits?

UVA needs to fill that left handed spot left open by Kraus (but have Shellenberger in the wings), and could use some depth at midfield. Hopkins has holes all over the field. Penn State needs to replace Ament. Notre Dame could probably use a boost at midfield. Loyola could certainly use a third attackman. Anyways, just surprised that Maryland was able to land both Brown and Holden. Maybe the recruiting battles for these players isn't as furious as we think it is?

Holden plays in the NEC and it is a big jump up to UMd's level. Perhaps not quite as big for Brown who has been playing in the Patriot league. Both are right-hand shooters, so maybe Tillman went after both, hoping to get one who really can excel.

Shellenberger is a right-hander, so UVa probably moves Cormier to Kraus's lefty spot. UVa's top attack recruits Maher and McIntosh are both lefties also. There was that article that said UVa wasn't giving out extra money for returning 5th year seniors, and apparently Jared Conners is returning - so he counts in the 12.6.

Let's not forget that bringing back 5th year seniors is stockpiling talent somewhat like bringing in transfers. In the end, it is probably better to have a player like Rehfuss return, who has shown he can do it at the top level and knows your system, than picking up a player like Brown or Holden. Of course, having Bernhardt return would be even better.

Well I think the complexities of the current situation have made it so that only a few schools really have the ability to take advantage of the current situation. If like me you go by the reasoning that are really only 3 major Power Lax Conferences (ACC B10 and IVY) and less then a handful of teams that are outliers ie Denver, Loyola and to a lesser extent Albany (Its a stretch to include them to be honest but you get the point), there is a limited number of options for these 5th year guys who want to go to place where they have A. a place to win and B. a chance to make the tourney/win a title.

Now once you dive deeper the options become even less when you consider the following:
The IVY league can't take in any Grad transfers and some of the schools don't take transfers period or if they do they are extremely selective (see Yale and Penn) So the IVY and all of their schools are gone.

From an ACC standpoint Duke shot its load so to speak when they brought in Sowers. There's a huge backlog there at both attack and middie, makes no sense for anyone else to transfer there. UNC is in a similar spot as with Gray and their young attackmen they were already having a bit of a crunch for PT, unless a guy like Sowers or Teat wanted in it didn't make much sense. A middie goign to UNC like Brown might have made sense but again UNC is deep there assuming their Grad guys all come back. UVA as myself and Zack80 have pointed out are dealing with a $$ crunch based on no additional funds being available and Conners already coming back. Now I do think UVA if the $$ was better would have been more active but Tiffany already had to RS the #1 recruit, at some point you gotta play your guys. ND to me is the one that is a bit curious to not be more active, however, keep in mind that they have never been a big transfer destination under Corrigan that I can ever recall. That said I would agree that their lack of involvement or failure to land some of these guys is a bit puzzling.

The B10 is similar to the ACC outside of Maryland obviously. OSU is like SU in that they are bringing back a lot of their own guys and they already picked up a few transfers. JHU is trying to break in a new coach and system and I think most grad guys aren't looking to help a rebuild for one season despite the talent at Homewood. Ditto for Rutty. Penn State to me is like ND, a bit curious they haven't been more active although they apparently did go all in on Sowers. They also desperately need help on defense. I wouldn't be surprised if they grab a few guys later on.

To me the only teams where its a little surprising they haven't been more active in my mind at least are ND, PSU, and to a lesser extent Loyola and Albany. I think Maryland has always been an attractive place for transfers but when you look at the landscape I just don't know how much competition they had for Brown or Holden this year versus what they would have been up against say in 2019 or pretty much any other year. I think that's why you saw Denver clean up with the Yale guys, they had the opportunity, the $$ available, the ability to offer a path to a championship that is legitimate and most importantly the roster room. Again I am not giving a pass to everyone, if your an Albany fan or a ND fan or even a Loyola fan I would be dissapointed that the staff wasn't trying to secure a few of these guys and wasn't looking to take advantage of a glut of quality of players that the big boys don't really have room for (more of a comment on Albany and Loyola vs ND obviously).

As for us, I think it's pretty well documented at this point but Desko is in a tough spot. Clearly SU was active in the Sowers sweepstakes and if Teat became available I think we would be as well but outside of that there aren't a lot of areas where SU has a huge area of need. Midfield is still overflowing with talent and were all set at FOGO, Goalie and SSDM so those are a no go. I have been a proponent of bringing in an LSM or Close Defender but it has to be someone who make sense and is a high end guy. Nothing against all these D2 and D3 guys in the portal but if your SU and going to take a one year flyer its gotta be an elite level guy. The older Hapney becoming available is one to watch, that would make a lot of sense both player and SU.

From an attack standpoint at SU their is some gray area. In my mind the minute Rehfuss announced he was back the chances of SU adding an attackmen plummeted to about 5%. You don't have to be Nostradamus to know that the chances of Desko sitting a 6th year attackmen who has essentially been a starter since his Soph year is slim at best. Scanlan and Rehfuss are automatically slotted in. Now you have Cook who has I have to admit under performed a bit from a scoring standpoint ( I was and remain a huge fan of his) who any transfer would have to beat out plus an incoming Freshmen in Hiltz that has been called the best incoming attackmen at SU since Mike Powell. Oh and by the way the second highest rated recruit in this falls class is also an attackmen. SU just doesn't have the availability of playing time to offer someone like a Holden, Brown, or even a Bertrand/Sundown that we would have pretty much any other year the last half decade. I mean last year Desko basically camped out at Scanlans house, this year you have to basically come to us and note your willing to not be guaranteed PT less a starters job, most transfers aren't willing to do that and I can't blame them. I am no against adding a Bertrand or Sundown, but these guys are used to playing the netire game and being the alpha male on their respective teams, its a culture shock to then have to battle to just get on the field here.

Still I wouldn't mind SU taking in a LSM or D guy, I think there are some in the portal right now that would definitely help. Again Hapney makes a TON of sense. I also wouldn't be against adding an offensive player but I think a traditional transfer who knows he needs a year or two to really see the field is much more likely then a guy like Bertrand.

Does anyone know why Fernandez is leaving? Has it been said already? Seems odd as its not a PT issue. Home sick? Academic pursuit?

Does anyone know why Fernandez is leaving? Has it been said already? Seems odd as its not a PT issue. Home sick? Academic pursuit?

I was curious as well, would love to get some insight into why he's transferring? Honestly this one just doesn't make any sense to me, he's been playing since he's arrived.

I was curious as well, would love to get some insight into why he's transferring? Honestly this one just doesn't make any sense to me, he's been playing since he's arrived.

I'm with you guys as well. On the surface this seemed odd from the start and I haven't seen anything posted that indicates why he's leaving but best of luck to him, I enjoyed watching him play.

Have to factor in our schedule and the attackman that we will face . Sowers, Gray, Moore, Epstein, Nichtern are basically the top #1's in the game , all fast and explosive. Then got Teat the wizard if he returns on schedule somewhere as well as Tehoka, and Charambileds who present another set of attributes.. The original plan last year was for Kennedy to drop to cover the fleet twos that we were to face. That hasn't changed in ACC other than Krauss being replaced by Cormier. With Sowers arriving, facing Gray for first time and Epstein at full health seems likely we'll need "cornerbacks" for most games to best limit as we play m2m and little zone. Do wish Kennedy could return to lsm to max field impact but not sure how , also wouldn't surprise to see Clary occasionally drop to cover some twos similar to that plan last year. There is reason for optimism, the defense was jelling n and DiPietro and Murphy were playing well. We did have the lowest GAA in ACC and one of the lowest in game despite our mediocrity on man down which should improve . Also have some returnees from IR that have talent to surprise and some good defensive recruits such as Kol. As far as considering Rapine, gonna assume that he'd be in great shape and raring to go with new start. He was legit when primed and doubt there is much rust to shake from a short layoff if prepared. Vett. Agree with JC, seems Cuse and some others have few bullets to spare so make sure any potential addition at any position is a definitive upgrade.

Well I think the complexities of the current situation have made it so that only a few schools really have the ability to take advantage of the current situation. If like me you go by the reasoning that are really only 3 major Power Lax Conferences (ACC B10 and IVY) and less then a handful of teams that are outliers ie Denver, Loyola and to a lesser extent Albany (Its a stretch to include them to be honest but you get the point), there is a limited number of options for these 5th year guys who want to go to place where they have A. a place to win and B. a chance to make the tourney/win a title.

Now once you dive deeper the options become even less when you consider the following:
The IVY league can't take in any Grad transfers and some of the schools don't take transfers period or if they do they are extremely selective (see Yale and Penn) So the IVY and all of their schools are gone.

From an ACC standpoint Duke shot its load so to speak when they brought in Sowers. There's a huge backlog there at both attack and middie, makes no sense for anyone else to transfer there. UNC is in a similar spot as with Gray and their young attackmen they were already having a bit of a crunch for PT, unless a guy like Sowers or Teat wanted in it didn't make much sense. A middie goign to UNC like Brown might have made sense but again UNC is deep there assuming their Grad guys all come back. UVA as myself and Zack80 have pointed out are dealing with a $$ crunch based on no additional funds being available and Conners already coming back. Now I do think UVA if the $$ was better would have been more active but Tiffany already had to RS the #1 recruit, at some point you gotta play your guys. ND to me is the one that is a bit curious to not be more active, however, keep in mind that they have never been a big transfer destination under Corrigan that I can ever recall. That said I would agree that their lack of involvement or failure to land some of these guys is a bit puzzling.

The B10 is similar to the ACC outside of Maryland obviously. OSU is like SU in that they are bringing back a lot of their own guys and they already picked up a few transfers. JHU is trying to break in a new coach and system and I think most grad guys aren't looking to help a rebuild for one season despite the talent at Homewood. Ditto for Rutty. Penn State to me is like ND, a bit curious they haven't been more active although they apparently did go all in on Sowers. They also desperately need help on defense. I wouldn't be surprised if they grab a few guys later on.

To me the only teams where its a little surprising they haven't been more active in my mind at least are ND, PSU, and to a lesser extent Loyola and Albany. I think Maryland has always been an attractive place for transfers but when you look at the landscape I just don't know how much competition they had for Brown or Holden this year versus what they would have been up against say in 2019 or pretty much any other year. I think that's why you saw Denver clean up with the Yale guys, they had the opportunity, the $$ available, the ability to offer a path to a championship that is legitimate and most importantly the roster room. Again I am not giving a pass to everyone, if your an Albany fan or a ND fan or even a Loyola fan I would be dissapointed that the staff wasn't trying to secure a few of these guys and wasn't looking to take advantage of a glut of quality of players that the big boys don't really have room for (more of a comment on Albany and Loyola vs ND obviously).

As for us, I think it's pretty well documented at this point but Desko is in a tough spot. Clearly SU was active in the Sowers sweepstakes and if Teat became available I think we would be as well but outside of that there aren't a lot of areas where SU has a huge area of need. Midfield is still overflowing with talent and were all set at FOGO, Goalie and SSDM so those are a no go. I have been a proponent of bringing in an LSM or Close Defender but it has to be someone who make sense and is a high end guy. Nothing against all these D2 and D3 guys in the portal but if your SU and going to take a one year flyer its gotta be an elite level guy. The older Hapney becoming available is one to watch, that would make a lot of sense both player and SU.

From an attack standpoint at SU their is some gray area. In my mind the minute Rehfuss announced he was back the chances of SU adding an attackmen plummeted to about 5%. You don't have to be Nostradamus to know that the chances of Desko sitting a 6th year attackmen who has essentially been a starter since his Soph year is slim at best. Scanlan and Rehfuss are automatically slotted in. Now you have Cook who has I have to admit under performed a bit from a scoring standpoint ( I was and remain a huge fan of his) who any transfer would have to beat out plus an incoming Freshmen in Hiltz that has been called the best incoming attackmen at SU since Mike Powell. Oh and by the way the second highest rated recruit in this falls class is also an attackmen. SU just doesn't have the availability of playing time to offer someone like a Holden, Brown, or even a Bertrand/Sundown that we would have pretty much any other year the last half decade. I mean last year Desko basically camped out at Scanlans house, this year you have to basically come to us and note your willing to not be guaranteed PT less a starters job, most transfers aren't willing to do that and I can't blame them. I am no against adding a Bertrand or Sundown, but these guys are used to playing the netire game and being the alpha male on their respective teams, its a culture shock to then have to battle to just get on the field here.

Still I wouldn't mind SU taking in a LSM or D guy, I think there are some in the portal right now that would definitely help. Again Hapney makes a TON of sense. I also wouldn't be against adding an offensive player but I think a traditional transfer who knows he needs a year or two to really see the field is much more likely then a guy like Bertrand.
I had to hit the like button after spending ten min. reading this thesis. lol, jk jc