2020 Transfer Thread | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

Couldn't agree more, its a conversation that more need to have.
I agree for the most part, but getting your bachelors degree from Duke and all the networking that comes with it is a very strong incentive to stay. Carpenter already has his undergrad degree, so another year of playing is a bonus. A couple will leave but I believe most will stay regardless of playing time. This isn't like football, basketball, baseball, hockey, tennis, golf etc where there is real money in professional leagues. my 2 cents

But this was not an option for Sowers how exactly? Wasn't he talking about doing the exact same thing and was made to understand that it was not possible??

But this was not an option for Sowers how exactly? Wasn't he talking about doing the exact same thing and was made to understand that it was not possible??

Princeton made the decision unilaterally, it wasn't directed by the IVY. I believe Dartmouth and Brown are also allowing guys to come back.

Princeton made the decision unilaterally, it wasn't directed by the IVY. I believe Dartmouth and Brown are also allowing guys to come back.
Wow. Insane that Princeton had the opportunity and still didn't allow it

Isnt Yale doing the same, given that Irelan is allowed to return. Why did Morrill and Cotler transfer out of there?

EDIT: I personally think that the Ivies are opening up a can of worms with this. They should have each voted on what they felt was right. Obviously I think letting kids back is the right decision but with some schools in the conference allowing it and others not its confusing and kind of unfair.

Isnt Yale doing the same, given that Irelan is allowed to return. Why did Morrill and Cotler transfer out of there?

Yale went with the Princeton philosophy, Ierlan is only back due to a technicality because he was transfer and hasn't spent his whole career at Yale.

Better he stay at Cornell vs Hop or someplace else.

Yeah interesting debate - even though Hopkins added a lot this offseason, even with Teat I'm not sure if they would be a title contender. Cornell was really good last year, watching them on offense they could pretty much score at will. Defense was another matter but I would have still been terrified to play them. New, and very young head coach obviously adds question marks but I think Cornell with Teat is better than Hopkins with Teat. I could be very wrong.

Really bizarre it took this long to figure out. Did he graduate from Cornell? I'm guessing not if he needs to take a semester off. Pretty big gamble to drop out if coming back wasn't guaranteed. The whole construct doesn't really make sense to me, spend five years in school for one degree to play lacrosse, or graduate and go anywhere you wanted for a grad degree in your fifth year. I love college lacrosse, but these expenses have to add up. If you drop out mid semester do you get your money back? Was he not paying anything to begin with so who cares?

Can someone tell me how financial aid works with the Ivy League? Do all these athletes get need based scholarships? Do schools that provide athletic scholarships allowed to give out financial aid based on need?

Harvard also followed the Yale/Princeton model of not allowing fifth years back.

If Teat is getting a waiver, but did not graduate from Cornell, but other Cornell seniors did graduate, how can those other players return for a fifth year? With a super waiver? To me this press release sounds like, "Jeff Teat is really good, and we wanted to make a special exception, just for him."

If Teat is getting a waiver, but did not graduate from Cornell, but other Cornell seniors did graduate, how can those other players return for a fifth year? With a super waiver? To me this press release sounds like, "Jeff Teat is really good, and we wanted to make a special exception, just for him."

Its exactly what Princeton should have done. I don't think every Cornell senior will be back.

Cornell applied to the Ivy for the waiver and they granted it to several SRs

Cornell is needs blind so their cost is 1 more semester but it could be a big number or a small one who knows.

Wow. Insane that Princeton had the opportunity and still didn't allow it

Harvard, Yale, and Princeton stand above all others. They would find it gauche to allow a student back for the sake of winning a lacrosse game. Shay must have sold his soul to convince Yale to let Ierlan stay an extra year.

Harvard, Yale, and Princeton stand above all others. They would find it gauche to allow a student back for the sake of winning a lacrosse game. Shay must have sold his soul to convince Yale to let Ierlan stay an extra year.

Irelan has only been there 2 years, he could come back as soon as the NCAA gave him the extra year.

Irelan has only been there 2 years, he could come back as soon as the NCAA gave him the extra year.

It appeared to me that Shay and Irelan became aware of a loophole since the rule stated that players were granted 8 semesters to compete as undergraduate student athletes. TD being a transfer had only completed 4 semesters.

It appeared to me that Shay and Irelan became aware of a loophole since the rule stated that players were granted 8 semesters to compete as undergraduate student athletes. TD being a transfer had only completed 4 semesters.

Thats what I took from it as well.

Yeah interesting debate - even though Hopkins added a lot this offseason, even with Teat I'm not sure if they would be a title contender. Cornell was really good last year, watching them on offense they could pretty much score at will. Defense was another matter but I would have still been terrified to play them. New, and very young head coach obviously adds question marks but I think Cornell with Teat is better than Hopkins with Teat. I could be very wrong.

Really bizarre it took this long to figure out. Did he graduate from Cornell? I'm guessing not if he needs to take a semester off. Pretty big gamble to drop out if coming back wasn't guaranteed. The whole construct doesn't really make sense to me, spend five years in school for one degree to play lacrosse, or graduate and go anywhere you wanted for a grad degree in your fifth year. I love college lacrosse, but these expenses have to add up. If you drop out mid semester do you get your money back? Was he not paying anything to begin with so who cares?

Can someone tell me how financial aid works with the Ivy League? Do all these athletes get need based scholarships? Do schools that provide athletic scholarships allowed to give out financial aid based on need?

Harvard also followed the Yale/Princeton model of not allowing fifth years back.
I believe that the NCAA and college administrations have lost all perspective with this 5th, 6th year transfer policy, with the dubious reliance on athletics for financial support and profit, with the corporate partnerships which have led to the corruption of our educational system. One result of all this corruption is the loss of perspective on the part of athletes to the point that they hang on to college far too long. Get a grip guys. 4 years of undergraduate college is enough. Are you really changing schools for the educational advantages they offer or are you postponing real life?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom