2020 Transfer Thread | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

Masses of young people will congregate at larger universities in about two months. Unless this virus recedes soon, gotta expect health issues to arise despite measures that could lead to a quick return to online studies. Life cant come to a standstill and adaptations be had but also concessions .A gap year is something that I might consider if I were a student though alternatives may also be limited.

I too expect 2021 spring season to happen but wouldn't expect the NCAA to further extend eligibility if it didn't.

Hard to know what the NCAA will do, but coronavirus actually tends to be a disease of the old people.
Down here in Maryland:
For the 10-19 age group there has been one death in 3,268 reported cases
For the 20-29 age group there has been 16 deaths in 9,524 reported cases

That is about 1/600 (deaths per reported cases) for the 20-29 group. Given the probable large number of unreported cases, due to mild symptoms or asymptomatic cases, the true value is perhaps closer to 1/6000 (deaths per true cases). It is also fair to note that some of those 16 who died, might have had other health issues.

So one might want to worry more about the coaches and staffs

Hard to know what the NCAA will do, but coronavirus actually tends to be a disease of the old people.
Down here in Maryland:
For the 10-19 age group there has been one death in 3,268 reported cases
For the 20-29 age group there has been 16 deaths in 9,524 reported cases

That is about 1/600 (deaths per reported cases) for the 20-29 group. Given the probable large number of unreported cases, due to mild symptoms or asymptomatic cases, the true value is perhaps closer to 1/6000 (deaths per true cases). It is also fair to note that some of those 16 who died, might have had other health issues.

So one might want to worry more about the coaches and staffs
I wonder if you might be convinced if you were to witness the death of a strong athletic 25 year old woman, who because of her strength and determination dies a painful, agonizing death 2 weeks after contracting the disease. You will never forget the image. And ratios will mean so much less.

I wonder if you might be convinced if you were to witness the death of a strong athletic 25 year old woman, who because of her strength and determination dies a painful, agonizing death 2 weeks after contracting the disease. You will never forget the image. And ratios will mean so much less.
That's tragic.
Of course, it is also tragic when a young adult is out carousing and ends up running his car into a tree at high speed and dying. Yet we still see a lot of parents letting their kids get their licenses as teenagers.

That's tragic.
Of course, it is also tragic when a young adult is out carousing and ends up running his car into a tree at high speed and dying. Yet we still see a lot of parents letting their kids get their licenses as teenagers.

Enough with this argument. Last time I checked car accidents weren’t contagious. This totally misses the mark and is complete bad taste. We are in the midst of a global pandemic and its time for people to act like it and stop posting things like this on the internet.

Last edited:
I was discussing relative probabilities of dying.

It's not in bad taste, because it is actually something that is facing us head on right at the moment. That is the balance between trying to live our lives more normally versus an increase in coronavirus cases.

That's tragic.
c'mon.

c'mon.
Just a note of thanks to all the thoughtful posters who tolerate my ranting and raving, and to the always steadfast writers who analyze and inform no matter what the cultural circumstances. I feel fortunate to participate in this forum which I consider among the best anywhere on the internet. Anonymous though we are, I feel a bond of friendship, feisty though it may be, with all of you.

Lipka officially gone. Surprised ND had room for him. Shame he left for a conference rival.

Lipka officially gone. Surprised ND had room for him. Shame he left for a conference rival.

Will he be ineligible next year for transferring within the conference or is that out the window with the covid stuff?

If he graduated this spring, he should be eligible immediately in 2021. The 1-year sitting out rule only applies to undergrads I believe. Cuse listed him as a redshirt junior but I'm not sure how far along he was in his academics. Seems like a slightly weird move to make if you have to sit out a year so I'd expect him to play. Tough seeing yet another productive player go to a rival on the schedule.

If he graduated this spring, he should be eligible immediately in 2021. The 1-year sitting out rule only applies to undergrads I believe. Cuse listed him as a redshirt junior but I'm not sure how far along he was in his academics. Seems like a slightly weird move to make if you have to sit out a year so I'd expect him to play. Tough seeing yet another productive player go to a rival on the schedule.
Thanks for the info. Tough to see but understandable given that he is done with undergrad. Different than Fernandez who still had undergrad left and was in a position where we don't have massive depth (along with also going to a rival). Nice to see some current and former players liking the tweet. Makes you think there is no bad blood there. Certainly was not the case when Fernandez announced.

Thanks for the info. Tough to see but understandable given that he is done with undergrad. Different than Fernandez who still had undergrad left and was in a position where we don't have massive depth (along with also going to a rival). Nice to see some current and former players liking the tweet. Makes you think there is no bad blood there. Certainly was not the case when Fernandez announced.

Don't believe there is any bad blood at all as Lipka has I believe flirted with transferring before and has some educational goals he wants to achieve. I believe Lipka is on track to graduate or already has so he can grad transfer or as noted he would need to sit. Lipka's a nice player but at this point he's our 5th or 6th best middie and I think both parties were looking to go in a different direction. Wish him all the best.

Don't believe there is any bad blood at all as Lipka has I believe flirted with transferring before and has some educational goals he wants to achieve. I believe Lipka is on track to graduate or already has so he can grad transfer or as noted he would need to sit. Lipka's a nice player but at this point he's our 5th or 6th best middie and I think both parties were looking to go in a different direction. Wish him all the best.

Agreed. He can definitely ball. The amount of clutch goals he has had for us in the past three years is fairly large. I'd say he is more like our 4th or 5th best middie but that's just nitpicky nonsense. Would not surprise me if he cracks NDs starting line with Costabile gone. I like that it opens the door for Fiorini and Mangan among others to have a shot at the second line.

Lipka 14/10 was a true reflectiion of his solid abilities, erecting him to produce similar at ND . Article hit it right ,used both hands and able to pass n shoot with either. Smart player who knew how to cut into seams ie Trimboli. He anchored second line and had some big plays over the years .His production can be replaced but his experience was valuable given current stage and hopes of team. Still gonna be ok. Buttermore's p/t increases and he has always been highly productive. Quinn could also capitalize on greater opportunity.. Wish Kims hadn't left but Fiorini provides much of the same size, strength and ability and there are others in wait with talent.

Wishing Lipka well other than when ND plays us

Agreed. He can definitely ball. The amount of clutch goals he has had for us in the past three years is fairly large. I'd say he is more like our 4th or 5th best middie but that's just nitpicky nonsense. Would not surprise me if he cracks NDs starting line with Costabile gone. I like that it opens the door for Fiorini and Mangan among others to have a shot at the second line.

Yup definitely a good player that could play on the 1st line at a lot of D1 schools. His major downside is he can disappear at times and isn't a consistent scorer but you can say that about a lot of D1 middies. Like you said hard to say exactly where he fell at SU in terms of pecking order. I would have him behind the main 3 plus our favorite long range bomber Buttermore. With Seebold likely to get some time on the 2nd line along with the Tenaglia ( who by the way I am hearing the staff is really high on) not to mention as you noted Fiorini, Magnan, as well as Rosa and a few others there are still plenty to go around and a lot more on the way next year.

Yup definitely a good player that could play on the 1st line at a lot of D1 schools. His major downside is he can disappear at times and isn't a consistent scorer but you can say that about a lot of D1 middies. Like you said hard to say exactly where he fell at SU in terms of pecking order. I would have him behind the main 3 plus our favorite long range bomber Buttermore. With Seebold likely to get some time on the 2nd line along with the Tenaglia ( who by the way I am hearing the staff is really high on) not to mention as you noted Fiorini, Magnan, as well as Rosa and a few others there are still plenty to go around and a lot more on the way next year.
Great news about Tenaglia!

Duke announces a bunch of fifth years are comings back, including JT Giles-Harris. Follow the thread to see everyone coming back.

Duke announces a bunch of fifth years are comings back, including JT Giles-Harris. Follow the thread to see everyone coming back.

WOW 10 players coming back to Duke plus like 4 transfers (Adler, Sowers, P. Robertson, O'Connell) and a loaded incoming class. Probably going to be the biggest roster Duke has ever seen. No idea how they are going to manage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom