2020 Transfer Thread | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

I dont disagree with you as I think they underperformed the last two years, but they were also god awful at the X which I think crippled them the last two years. I do agee that outside of Kirst I don't see a transfer that moves the needle much but Kirst as you noted for one year will be a huge boost to their midfield. Although I have to admit the poster on their board who compared Kirst to Tua transferring from Alabama and declared him the best middie in the country is out of his mind. Their board did seem to hint that they had a FOGO transfer coming in but at this point I am not aware of a game changer in the portal so I would have to see who they have. Rutty's problem will be the same as they have been the last few years; huge questions marks at the X, question marks at midfield outside of Kirst and a defense that leaves a lot to be desired especially at SSDM and their secondary pole defenders. Their goalie did OK last year replacing the guy who had been there for like 6 years but he is a question mark as well. I think Maryland and PSU are clearly 1-2 but I think Hop has a ways to go. I am not sold at all on that defense even with Fernandez and Sulzuk and their midfield has been putrid the last few years. Although there is some talent there with Degnon and Zinn. Cole Williams is also highly overrated, Hopkins would have been better off if he stayed in the portal.

ND has done a nice job of trying to add some firepower especially with the loss of Costabile. That said almost all of them are 5th year guys, hard to know if that will translate to ND a team that isn't exactly known for their free wheeling style and flow. I think Gallagher was a real nice pick up but its hard to say how Yorke and Lahey will fair in NDs system and a decent jump in competition. ND will be an interesting team to follow next year. Agree on Duke, loaded everywhere. Have to hope they just don't mesh or you catch them on the right day.

Agree on everything here except I guess I'm just higher on JHU than you. Epstein was playing at about 40% full capacity this season, when he's fully healthy that drastically changes the equation for them. He has 1st team AA potential. And they've got this kid Brendan Grimes coming in who is going to be the bane of Cuse fans existences for four years. He is a terrific, terrific player and barring injury I think that combo will be lethal. No doubt they need to clean up the defensive end in a MAJOR way but bringing in a decent goalie along with Jamison Koesterer who's got a very solid track record as an assistant were steps in the right direction. No clue what to think about Szuluk—I don't know really anything about him.

I hope Rutgers finally gets a FOGO. That'd make a big difference for them. I'm rooting for them.

I dont disagree with you as I think they underperformed the last two years, but they were also god awful at the X which I think crippled them the last two years. I do agee that outside of Kirst I don't see a transfer that moves the needle much but Kirst as you noted for one year will be a huge boost to their midfield. Although I have to admit the poster on their board who compared Kirst to Tua transferring from Alabama and declared him the best middie in the country is out of his mind. Their board did seem to hint that they had a FOGO transfer coming in but at this point I am not aware of a game changer in the portal so I would have to see who they have. Rutty's problem will be the same as they have been the last few years; huge questions marks at the X, question marks at midfield outside of Kirst and a defense that leaves a lot to be desired especially at SSDM and their secondary pole defenders. Their goalie did OK last year replacing the guy who had been there for like 6 years but he is a question mark as well. I think Maryland and PSU are clearly 1-2 but I think Hop has a ways to go. I am not sold at all on that defense even with Fernandez and Sulzuk and their midfield has been putrid the last few years. Although there is some talent there with Degnon and Zinn. Cole Williams is also highly overrated, Hopkins would have been better off if he stayed in the portal.

ND has done a nice job of trying to add some firepower especially with the loss of Costabile. That said almost all of them are 5th year guys, hard to know if that will translate to ND a team that isn't exactly known for their free wheeling style and flow. I think Gallagher was a real nice pick up but its hard to say how Yorke and Lahey will fair in NDs system and a decent jump in competition. ND will be an interesting team to follow next year. Agree on Duke, loaded everywhere. Have to hope they just don't mesh or you catch them on the right day.

Rutgers also has David Sprock at the midfield, who had 17 points in 6 games this season, his sophomore year. So they will have two really good midfielders.

I actually have Ohio State ahead of PSU in the Big Ten. OSU returns their big 3 offensive players: LeClaire, Reid and Myers. Griffin Hughes was a bit of a surprise this Spring. The MItchell bros. were getting their feet wet this Spring. Inacio is back at FO's and Terefenko at ssdm. Henrick returns for a 5th year on the defense and they added transfer Eric Wenz from Hofstra.

Hard to know how PSU will do without Ament. 31 assists in 7 games this spring.

Rumor Teat is going to JHU.

I don't believe it. I have been hearing all along that he and one or two of the other Cornell seniors want to stay there for a 5th year if possible. And if not, they intend to leave college and go pro. Teat would immediately play in both the PLL and the NLL.

But if it is true, that gives Hopkins an attack line that rivals Duke's, and instantly puts them back into the top 10. If it happens I think there'd be a strong chance that what tipped the scales was the hiring of John Grant Jr. Getting to learn directly from him for a year would be invaluable for Teat if he intends a long career in the pro field and box games.

3 categories in the portal.

1) Addition that may help or be another name on depth chart- most

2) Upgrade that improves - some

3) Game changer that can significantly boost a team prospects -few

Teat is Category 3

Hope he goes pro ( or comes here )

Agree on everything here except I guess I'm just higher on JHU than you. Epstein was playing at about 40% full capacity this season, when he's fully healthy that drastically changes the equation for them. He has 1st team AA potential. And they've got this kid Brendan Grimes coming in who is going to be the bane of Cuse fans existences for four years. He is a terrific, terrific player and barring injury I think that combo will be lethal. No doubt they need to clean up the defensive end in a MAJOR way but bringing in a decent goalie along with Jamison Koesterer who's got a very solid track record as an assistant were steps in the right direction. No clue what to think about Szuluk—I don't know really anything about him.

I hope Rutgers finally gets a FOGO. That'd make a big difference for them. I'm rooting for them.

Looks like Rutty got the St. Johns Freshmen FOGO who put up pretty good numbers to transfer in as well. However, he is a moto grip guy and as someone on their board pointed out is also a knee down guy so he will need to make a lot of adjustments. Rutty did a nice job of getting some under the radar transfer guys save for Kirst. Should be much improved if that FOGO guy can adjust to the new rules, their Defense leaves something to be desired though.

Looks like Rutty got the St. Johns Freshmen FOGO who put up pretty good numbers to transfer in as well. However, he is a moto grip guy and as someone on their board pointed out is also a knee down guy so he will need to make a lot of adjustments. Rutty did a nice job of getting some under the radar transfer guys save for Kirst. Should be much improved if that FOGO guy can adjust to the new rules, their Defense leaves something to be desired though.
I think almost every face off guy on major teams is a knee down Moto grip guy.

Hearing either Lipka or McCarthy, or possibly both, to Georgetown

Last edited:
Hearing either Lipka or McCarthy, or possibly both, to Georgetown

Bummer if true, though, a) he wouldn’t be going to a rival and b) hopefully this opens up an opportunity for a younger player to shine. I don’t mean to take away from Lipka but I think we’ve seen his peak and I don’t think it’s All American level. Buttermore has that type of talent. Not to say he’s not a really good player, but he is what he is, very solid but not the most athletic and he misses a fair number of good shots.

I think if the second line next year is Buttermore, Quinn and Seebold that’s a pretty solid unit. And Fiorini and Magnan could break though as well, or it could be Hiltz’s best opportunity to see the field. Plenty to work with.

Still think Lipka could end up in DC, but now I'm hearing that it's McCarthy that's on his way to GTown.

If Lipka does move on, it'd make the Tenaglia transfer make a bit more sense. Otherwise, I don't quite get it. Perhaps I'm biased toward the bigger programs but I don't see him coming in and starting on attack. Seems more like a depth option, possibly in the mix for 2nd midfield, especially if Lipka leaves.

Lipka is replaceable but wont overlook fact that he was three year starter despite his inconsistencies. Capable enough to be the one chosen by staff for first line play when Dordevic was out and then the anchor on 2nd line even though Buttermore was more productive offensively . Butter has already shown the goods then several talents ready to shift in . Right stage to absorb Lipka departure but always some comfort in the proven no matter to what degree and some discomfort in the unproven despite the potential upside. . Do think Seebold is ready to blossom somewhere

Mom has been the the head volleyball coach for 21 years and dad has been in the admissions office for 15! Dad was also HC at Denver and assistant and W&L and Cornell. Things maybe only interesting to me...

This was inevitable, you can't have the backlog Duke has at attack and then bring in two more guys and not have some players look to transfer. I expect there to be several more as well.

I've noted before that the Duke on ramp to the transfer portal is going to be awfully congested in the next 1-2 years. They have absolutely crushed it in recruiting - hate to admit it but it's true - and there's no way all of the top-tier and next-tier talent can get on the field. This is the conversation I fear club and high school coaches don't impress upon their players as they move through the recruiting process.

I've noted before that the Duke on ramp to the transfer portal is going to be awfully congested in the next 1-2 years. They have absolutely crushed it in recruiting - hate to admit it but it's true - and there's no way all of the top-tier and next-tier talent can get on the field. This is the conversation I fear club and high school coaches don't impress upon their players as they move through the recruiting process.

Couldn't agree more, its a conversation that more need to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom