2020 Transfer Thread | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

FWIW that leaves Lipka, Strang and Klan I beleive as the last two players SU has in the portal right now.

To recap:
Justin Kim - Rutgers
Andrew Kim - Rutgers
Jared Fernandez - Hopkins
Jake Nelson - LeMoyne
Sean Donnelly - Drexel

So, to recap:

Duke: Sowers, Adler, Robertson, O'Connell [loses Carpenter]
ND: Gallagher, Thornton, Yorke, Lahey
UNC: McCarthy
UVA: Bertrand [possibly losing Dickson]
Cuse: Horan, Tenaglia, Hapney, Wycoff [loses Fernandez, Kims, Connelly, Nelson, possibly Lipka]

Duke and ND clearly the big winners, addressing weaknesses and adding proven, quality pieces. McCarthy is a big get at the midfield for UNC, while they don't lose anyone. And Bertrand helps fill Kraus' vacancy at UVA. Hard not to see how Cuse isn't the biggest loser of the offseason in the ACC. Given how good they were in 2020 I doubt this is a fatal blow but if you thought the Orange were the best team in the conference this year, then the competition has caught up quickly.

So, to recap:

Duke: Sowers, Adler, Robertson, O'Connell [loses Carpenter]
ND: Gallagher, Thornton, Yorke, Lahey
UNC: McCarthy
UVA: Bertrand [possibly losing Dickson]
Cuse: Horan, Tenaglia, Hapney, Wycoff [loses Fernandez, Kims, Connelly, Nelson, possibly Lipka]

Duke and ND clearly the big winners, addressing weaknesses and adding proven, quality pieces. McCarthy is a big get at the midfield for UNC, while they don't lose anyone. And Bertrand helps fill Kraus' vacancy at UVA. Hard not to see how Cuse isn't the biggest loser of the offseason in the ACC. Given how good they were in 2020 I doubt this is a fatal blow but if you thought the Orange were the best team in the conference this year, then the competition has caught up quickly.

ND lost Costabile and UVA lost Kraus and most likely Aiken as well. Not sure how SU is the biggest lover to be honest. Mellen hurts for sure but SU brought in multiple defenders for depth over the next couple of seasons, an AA D3 defender and a guy like Tenaglia who definitely looked the part against upper level comp in his frosh year. Not to mention the fact that SU brought back multiple starters including arguably the best SSDM or top 3 SSDM in the country and Trimboli who was clearly playing at an AA level before the season ended.

Clearly Duke is the winner, Sowers alone does that. They are likely to lose more then Carpenter though by next spring.

ND added some nice pieces but still lost by far there best player and are trying to bring in a quartet of grad transfers two of which haven't seen anything close to an ACC schedule defensively.

Who knows what UVA will look even with Bertrand.

Way to many questions unanswered at this point to make a definitive on winners and lovers.

ND lost Costabile and UVA lost Kraus and most likely Aiken as well. Not sure how SU is the biggest lover to be honest. Mellen hurts for sure but SU brought in multiple defenders for depth over the next couple of seasons, an AA D3 defender and a guy like Tenaglia who definitely looked the part against upper level comp in his frosh year. Not to mention the fact that SU brought back multiple starters including arguably the best SSDM or top 3 SSDM in the country and Trimboli who was clearly playing at an AA level before the season ended.

Clearly Duke is the winner, Sowers alone does that. They are likely to lose more then Carpenter though by next spring.

ND added some nice pieces but still lost by far there best player and are trying to bring in a quartet of grad transfers two of which haven't seen anything close to an ACC schedule defensively.

Way to many questions unanswered at this point to make a definitive on winners and lovers.

We don’t know about UNCs 3 senior starting middies yet right? They looked like the best line in the country besides our first and could be a big X factor in how good they look next year.

Really love our addition of Tenaglia for depth purposes. He theoretically could still have 4 years of eligibility left after having a real nice start to his true freshman season against legit competition. He is a proven scorer at the D1 level. Does anyone think he could be a contributor on the second line mid next season?

The defensive guys were nice to get but Wyckoff specifically was huge to fill the void of losing Fernandez. Horan and Hapney add depth to a close defense that returns all 3 starters, and were very good at times last season. I like our team a lot.

I am slightly worried about faceoffs with the new rule. Phaup really likes to muck it up and wrestle. My understanding is you cannot have a knee on the ground? That would seem to effect his style.

I was just talking about the winners and losers of the transfer market only. It was not a holistic assessment of everything you must take into account before ranking teams ahead of 2021. For instance, any discussion of graduating seniors (Mellen, Costabile, Kraus, etc.) should also factor in incoming recruiting classes. For what it's worth, it looks like Aitken is going back to UVA under that strange rule which allows him to play football at Villanova in the fall but still return to Charlottesville in the spring to play lacrosse. I think that's insane but it is what it is.

Syracuse lost by far the best ACC player in the portal (Fernandez) and while they added some theoretically intriguing names, none are at the level of a Sowers, McCarthy, Bertrand, Gallagher, Yorke, etc. I think you really have to put on the rose-colored glasses to think anything other than that the offseason transfer market has been a net negative for the Cuse relative to their ACC peers.

As of right now (of course that's subject to change), Aitken will play football for Villanova in the fall and return to UVa for lacrosse in the spring. There is a quirk in the NCAA rules that allows this for graduate students who have still have available eligibility.

As of right now (of course that's subject to change), Aitken will play football for Villanova in the fall and return to UVa for lacrosse in the spring. There is a quirk in the NCAA rules that allows this for graduate students who have still have available eligibility.
That's just weird.

That's just weird.
Why, yes. Yes, it is. ;)

Our fans were gobsmacked when they found out he could do this. We knew all last year that he planned to play football for 'Nova when he finished playing for us, but the extra year of lacrosse eligibility coupled with this crazy NCAA rule slightly modified things. The trigger for applying the rule was that he would be returning to his original school to play lacrosse.

I was just talking about the winners and losers of the transfer market only. It was not a holistic assessment of everything you must take into account before ranking teams ahead of 2021. For instance, any discussion of graduating seniors (Mellen, Costabile, Kraus, etc.) should also factor in incoming recruiting classes. For what it's worth, it looks like Aitken is going back to UVA under that strange rule which allows him to play football at Villanova in the fall but still return to Charlottesville in the spring to play lacrosse. I think that's insane but it is what it is.

Syracuse lost by far the best ACC player in the portal (Fernandez) and while they added some theoretically intriguing names, none are at the level of a Sowers, McCarthy, Bertrand, Gallagher, Yorke, etc. I think you really have to put on the rose-colored glasses to think anything other than that the offseason transfer market has been a net negative for the Cuse relative to their ACC peers.

Sorry but I have to disagree. You can't talk about the transfer market and include guys who were granted a 5th year ala Sowers and not mention SU's own 5th year guys who chose to return to school. I am aware that Aiken wants to try this one school in the fall and one in the spring but count me as skeptical until I actually see it, there's a ton of moving parts there not to mention the NCAA itself.

Also I am not discounting the loss of Fernandez at all, he was a real nice player and someone I would have wanted back 100%. That said Fernandez being as you noted "by far" the best ACC player is more about the lack of players from the ACC in the portal then anything else. Fernandez was a co-starter at LSM and a nice player but were not talking about losing an elite level un-replaceable player here.

As I noted clearly Duke was the winner grabbing multiple higher end offensive guys including Sowers clearly the top D1 player. That said UVA and UNC each added 1 player and for UNC the addition doesn't even really mesh with a team need, not sure id place them over SU. Bertrand is a good player but no where close to the level of losing Kraus. ND did a nice job but haven't landed anyone to replace Costabile, although clearly Gallagher is an excellent player. The rest of the ACC made some good moves but you have to look at the overall landscape and what SU brings back as well. Dearth Trimboli Varello returning already makes it a net positive for SU

I am slightly worried about faceoffs with the new rule. Phaup really likes to muck it up and wrestle. My understanding is you cannot have a knee on the ground? That would seem to effect his style.

It will affect everyones style. I looked at a bunch of games from this year on youtube and every single one I saw featured both fogos using the knee down motercycle grip that they are getting rid of. That includes every big 10, acc, ivy team, and every team we played this year. The only exception was teams putting out a long pole after their origional fogo kept losing. Just when I thought they couldn't get any dumber they go and fundamentally change an entire position for absolutely no reason.

But I digress, Phaup will have to change his style, but so will literally everyone else, so it is kind of hard to say who will be affected more or if we will have to actually worry more than other teams. In fact his elite ability on ground balls after the clamp could mean he does better at adapting than some of the competition.

Sorry but I have to disagree. You can't talk about the transfer market and include guys who were granted a 5th year ala Sowers and not mention SU's own 5th year guys who chose to return to school. I am aware that Aiken wants to try this one school in the fall and one in the spring but count me as skeptical until I actually see it, there's a ton of moving parts there not to mention the NCAA itself.

Also I am not discounting the loss of Fernandez at all, he was a real nice player and someone I would have wanted back 100%. That said Fernandez being as you noted "by far" the best ACC player is more about the lack of players from the ACC in the portal then anything else. Fernandez was a co-starter at LSM and a nice player but were not talking about losing an elite level un-replaceable player here.

As I noted clearly Duke was the winner grabbing multiple higher end offensive guys including Sowers clearly the top D1 player. That said UVA and UNC each added 1 player and for UNC the addition doesn't even really mesh with a team need, not sure id place them over SU. Bertrand is a good player but no where close to the level of losing Kraus. ND did a nice job but haven't landed anyone to replace Costabile, although clearly Gallagher is an excellent player. The rest of the ACC made some good moves but you have to look at the overall landscape and what SU brings back as well. Dearth Trimboli Varello returning already makes it a net positive for SU
I hear Gary Gaits wants to come back for his 30 something year graduate exemption gray shirt overweight and out of shape retro tour season as long as he can coach his kids teams on Saturdays. The NCAA is looking into giving him a second year exemption if he will wear a suit and tie while he plays. End this madness.

Agree with everything Jeremey is saying here. Cannot look at the transfer market in a vacuum and label teams winners and losers without taking into context everything else going on with rosters. Hopkins did a better job than SU in the transfer market, which roster would you rather have? I am sure if Syracuse lost more fifth year guys, they would have been much more aggressive in the transfer market and probably could have picked up more of the known quantities.

I don't know if their strategy was the right one in terms of transfers (will the roster be unmanageable with so many players?) but I think they were limited by only being able to take guys who were okay not starting. SU brings back every starter save Fernandez and Mellen, though as mentioned Mellen has been replaced by Murphy who I think has held his own. The new guys can add depth and hopefully challenge guys for minutes. But I don't know how you offer, for instance, Charlie Bertrand a spot when you already have all three starters coming back including a top five incoming recruit. The only critique I might really have for SU is that they didn't bring in a top notch day one starting defensemen to help Kennedy move to LSM. But I don't think that player existed in the transfer portal.

I think Wykoff is most likely to see the most time, where isn't clear yet though. Hapney and Horan could challenge for playing time but wouldn't be surprised if they have to wait a year or two. We've discussed recently that the defense suffered a rash of injuries last year, have to imagine the coaching staff wanted more bodies for insurance. In a recent article they mentioned Tenaglia was willing to play midfield, so I wouldn't be surprised if they try him in that role.

I do think you can look at the transfer market in a vacuum as long as you qualify what you're trying to say, which I did. Same as deciding the winners and losers of free agency in pro sports—doesn't mean the "winner" will necessarily be better than the "loser" overall, but it does suggest they may have closed that gap to some degree. That's all I said. If Cuse was your #1 ACC team last year and ND #5, I think the gap has now narrowed due directly to what transpired in the last few months. ND may not have overtaken them completely if you take every factor into account, including returning seniors, recruits, etc., but they did close that gap. I think that much is pretty irrefutable. In that way, yes, I think the transfer market has been a net negative for Syracuse—but, again, that doesn't mean they can't or won't still be the best team in the conference.

Hopkins did a better job than SU in the transfer market, which roster would you rather have?

This is an interesting question, actually. For 2021, no doubt Syracuse has the better roster. But I tend to like Hop's group of underclassmen better. So if you're asking longterm, 2023 and beyond, I might change my answer.

I do think you can look at the transfer market in a vacuum as long as you qualify what you're trying to say, which I did.

I think you left that realm when you said this though:
"Hard not to see how Cuse isn't the biggest loser of the offseason in the ACC. "

I do think you can look at the transfer market in a vacuum as long as you qualify what you're trying to say, which I did. Same as deciding the winners and losers of free agency in pro sports—doesn't mean the "winner" will necessarily be better than the "loser" overall, but it does suggest they may have closed that gap to some degree. That's all I said. If Cuse was your #1 ACC team last year and ND #5, I think the gap has now narrowed due directly to what transpired in the last few months. ND may not have overtaken them completely if you take every factor into account, including returning seniors, recruits, etc., but they did close that gap. I think that much is pretty irrefutable. In that way, yes, I think the transfer market has been a net negative for Syracuse—but, again, that doesn't mean they can't or won't still be the best team in the conference.

This is an interesting question, actually. For 2021, no doubt Syracuse has the better roster. But I tend to like Hop's group of underclassmen better. So if you're asking longterm, 2023 and beyond, I might change my answer.

Fair point, but I feel like your both looking at the micro and macro level of the transfer market - somehow because other teams did better in the transfer market that is a "net negative" for SU - well in order to come up with a net outcome, you by definition have factor in everything else. I'm probably focused too much on semantics, but I think its important. Syracuse didn't have as much work to do as other teams. Did other teams get better? Certainly. I see your point, I just don't think its fair to only factor in the transfer market, and then say SU is the "loser of the offseason".

Can't disagree with any pts made above by anyone regarding the offseason so far. Different realms that were qualified.

Agree with Laxobserver that other ACC teams on the surface added more prominent and impactful talents (transfers) from the portal and they improved their standing relative to Cuse who had previous edge in overall talent.

Also agree with JC that influx from outside was offset to a degree by us returning many integral 5th yr players and that our additions were geared to where departures happened .

Cuse to their credit prioritized return of their own and those returns lessened our needs to pursue some top talents . Grateful that our players wanted to return and that our staff made that happen. My feel is team is neither for the better or worse but some other teams are in either direction .

Fairer to say that they were clear winners in the ' transfer game " . Duke was clearly behind us last year and now has to be considered in front of us once they "acquired" Sowers. Maryland is another who has likely surpassed with their numerous additions especially if Bernhardt returns. Some others have improved via transfers while others notably some Ivies have been hurt.

Cuse wont be number one when 2021 (hopefully) kicks off My guess is we'll be 5ish just about where we were as 2020 kicked off . Cuse has enough top tier talent to reach FF weekend but so do several others . It is a shame that 2020 season had to be aborted, I do feel that Cuse was taking off and it was going to be a very good year because of where we stood to the field before all this player movement occurred.

My initial wish was to see our players return then to see us pursue a top ten talent in free agency despite the griminess with the one year rentals . Prefer the purer route but rather frustrating when prime talents start making some powers suddenly stronger.

Some top transfers were certainly enticing but believe Sowers and perhaps Morrill were really the only ones that would have made a huge difference to our offense without much altering much of our approach. Only one ball and integrating others at attack may not have been all that seamless. Something to be said for continuity and on field group chemistry

ACC firepower been supplemented over the past two years and offenses are more loaded. Cuse still lacks a pure attacker from X that many opponents have that can breakdown defenses or that physical mule that requires doubles , unit now considered 4th or 5th best n ACC because of that deficiency. Cuse attack still has a top distributor in Refhuss , a top finisher in Scanlan and a overall contributor in Cook and newcomer Hiltz may be capable of a impacting immediately. The attack unit does complement mids and vice versa and overall grouping can be potent.

1st line mids remain intact and they will continue to stir the drink in 2021. Having a strong 4th mid is not a luxury but a important player that will see good p/t . Gonna assume Lipka is gone , he headed second line despite average production. Do wish his entry into portal was done earlier as there were versatile a/m available at time that were clear upgrades that staff may have pursued. Having said that , Buttermore and others will slid up and that second unit can be more productive as long as they move ball. Wish Kims hadn't departed but understandable. Seebold needs to played somewhere.

D at a minimum needed greater numbers with three starters departing. Had some initial reservations but all three brought in are competent additions or more who offer depth , flexibility and options . Fernandez didnt want to be here so farewell. Wont dismiss losing a wing specialist with a motor who vacuums and can be a pest up top but team size and overall d should otherwise improve as Fernandez would have been a liability in certain matchups. Several good options there though preference Kennedy impacting both ends but doubtful he shifts back. D should be fine however it's constructed because it has quantity of quality and supported by ssdm rotation that is also good and deep. Dieball size and speed could enter into pic there.

Do wonder how new fogo rule will impact Phaup and Varello. Fast hands, fast feet t needed . Aviles is a good ss on wings and Cuse can always revert back to double poling if needed. Younger fogos never mentioned but perhaps one emerges to lengthen rotation. High school is obviously lower level but some clips showed scores off wins reminiscent of LaSalla/ Savio.

Strang and Klan likely gone, good talents with high character that would be missed but understandable with Porter returning . Thompson . Shahe , McPeak are very good backups so little concern.

JHU is rebuilding towards being a top ten team but Cuse should be the better team in 2021. Might get blasted for saying this but think the sport is better off when a historical team such as Hopkins is a contender

Turbulent times . A return to normalcy and decency would be most welcomed. Hoping fall ball happens but some recent reports have me wondering if that will be the case.

{snip}
The UVa staff checked the NCAA rulebook and supposedly found one that specifically allows what Aitken wants to do. The key part of the rule is that he has lacrosse eligibility left (courtesy of the extra year ruling) and is going to use it at his undergrad school. For example, he couldn't play football for 'Nova in the fall and then switch to JHU for lacrosse in the spring.

Virus is a killer, a stone cold murderer that renders even medical personnel helpless. You go outside without a mask, you should be ashamed. Ask yourself, would you want your son or daughter to play lacrosse next spring, let alone this coming fall. The young are not immune, only immortal. Parents, please take charge here, and convince your dynamite young people to give up the sport they love for the next season, because it could kill them. No, it is not an individual decision. We are our brothers keepers. You can appeal to a young person's fellow feeling. If not to protect him or herself, protect their friends and families. I don't have a lot of seasons left to love, but I will gladly give up one to save a life.

Now to the real a..... in this narrative, the NCAA and college administrations. Do the right thing here. Sports teams are vectors for the virus, e.g. Clemson football. Shut down sports for the next school year. Take the onerous decisions out of the hands of individuals. Recognize that this country is horrendously managed and will never be able to mitigate this disease. Become a voice of sanity, of reason, and of courage. Get credit for saving thousands of lives. Stand up to the philistines who will scream like the idiots they are.

Last edited:
Virus is a killer, a stone cold murderer that renders even medical personnel helpless. You go outside without a mask, you should be ashamed. Ask yourself, would you want your son or daughter to play lacrosse next spring, let alone this coming fall. The young are not immune, only immortal. Parents, please take charge here, and convince your dynamite young people to give up the sport they love for the next season, because it could kill them. No, it is not an individual decision. We are our brothers keepers. You can appeal to a young person's fellow feeling. If not to protect him or herself, protect their friends and families. I don't have a lot of seasons left to love, but I will gladly give up one to save a life.

Now to the real a... in this narrative, the NCAA and college administrations. Do the right thing here. Sports teams are vectors for the virus, e.g. Clemson football. Shut down sports for the next school year. Take the onerous decisions out of the hands of individuals. Recognize that this country is horrendously managed and will never be able to mitigate this disease. Become a voice of sanity, of reason, and of courage. Get credit for saving thousands of lives. Stand up to the philistines who will scream like the idiots they are.
Geez Shok. So much conflicting data out there. Headline numbers are worrisome then subset data alleviates some. Bothersome that warmer weather aint squashing but severity seems to be falling. Not sure what fall brings for any school reopening lest sports

Geez Shok. So much conflicting data out there. Headline numbers are worrisome then subset data alleviates some. Bothersome that warmer weather aint squashing but severity seems to be falling. Not sure what fall brings for any school reopening lest sports
problem with subsets is selectivity to undergird an argument. State and local boundaries do not matter. Watch the more general data. It's all bad. Question carefully those who tell you Klutz county has only three cases, but the county next door has 500, so why should Klutz county worry. Virus laughs at such nonsense.

Now to the real a... in this narrative, the NCAA and college administrations. Do the right thing here. Sports teams are vectors for the virus, e.g. Clemson football. Shut down sports for the next school year. Take the onerous decisions out of the hands of individuals. Recognize that this country is horrendously managed and will never be able to mitigate this disease. Become a voice of sanity, of reason, and of courage. Get credit for saving thousands of lives. Stand up to the philistines who will scream like the idiots they are.

You are 100% correct . Without a vaccine or treatment , there won’t be competitive sports . They tried it in Texas and it’s a mess now. I’m hopeful for Spring, but pretty confident Fall Ball is out and am going to guess all Fall sports will follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom