2020 Transfer Thread | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

Yes, sorry I wasn't trying to imply that Bertrand was not good, just that Cormier is very good and also has freshmen year eligibility, so I think most coaches would take him if they had to choose. Anyways, we never really get the gritty details of this stuff so we are left to speculate. Could be unrelated to which position he wanted to play and he just wants to be somewhere else. Seems like others on the internet think its related to that though.
Just as the recruiting cycle dies down, free agency picks up again it seems.

Side note, nice to see that no Syracuse players entered the portal!
Oh yeah I didn't think you were. Cormier is also insanely good and could easily be just as good if not better than Bertrand, and yes that's with at least three years of eligibility left instead of one. He has already proven himself at the highest level. UVA probably questioning the costs of bringing Bertrand on at this point, even if he is not the only reason for Cormier leaving. Something about entering the portal now makes me think he is almost guaranteed to actually leave and has something lined up already.

My fear is that he has plans to play for a certain big lefty Canadian at a certain Maryland school, but there's no evidence of that as of yet.

The Canadian connection makes sense but if he has his heart set on playing attack then that certain Maryland school already has a big lefty in Brendan Grimes for the next four years (not to mention Williams this year and then Collison in a couple years)...thus he'd be leaving one crowded lefty attack situation just to enter another one. Arguably even more crowded.

I agree with the notion that he's actually going to transfer unlike Dickson. Mid-year transfer portal entries usually aren't the "just going to explore to see what's out there" type. Probably means he's genuinely looking to leave...but again I'm still speculating.

Both Cormier and Donville hail from Oakville ,Ontario which is only a 3 1/2 hr drive to Syracuse. Just saying.

Would be great to land Cormier (or Donville for the that matter), but, as we've gone over a number of times, would it make sense to bring in another Canadian lefty if you have Hiltz (not the mention Rhefuss back for another year). Even if one plays midfield, and the other attack, I think as "wingers" they would overlap quite a bit. Others are better at this so I might be completely wrong. I imagine the coaches would try to make it work, and I think what the offense is missing is still a big physical dodger, but, I would be surprised if it happened - but Cormier might want more of a sure thing if indeed the reason he's leaving is due to where he'll play. And I think Cormier would still have to sit a year to transfer within conference.

Not sure who the leading contenders for his talents would be - most of the top teams that aren't in the ACC have pretty high profile lefty attackmen - Ohio State - Leclaire, Penn State - O'Keefe, Denver - Walker, Maryland - Wisaukus, Loyola - Olmstead, Hopkins - Williams and Grimes. Think with all the eligibility mystery in the Ivy League you rule them out. I keep thinking Georgetown might make sense as they had a strong start to the year and I don't beleive they have a sure thing at lefty attack. Should be interesting to watch unfold.

Would be great to land Cormier (or Donville for the that matter), but, as we've gone over a number of times, would it make sense to bring in another Canadian lefty if you have Hiltz (not the mention Rhefuss back for another year). Even if one plays midfield, and the other attack, I think as "wingers" they would overlap quite a bit. Others are better at this so I might be completely wrong. I imagine the coaches would try to make it work, and I think what the offense is missing is still a big physical dodger, but, I would be surprised if it happened - but Cormier might want more of a sure thing if indeed the reason he's leaving is due to where he'll play. And I think Cormier would still have to sit a year to transfer within conference.

Not sure who the leading contenders for his talents would be - most of the top teams that aren't in the ACC have pretty high profile lefty attackmen - Ohio State - Leclaire, Penn State - O'Keefe, Denver - Walker, Maryland - Wisaukus, Loyola - Olmstead, Hopkins - Williams and Grimes. Think with all the eligibility mystery in the Ivy League you rule them out. I keep thinking Georgetown might make sense as they had a strong start to the year and I don't beleive they have a sure thing at lefty attack. Should be interesting to watch unfold.
He'd lose a year of eligibility for an intra-conference non-graduate transfer. While the NCAA's transfer rules are changing, especially for football and basketball transfers, the ACC's rule apparently is not. They've had ample opportunity to say that they're getting rid of the intra-conference transfer rule, but there hasn't been word one from Greensboro, so it's safe to assume that hasn't changed.

He'd lose a year of eligibility for an intra-conference non-graduate transfer. While the NCAA's transfer rules are changing, especially for football and basketball transfers, the ACC's rule apparently is not. They've had ample opportunity to say that they're getting rid of the intra-conference transfer rule, but there hasn't been word one from Greensboro, so it's safe to assume that hasn't changed.
Hypothetical question, could a ACC coach bless and waive and would that supersede conference rule that is likely on its way out in the near future?

Hypothetical question, could a ACC coach bless and waive and would that supersede conference rule that is likely on its way out in the near future?

I believe the answer to that is no. As Hoos pointed out this is an ACC rule across the board for all sports. Only exception is if someone is a grad transfer, then the player doesn't have to sit a year.

I'm not sure whether he can or can't waive a conference rule. There's nothing to indicate that the conference's intra-conference transfer rule is about to go. They want to discourage those transfers as much as possible and I don't think there's anything in the NCAA rule change that would prevent the ACC from continuing to deter them. I'm willing to bet the ACC wishes they would ban intra-conference graduate transfers if they could.

Both Cormier and Donville hail from Oakville ,Ontario which is only a 3 1/2 hr drive to Syracuse. Just saying.
I remember Donville as a very good player, so I'm not sure why he is not just as important as Cormier. Not sure of my estimate here. Please clarity.

I remember Donville as a very good player, so I'm not sure why he is not just as important as Cormier. Not sure of my estimate here. Please clarity.

Because Donville has announced a transfer for next season once his eligibility runs out. Not sure many teams have funding and roster spots worked out for 2022 yet.

I'm no expert, but I watch a lot of college lacrosse, and remember Donville as being pretty good against Syracuse. His Cornell bio says he was a second team Inside Lacrosse/Maverik Media All-American as a junior in the shortened 2020 season, and was second on the team in goals (13).

But if he came to Syracuse, would he start over Trimboli (Inside Lacrosse First Team All-American in 2020; 17 goals), Curry (Inside Lacrosse First Team All-American in 2020; 14 goals) or Dordevic (Inside Lacrosse/Maverik Honorable Mention All-American in 2020 while coming back from an injury; 10 goals)?

EDIT: If Donville transfers for 2022, Trimboli will be gone, having (hopefully) used his additional year of eligibility in 2021, so there could be room for him at SU.

I'm no expert, but I watch a lot of college lacrosse, and remember Donville as being pretty good against Syracuse. His Cornell bio says he was a second team Inside Lacrosse/Maverik Media All-American as a junior in the shortened 2020 season, and was second on the team in goals (13).

But if he came to Syracuse, would he start over Trimboli (Inside Lacrosse First Team All-American in 2020; 17 goals), Curry (Inside Lacrosse First Team All-American in 2020; 14 goals) or Dordevic (Inside Lacrosse/Maverik Honorable Mention All-American in 2020 while coming back from an injury; 10 goals)?

EDIT: If Donville transfers for 2022, Trimboli will be gone, having (hopefully) used his additional year of eligibility in 2021, so there could be room for him at SU.

I would start Donville over Dordevic. He's more consistent and a better shooter. I would not start him over Trimboli, and I think it's close with Curry. Depends on the offense you want to run. Donville is more of a finisher than a downhill dodger.

Georgetown also has a lefty Canadian attackman in Dylan Watson. He had 23 goals in 6 games in 2020, tying Carraway for the most on the team. And he's only a sophomore. So I'm not sure if that's a much more appealing destination from a lacrosse standpoint than any of those others.

Denver might be interesting—Walker only has one year left, and Canadians have done very well there over a long period of time.

I wouldn't totally rule out a place like Vermont either. He has close friends on that team and it's closer to home. Not a "premier" destination for a player with his talent but who knows what kinds of things he's prioritizing.

Wherever he goes, it's fun watching the UVA boards freak out about it. They seem very confused why a kid who was getting playing time would want to transfer. It's not exactly a secret that Lars can be a tough dude to play for.

I would start Donville over Dordevic. He's more consistent and a better shooter. I would not start him over Trimboli, and I think it's close with Curry. Depends on the offense you want to run. Donville is more of a finisher than a downhill dodger.
All three are far far better off the dodge than Donville. Curry and Trimboli at least would not be going anywhere since they are both better off the dodge and while being more inconsistent shooters in their early years have really become lethal with both hands recently. I haven't seen a boatload of Donville, but I get the sense they have more range than him as well.

I would only put him over Dordevic if we were looking to move him down to attack or something to get a different type of middie in the starting three, but I think Dordevics dodging ability is so insane that he is still the far more valuable player than Donville, despite the inconsistent shooting which could still improve.

This is all very hypothetical since I don't think he would ever come here, but it would be nice to see one of our starting three mids show a little more skill as a feeder. They could learn a thing or two from Scanlan who is excellent at finding skip passes after drawing the eyes of the defense and had 15 assists as a middie in his rookie season. I thought Dordevic actually had flashes of that when we used him on invert plays but the M.O. of the starting three still seems to be beat your man and rip it even if the angle isn't all that great.

I can't imagine sitting Dordevic for anyone let alone Donville. Dordevic is more athletic than either Curry or Trimboli, not to take anything from those two, but Donville is a scorer from anywhere. Use him as a relief for any of the first six. Great discussion.

Donville and Curry have both played 2.5 seasons: Donville has 89 pts on 40% shooting. Curry has 67 pts on 26% shooting. There is no doubt Curry is more dynamic as a dodger but I would argue it's a lot closer than you'd think. Of course it's not apples to apples since they play in two very different offenses, which is why I qualified it by saying it depends what kind of system you want to run. That said, if you have a chance at a player like Donville I think you tailor the system to fit his strengths.

Before I start going way overboard, I think the chances of Donville to Syracuse in 2022 are pretty slim. That school in Maryland might also be a potential destination...they could use the midfield help and obviously there is a connection with his previous head coach.

I can't imagine sitting Dordevic for anyone let alone Donville. Dordevic is more athletic than either Curry or Trimboli, not to take anything from those two, but Donville is a scorer from anywhere. Use him as a relief for any of the first six. Great discussion.

Donville is a nice player but Dordevic once he shook the rust off showed why he was a pre-season AA despite missing an entire year. He absolutely abused Hobart and Hopkins had no answer either. I can't see a scenario where I'd take Donville or Dordevic, honestly.

Discuss comparative strengths but all 4 mids including Donville are outstanding first line mids

Donville as Jeremy cited went into transfer portal for 2022 not 21, certainly be a top talent for Cuse to pursue to replace Trimboli opening if others on roster haven't risen by then

Donville and Curry have both played 2.5 seasons: Donville has 89 pts on 40% shooting. Curry has 67 pts on 26% shooting. There is no doubt Curry is more dynamic as a dodger but I would argue it's a lot closer than you'd think. Of course it's not apples to apples since they play in two very different offenses, which is why I qualified it by saying it depends what kind of system you want to run. That said, if you have a chance at a player like Donville I think you tailor the system to fit his strengths.

Before I start going way overboard, I think the chances of Donville to Syracuse in 2022 are pretty slim. That school in Maryland might also be a potential destination...they could use the midfield help and obviously there is a connection with his previous head coach.
good points. agree

Donville would definitely be a nice addition. He can put goals in from just about anywhere.

I don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here.

Questions have arisen on The Sabre about where Dox Aitken is currently enrolled and where he will play this spring. One poster there says he is shown on the Villanova football roster (they're supposed to play this spring) and is enrolled in the MBA program there and is not currently enrolled in any degree program at UVa. However, he is still shown on the 2020-21 UVa lacrosse roster posted on VirginiaSports.com.

I don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here.

Questions have arisen on The Sabre about where Dox Aitken is currently enrolled and where he will play this spring. One poster there says he is shown on the Villanova football roster (they're supposed to play this spring) and is enrolled in the MBA program there and is not currently enrolled in any degree program at UVa. However, he is still shown on the 2020-21 UVa lacrosse roster posted on VirginiaSports.com.
Better check Duke’s roster just to be safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom