2021-22 Transfer Thread | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2021-22 Transfer Thread

In Paul Carcaterra’s mind maybe

I admit they are inconsistent, but when Curry and Dordevic are on the mid line is definitely a top 5 line. Quinn drawing a shorty should help the line next year and hopefully we can get more consistency as Curry can disappear for stretches and Dordevic was up and down last year.

Connell is a stud, but it just won't work with Hiltz playing the wing on that side. Cuse would likely have to ask Connell to run out of the box and/or play exclusively on the crease. Who knows, maybe that will appeal to him.

I've been saying this for awhile but I would like to see Dordevic play "attack." You can still use him up top and on the high wing where he's most dangerous (similar to how Maryland used Connor Kelly) but you also don't have to ever take him off the field. So an attackman in terms of playing time but still a midfielder in dodging style. I don't like when teams take their biggest threats off the field. Offenses are increasingly becoming positionless and March/Gait need to figure out how to keep players like Dordevic as involved as humanly possible.

Have thought a lot about this and I am moving more to side of Dordevic at attack. The move would basically mean that we see Buttermore join the first line midfield, as opposed to someone like Griffin Cook see time at attack. There are questions surrounding Buttermore's health (it sounds like he will miss most of fall ball), so trying to implement this plan just might be too much. But a starting lineup of Dordevic, Seebold and Hiltz at attack, and Curry, Buttermore and Quinn at midfield sounds pretty impressive to me.

There are a lot of variable going on, if a younger attackman emerges say, or if Buttermore, who struggled in '20 and '21 just can't regain his 2019 form, the plan doesn't work as well. But, the main reason that the 2020 offense looked so good was the fact that teams were trying to guard the midfield with one long stick. In '21, defenses wised up and the midfield was mostly double poled. From there the team became way too obsessed with trying to beat the short stick match ups, which left Scanlan exposed as a dodger.

In '22 you have to imagine that both Dordevic and Curry are going to be poled - why not get the benefit of Dordevic on the field full time if that is going to happen anyway? I am probably reading too much into an intrer-squad scrimmage, but six goals in really impressive. I think Dordevic, when he is playing well, is the best player on offense, and making him sit every other offensive shift just doesn't make sense, especially if you're not getting the advantage of a short stick matchup.

His stats are pretty impressive (shot 40% last year and in '20) and has three years of eligibility left. His size is no joke at 6'5. As a lefty I don't know how he would fit in with the rest of the attack. I've said this a bunch before but Rhefuss and Hiltz worked well together because Rhefuss was able to play at X. With Connell you'd probably have to hope that Hiltz could play there, I am not sure that is best use of his skills. But I am sure March could figure it out.

The timing is weird, right as fall ball gets under way. Either way, without knowing much else, it's a nice option to have out there if no one else distinguishes themselves at that third attack spot next to Hiltz and Seebold.

While I think he could help this year, having 3 year of eligibility makes this seem unlikely from an SU standpoint for a few reasons.

1. SU can't have much $$ left for schollie purposes. I assume they have some but if finances are any sort of a concern I don't think this will work.

2. With Spallina and Leo coming in plus the recent Denver flip who looks like a potential attack starter as well (he can play mid to) I am not sure SU wants to further crowd the attack room especially with Spallina clearly slotted to start from Day with 1 and the attack spot already pretty bloated number wise

3. Maybe most important if he's looking for immediate PT, I am not sure SU is the place. I could see him starting here this year but if you go with Hiltz and Seebold already locked in as starters there's one spot left and SU may want more of a QB type in that 3rd spot.

Good player but I am not sure it would be a good fit unless he was a grad transfer guy.

Have thought a lot about this and I am moving more to side of Dordevic at attack. The move would basically mean that we see Buttermore join the first line midfield, as opposed to someone like Griffin Cook see time at attack. There are questions surrounding Buttermore's health (it sounds like he will miss most of fall ball), so trying to implement this plan just might be too much. But a starting lineup of Dordevic, Seebold and Hiltz at attack, and Curry, Buttermore and Quinn at midfield sounds pretty impressive to me.

There are a lot of variable going on, if a younger attackman emerges say, or if Buttermore, who struggled in '20 and '21 just can't regain his 2019 form, the plan doesn't work as well. But, the main reason that the 2020 offense looked so good was the fact that teams were trying to guard the midfield with one long stick. In '21, defenses wised up and the midfield was mostly double poled. From there the team became way too obsessed with trying to beat the short stick match ups, which left Scanlan exposed as a dodger.

In '22 you have to imagine that both Dordevic and Curry are going to be poled - why not get the benefit of Dordevic on the field full time if that is going to happen anyway? I am probably reading too much into an intrer-squad scrimmage, but six goals in really impressive. I think Dordevic, when he is playing well, is the best player on offense, and making him sit every other offensive shift just doesn't make sense, especially if you're not getting the advantage of a short stick matchup.

Good points but keep in mind Dordevic has to be managed based on his injury history. I am not sure SU wants him out there 100% of the time running around on that foot. Dordevic while having the ability to invert, prefers to play up top. If one were to be moved, I think Curry makes more sense but again in my mind your solving one issue but opening up another at midfield. I would also note that not all teams have the ability to double pole successfully and with Scanlan gone you would think all 3 attackers would at least be adequate dodgers which would make it a lot harder to double poll this year versus years past. That third attack spot will be critical, I am very interested to see who who rises to the top and the staff goes with. I would be surprised if Cook factors in, he's not a midfielder and has struggled considerably when given extended time at attack. I was shocked he didn't transfer.

It's to bad Spallina wasn't coming in this year, would have been something to see him play with Dordevic and Curry at midfield and he would slip seamlessly into that third attack spot. Maybe we can convince him to enroll in January, lol.

Connell is a stud, but it just won't work with Hiltz playing the wing on that side. Cuse would likely have to ask Connell to run out of the box and/or play exclusively on the crease. Who knows, maybe that will appeal to him.

I've been saying this for awhile but I would like to see Dordevic play "attack." You can still use him up top and on the high wing where he's most dangerous (similar to how Maryland used Connor Kelly) but you also don't have to ever take him off the field. So an attackman in terms of playing time but still a midfielder in dodging style. I don't like when teams take their biggest threats off the field. Offenses are increasingly becoming positionless and March/Gait need to figure out how to keep players like Dordevic as involved as humanly possible.
Correct, expect your wish to be granted nm

Correct, expect your wish to be granted nm

Interested to see how this works out, personally I think it's a mistake and says a lot about the depth at the attack spot but if Gait and March think its the best option I certainly will take their word for it.

Good points but keep in mind Dordevic has to be managed based on his injury history. I am not sure SU wants him out there 100% of the time running around on that foot. Dordevic while having the ability to invert, prefers to play up top. If one were to be moved, I think Curry makes more sense but again in my mind your solving one issue but opening up another at midfield. I would also note that not all teams have the ability to double pole successfully and with Scanlan gone you would think all 3 attackers would at least be adequate dodgers which would make it a lot harder to double poll this year versus years past. That third attack spot will be critical, I am very interested to see who who rises to the top and the staff goes with. I would be surprised if Cook factors in, he's not a midfielder and has struggled considerably when given extended time at attack. I was shocked he didn't transfer.

Good stuff Jeremey. In regards to the injury stuff, I was thinking that having Dordevic play attack would actually help, since he wouldn't be running up and down the field trying to play defense. But it's not like he's not moving on attack either.

Overall I guess I just trust Buttermore, more, right now to produce points since he's done it before, over say Cook, or Mikey Berkman. Plus, I have to imagine that Buttermore would really not like to be a second line midfielder as a fifth year.

Long term, having, moving Dordevic down to attack and Buttermore up to the first line would mean you would have to replace five of the six offensive starters on offense in '22. It's great to have that kind of seniority on your team (and a big reason why I think Syracuse is being really undervalued right now), but pretty daunting to have to replace all those players in 2022, even with an exciting recruiting class coming in.

Good stuff Jeremey. In regards to the injury stuff, I was thinking that having Dordevic play attack would actually help, since he wouldn't be running up and down the field trying to play defense. But it's not like he's not moving on attack either.

Overall I guess I just trust Buttermore, more, right now to produce points since he's done it before, over say Cook, or Mikey Berkman. Plus, I have to imagine that Buttermore would really not like to be a second line midfielder as a fifth year.

Long term, having, moving Dordevic down to attack and Buttermore up to the first line would mean you would have to replace five of the six offensive starters on offense in '22. It's great to have that kind of seniority on your team (and a big reason why I think Syracuse is being really undervalued right now), but pretty daunting to have to replace all those players in 2022, even with an exciting recruiting class coming in.

Good post, I dont disagree but keep in mind with Buttermore his injury will keep him out the entire fall and from what I have heard there is no guarantee he will be ready by January. The midfield beyond the 1st line is a complete question mark even with him back. Know there is some young talent and we get a few guys back from injury who I think will be in play for the 1st and 2nd mid lines but that's gonna be a heavy lift if the schedule is as daunting as has been rumored. Fall ball should help clarify some of this and if SU is to move Doredevic they really need some young guys to break out at midfield or have some of those 2018 class guys finally step up.

Good post, I dont disagree but keep in mind with Buttermore his injury will keep him out the entire fall and from what I have heard there is no guarantee he will be ready by January. The midfield beyond the 1st line is a complete question mark even with him back. Know there is some young talent and we get a few guys back from injury who I think will be in play for the 1st and 2nd mid lines but that's gonna be a heavy lift if the schedule is as daunting as has been rumored. Fall ball should help clarify some of this and if SU is to move Doredevic they really need some young guys to break out at midfield or have some of those 2018 class guys finally step up.
Even if Dordy or Curry moved to attack and Buttermore wasn't able to play for some time due to his injury we cant forget about about Brett Tenaglia-- transfer from HPU who impressed in the shortened season as a freshman. He could easily slide into Dordevic/Curry/Buttermore's spot and hold his own. Birtwistle is also another candidate. I would like to see him get some run this upcoming season; whether thats on the first or second midfield line, I don't care.

Even if Dordy or Curry moved to attack and Buttermore wasn't able to play for some time due to his injury we cant forget about about Brett Tenaglia-- transfer from HPU who impressed in the shortened season as a freshman. He could easily slide into Dordevic/Curry/Buttermore's spot and hold his own. Birtwistle is also another candidate. I would like to see him get some run this upcoming season; whether thats on the first or second midfield line, I don't care.

Couldn't agree more, definitely need some youngsters on the second line to step up this season, regardless of where Dordevic and Curry are playing. Tenaglia went to Furman, not High Point. He and Birtwistle are the leading contenders for me in terms of "breakout" potential, but I think both are natural attackmen. Can they make the transition to midfield? No sure thing. Magnan and Fiorini are still on the roster, would be great to see one of those two emerge.

Reading about the scrimmage, didn't see a lot of new names mentioned in the scoring column - the usual suspects seemed to do most of the scoring (Dordevic, Hiltz, Seebold). Understand it's just one scrimmage, but I will overanalyze a ground ball drill.

Couldn't agree more, definitely need some youngsters on the second line to step up this season, regardless of where Dordevic and Curry are playing. Tenaglia went to Furman, not High Point. He and Birtwistle are the leading contenders for me in terms of "breakout" potential, but I think both are natural attackmen. Can they make the transition to midfield? No sure thing. Magnan and Fiorini are still on the roster, would be great to see one of those two emerge.

Reading about the scrimmage, didn't see a lot of new names mentioned in the scoring column - the usual suspects seemed to do most of the scoring (Dordevic, Hiltz, Seebold). Understand it's just one scrimmage, but I will overanalyze a ground ball drill.
Fiorini and Magnan both played. Fiorini actually looked pretty darn intimidating as a dodger downhill. He can get a lot of speed going if he has the room for it. Magnan (if he is still wearing #8) looked pretty meh but again just one little scrimmage. I dont think Tenaglia played but if he did I did not hear his name. Again some guy with #45 had a couple nice ones. Funny that we dont know who that is as #45 is usually given to a Hill academy vet that is under our radar. Most impressive middie dodger was probably Corsi based on his foot speed alone. If he can get that shot going he should see some time. Rosa also had a really nice rip in transition. Not sure we can afford to take him off SSDM next year but if we can that would be a nice option.

Whoops, you're correct PF, Tenaglia transferred from Furman. I always get the two confused because of the school colors LOL
Unknown.jpeg
I sure hope that Tenaglia/Birtwistle can make the transition to midfield this year because after this year, I don't see them beating out Spallina or Thomson as soon as they step onto campus. Especially since Tenaglia is a lefty, he isn't going to be replacing Hiltz. But also, he is too talented and dangerous to be standing on the sideline so I hope Gait/March can figure out how to use him.

not a clue if he'd use it, but dordevic has 2 years of eligibility.

Fiorini and Magnan both played. Fiorini actually looked pretty darn intimidating as a dodger downhill. He can get a lot of speed going if he has the room for it. Magnan (if he is still wearing #8) looked pretty meh but again just one little scrimmage. I dont think Tenaglia played but if he did I did not hear his name. Again some guy with #45 had a couple nice ones. Funny that we dont know who that is as #45 is usually given to a Hill academy vet that is under our radar. Most impressive middie dodger was probably Corsi based on his foot speed alone. If he can get that shot going he should see some time. Rosa also had a really nice rip in transition. Not sure we can afford to take him off SSDM next year but if we can that would be a nice option.
My guess is #45 is Blake Borges-- had the same number at Yorktown and Brunswick and is a lethal shooter.

My guess is #45 is Blake Borges-- had the same number at Yorktown and Brunswick and is a lethal shooter.
That's what I was thinking but he was actually number 21 in the game. When 45 scored people were saying something like "Tom" or "Dom." No idea who that would be

That's what I was thinking but he was actually number 21 in the game. When 45 scored people were saying something like "Tom" or "Dom." No idea who that would be
Hmm, that's strange. One of the articles I read somewhere said something like they are still having walk-on tryouts-- so thats why the roster hasn't been updated... maybe its a walk-on?

Maybe "Cordes" as in Tyler Cordes? The Army Prep transfer?

According to his Instagram, Nick Papa, a redshirt freshman from FM and IMG is number 45. He was number 39 last year.

Seems like a really good fit for Syracuse. He was very impressive against the Orange last year.

Same Toronto>St. Michael’s Prep>Edge (Club) lineage as our recent ‘22 flip Finlay Thomson & the 2 even played together for Mimico in Jr. A box this past Summer. McConvey led the team in points & Thomson was 3rd with UVA’s Cormier 2nd. FWIW, our own Liam Ferris also appeared in 9 games.

McConvey is grad transferring for the ‘23 season & we’re going to have a ton of midfield PT available. Big kid with a cannon of a shot.

Last edited:
Same Toronto>St. Michael’s Prep>Edge (Club) lineage as our recent ‘22 flip Finlay Thomson & the 2 even played together for Mimico in Jr. A box this past Summer. McConvey led the team in points & Thomson was 3rd with UVA’s Cormier 2nd. FWIW, our own Liam Ferris also appeared in 9 games.

McConvey is grad transferring for the ‘23 season & we’re going to have a ton of midfield PT available. Big kid with a cannon of a shot.
He was also recruited and possibly coached by March when he was at Vermont. I would say 'Cuse chances are good for a kid like this. Only snag is the reason kids of McConveys talent go to places like Vermont in the first place is they are given near full scholarships.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom