2021-22 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

2021-22 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ...

No Wells is a real person. 22years old. Drafted in the 1st round of the 2020 draft (#28 overall). Number 6 prospect in the Yankee organization. Probably needs more seasoning. Expect to see him in 2027 when he’s 27 years old. The 24 year old Rortvedt with his 89 ml at bats is definitely the more seasoned of the 2 so let’s hang our hat on him when he gets off the DL in June.
I'm in.

And in honor of Cali I'm already complaining that he isn't on the ballot, and in honor of Igor I predict he'll win 4 of the next 7 silver slugger awards and 3 of the next 6 golden gloves at Catcher.

Unlike other skills, pitch-framing in the minor leagues translates to the majors.
Unlike other skills, pitch-framing in the MLB is the most over rated bs stat out there. It's the one stat that baseball nerds use to justify subpar performance on things like hitting and fielding your position as a catcher. .

Unlike other skills, pitch-framing in the MLB is the most over rated bs stat out there. It's the one stat that baseball nerds use to justify subpar performance on things like hitting and fielding your position as a catcher. .
Too bad he got hurt so early on. I was looking forward to seeing what he had to offer. Biggest thing in his favor from my perspective was he had worked previously with the new Yankees catching coach so maybe he saw something and recommended him.

That is complete nonsense. Every organization values pitch-framing more than any other defensive catching skill. The nerds do not get paid to justify subpar performance.

That is complete nonsense. Every organization values pitch-framing more than any other defensive catching skill. The nerds do not get paid to justify subpar performance.
Maybe not much longer.

And so it begins ...

Honestly, this is why I rarely get involved in the hot stove threads except to just read through them. Like I just did with the last 8 pages of this one, in which I discovered the Urshela & Sanchez deal from last week, haha. (Nothing moves hockey out of the lead story every day here). There are so many variables and contingencies, differing opinions, etc, all of which seem valid for about two posts until someone else shoots 'em apart. It's bewildering. So I wait for Opening Day and cheer for whoever's wearing the pinstripes. :)

But I'll miss Gio :(

Last edited:
Gary Sanchez was supposedly an excellent pitch framer and had a cannon for an arm. He has issues with blocking pitches and calling a game.

Of the 24 catchers who caught at least 700 innings last year, Sanchez was 19th in pitch framing according to fangraphs.
Like I said, supposedly. I’m not very high on publicly available defensive stats because they swing wildly.
Sanchez's pitch-framing went into the tank last season. He improved his blocking but his framing got worse. According to Baseball Prospectus, Sanchez went from plus-7.4 runs framing in 2017 to plus-3.3 runs in 2018 to minus-5.1 runs in 2019.

Sanchez was not the worst pitch framer in baseball from 2015-20. That would be Salvador Perez according to Baseball Savant - and he won 5 gold gloves.

Defensive metrics mostly stink.

Like I said, supposedly. I’m not very high on publicly available defensive stats because they swing wildly.

Sanchez was not the worst pitch framer in baseball from 2015-20. That would be Salvador Perez according to Baseball Savant - and he won 5 gold gloves.

Defensive metrics mostly stink.
Pitch framing is a little different from other metrics. You’re simply looking at how often pitches in particular zones get called strikes and comparing. Guys catch hundreds of innings each season so the sample sizes grow fast. It’s probably the most reliable of any defensive metrics.

Last edited:
just realized the Yankees DO NOT play on not only my birthday, but both Memorial Day and the 4th of July.

thats the Holy Trinity of regular season baseball playing days.

what the hell is going on here??...

I had never even heard his name before. But I like him already. :)
Cabrera was Double A player of the year. But you never hear about this kid because Volpe gets all the attention.

Pitch framing is a little different from other metrics. You’re simply looking at how often pitches in particular zones get called strikes and comparing. Guys catch hundreds of innings each season so the sample sizes grow fast. It’s probably the most reliable of any defensive metrics.

"He doesn't block low pitches well, doesn't consistently throw out runners, calls a game poorly, and strikes out repeatedly. But man, can he frame pitches."

Said nobody ever.

No crap to you Donnie, you're okay by me, but I don't think it's a worthwhile stat to argue. At the end of the day, it's can he hit, can he run, can he throw, can he deliver. I just don't think framing pitches matters much in evaluating catchers. Just IMHO.

"He doesn't block low pitches well, doesn't consistently throw out runners, calls a game poorly, and strikes out repeatedly. But man, can he frame pitches."

Said nobody ever.

No crap to you Donnie, you're okay by me, but I don't think it's a worthwhile stat to argue. At the end of the day, it's can he hit, can he run, can he throw, can he deliver. I just don't think framing pitches matters much in evaluating catchers. Just IMHO.
If a pitch on the corner has a 75% of being called a strike when José Molina is catching and only a 50% of being called a strike when Jorge Posada is catching, the difference in potential impact on the results of a game is dramatic. The skill of making sure strikes are called strikes and that balls are occasionally called strikes has much more value than throwing out the occasional runner and blocking a pitch in the dirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom