2021 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

He's not a hall of famer.
when a guy has 103 more wins than losses, 256 in total, a 3.85 era and a starter on 8 World Series teams, 3 of which won and he went 19-11 overall in the post season...him not being in is going to look pretty stupid.

and remember, he took HGH in the offseason to recover from an injury and the only reason he had to admit it is because the failed mitchell report witch-hunt snared clemens drug dealer.

something that was happening in every dugout and more rampant with all the guys who go south for the winter.

when a guy has 103 more wins than losses, 256 in total, a 3.85 era and a starter on 8 World Series teams, 3 of which won and he went 19-11 overall in the post season...him not being in is going to look pretty stupid.

and remember, he took HGH in the offseason to recover from an injury and the only reason he had to admit it is because the failed mitchell report witch-hunt snared clemens drug dealer.

something that was happening in every dugout and more rampant with all the guys who go south for the winter.
He only made 3 all star appearances, he was never the best pitcher of his time. While he had some great postseason starts he also had some clunkers. His post season era is 3.81 I believe. He was helped by being on a dynasty, very good pitcher not hof.

Cone was always a better pitcher than Pettite IMO and should have the better case.

Feel like we had that discussion before...probably last year in this same thread.

Pettitte is a Yankees fan guy.
He was very good but he never dominated.
He didn’t have the stuff Mussina had in his prime.
Yankee Stadium helped Pettitte being left handed and the short porch not being used against him while left is huge.

Pettitte is like a Jon Lester very good pitcher. Not a HOFer and but stud in the playoffs.

He only made 3 all star appearances, he was never the best pitcher of his time. While he had some great postseason starts he also had some clunkers. His post season era is 3.81 I believe. He was helped by being on a dynasty, very good pitcher not hof.
all star appearances are useless, for most of his career it was based on 1 per team and if he wasnt lined up, they wouldnt select that P.

Kershaw wants to talk to you about post season clunkers.

thats a good era.

the HOF as we all knew it, is long gone.

whatever was left of it, was blown up by baines.

if Pettitte doesnt get in by the BBWA, the Vets will put him in.

pretty soon, 200 wins will be the new 300, which already may be at 250.

all star appearances are useless, for most of his career it was based on 1 per team and if he wasnt lined up, they wouldnt select that P.

't
thats a good era.

Kershaw was the best pitcher of his generation, his era is under 2.50. The BBWA won't vote for Pettite, the Vets might like they did for Baines.

thats a good era.

Joe Torre always stacked the ASG with Yankees. You know that.
That is part of the reason they changed how ASG lineups were chosen.
After Torre chose Tom Gordon and Javier Vazquez in 2004 baseball finally started helping the managers pick the reserves with voting.

Andy Pettitte isn’t a HOFer. He just wasn’t good enough. Wins don’t matter nowadays.

WHIP, K/9, ERA+ are used to evaluate pitchers nowadays.

Pettitte needs a Jack Morris induction from the Veterans committee to get in.

He's not a hall of famer.
I admit I'm a little biased. Objectively speaking, he is borderline. He was not top tier or dominant. No Cy Youngs, and only a few All Star games. On the other hand, he never had a below average year. Not a single losing season or negative WAR. Plus he had one of the best pick off moves of all time.

Due to longevity , postseason success, and personality - I'd be willing to wager he eventually gets in the HOF. The HOF tends to reward longevity and consistency

I admit I'm a little biased. Objectively speaking, he is borderline. He was not top tier or dominant. No Cy Youngs, and only a few All Star games. On the other hand, he never had a below average year. Not a single losing season or negative WAR. Plus he had one of the best pick off moves of all time.

Due to longevity , postseason success, and personality - I'd be willing to wager he eventually gets in the HOF. The HOF tends to reward longevity and consistency
Plus in the future the "automatic qualifications" for pitchers will be less. No more 300 game winners nor 300 K's in a season. Plus very few 20 game winners. So there will be a few head scratches getting in at some point in time.

One thing for Pettitte was just being consistently pretty good.. if that gets you in then ok.. I like it if a pitcher at least for part of his career was a must watch guy, he was never that. he was more hey he thru 6 and allowed 3 again type.

hes certainly no slam-dunk.

but i really cant see how he is kept out.

people keep saying oh the Yankees, the Yankees...bullshit.

they were nothing without that staff.

him and Cone were on everyone of them...with a host of characters...and Cone missed basically all of 96 and absolutely sucked in 2000.

theres a reason why hes in the 'Core 4'...5 with Bernie.

its just vogue to hate the Yankees for awards, i get it.

like how Nomo and Ichiro are rookies...but all of a sudden Matsui is not.

There’s tons of guys in the HOF that were “just” consistently good for a long period of time.

I would wager the vast majority of those guys don’t, also, have 5 rings or the post-season performances to go along with it.

If there weren’t a slew of guys already in the HOF just based on consistency I could see the argument for keeping him out. But alas, there are, so I think Andy is in pretty easily.

There’s tons of guys in the HOF that were “just” consistently good for a long period of time.

I would wager the vast majority of those guys don’t, also, have 5 rings or the post-season performances to go along with it.

If there weren’t a slew of guys already in the HOF just based on consistency I could see the argument for keeping him out. But alas, there are, so I think Andy is in pretty easily.
and how many have they won since his prime ended?

and if he came in as a hired gun in 2009 after winning 2 with the redsux, we totally wouldnt be having this conversation.

An average Andy Pettite season was 17-10 with a 3.85 ERA that isn’t HOF worthy when the guy never won a Cy Young and only got Cy Young votes 5 of 18 seasons.

Cy Young votes for top 5 pitchers in the league. He only got votes 1/3 of his career that isn’t Hall of Fame pitching. If he had a Cy Young or more than years with Cy Young votes.
Hall of Fame is for the best of the best not very good. Unless you get 3000 hits or 300 wins. You need hardware(Cy Young or MVP) seasons if not.

Andy Pettitte was Jon Lester of the 90’s and 00’s.
Average Pettitte season 17-10 3.85

Jon Lester
Average Lester season 15-9 3.60 ERA

Lester has 3 WS titles. The rings aren’t enough.
Lester is going to go over 200 wins next year. He will get close to 250 with how long he pitches.

CC Sabathia is a HOFer.
Not Pettitte.

Pettitte is a Hall of Very Good guy. Baseball is the only one that usually keeps the standard as high as it should be. Once you start letting in a pitcher that never won a Cy Young and only finished in the top 3 of the voting once then you are blowing the doors open.

him and Cone were on everyone of them...with a host of characters...and Cone missed basically all of 96 and absolutely sucked in 2000.

No one said o the Yankees when it comes to Jeter or Rivera because they were lock hall of famers. Just because he's a core 4 guy doesn't mean he's a hof. He is just a really good pitcher that falls short.

Cone was old in 2000. He not only had the Yankee run, but a Mets run as one of the best in the league, a hired gun championship in Toronto, plus a Cy Young. I’d vote for him. Maybe Pettite is a better Yankee ring of honor guy or whatever though.

Spreading the Love
Bonds, Clemens and ARod lied, denied, cheated and would have gotten in had they not taken PEDs. But they did knowingly flout the system. Accountability of known cheaters is important. I say (expletive deleted) these shrunken-testicled liars. I am not interested in how they exist relative to other cheaters either. No slippery slope. Just them.
Why do we honor and glorify their achievements when a hefty percentage of them are ill-gotten and they admit to nothing (at least Bonds and Clemens don’t admit to wrong doing). I know it’s only a stupid make believe HOF, but let’s start somewhere in purging the sports universe of charlatans. I say start here.
Not to be too angry, but I’m not interested in a discussion on this either. There is no other side. I’ve heard it all before. They cheated. Didn’t admit it or do penance and should be barred. Yeah and I know a lot of guys are in who we’re awful racists like Ty Cobb. That was then. This is now. Screw them and their PED enhanced stats.

Last edited:
An average Andy Pettite season was 17-10 with a 3.85 ERA that isn’t HOF worthy when the guy never won a Cy Young and only got Cy Young votes 5 of 18 seasons.

Cy Young votes for top 5 pitchers in the league. He only got votes 1/3 of his career that isn’t Hall of Fame pitching. If he had a Cy Young or more than years with Cy Young votes.
Hall of Fame is for the best of the best not very good. Unless you get 3000 hits or 300 wins. You need hardware(Cy Young or MVP) seasons if not.

Andy Pettitte was Jon Lester of the 90’s and 00’s.
Average Pettitte season 17-10 3.85

Jon Lester
Average Lester season 15-9 3.60 ERA

Lester has 3 WS titles. The rings aren’t enough.
Lester is going to go over 200 wins next year. He will get close to 250 with how long he pitches.

CC Sabathia is a HOFer.
Not Pettitte.
fair argument.

thank you for making the case for Eli in the HOF.

The cognitive dissonance of the voters who won’t vote Bonds/Clemens but will soon be voting for Ortiz is going to be wild.

The cognitive dissonance of the voters who won’t vote Bonds/Clemens but will soon be voting for Ortiz is going to be wild.
The BBWAA is the most arrogant self absorbed media organization in sports.
They vote by agenda.
Curt Schilling is a MAGA idiot but that should have no effect on his HOF candidacy. He has a better resume than Mike Mussina. Mussina is a classy good guy so the writers didn’t make him wait longer than he deserved.
Schilling isn’t in because the writers don’t like his politics.
Dan Shaughnessy one of the biggest frauds in media admits he is bias against Schilling.

That type of bitterness is used against Bonds and Clemens.
Bonds didn’t play the media game with the pompous self absorbed BBWAA so they are getting their revenge in the HOF process using PEDs to keep him out.

Ortiz shouldn’t get in if Bonds doesn’t and I love Ortiz. However Ortiz gives the media quotes and pays their expense to come to his charity golf tournament in the Dominican Republic.
Baseball HOF writers suck.

Now the veterans committee put Harold freaking Baines into the HOF do they aren’t much better but atleast they played the game.

The BBWAA is the most arrogant self absorbed media organization in sports.
They vote by agenda.
Curt Schilling is a MAGA idiot but that should have no effect on his HOF candidacy. He has a better resume than Mike Mussina. Mussina is a classy good guy so the writers didn’t make him wait longer than he deserved.
Schilling isn’t in because the writers don’t like his politics.
Dan Shaughnessy one of the biggest frauds in media admits he is bias against Schilling.

That type of bitterness is used against Bonds and Clemens.
Bonds didn’t play the media game with the pompous self absorbed BBWAA so they are getting their revenge in the HOF process using PEDs to keep him out.

Ortiz shouldn’t get in if Bonds doesn’t and I love Ortiz. However Ortiz gives the media quotes and pays their expense to come to his charity golf tournament in the Dominican Republic.
Baseball HOF writers suck.

Now the veterans committee put Harold freaking Baines into the HOF do they aren’t much better but atleast they played the game.
Hate Ortiz the Red Sock but love Ortiz the person. Seems like a genuinely great guy.

Bonds, Clemens, and Ortiz belong in the Hall. They defined their era, PED’s be damned.

Not even considering Manny? Guy was one of the best hitters I’ve ever seen.

Manny would be #4, but the threshold for a steroid user to get in is very high for me and he misses it.

If you were an all-time great (arguably top 20 player of all time) like Bonds, Clemens, ARod in an era that was steroid heavy I am willing to make the exception. Some may argue it's a hypocritical stance.

Manny was great, but he is not in the upper crust of greatness like the other 3.

Hate Ortiz the Red Sock but love Ortiz the person. Seems like a genuinely great guy.

Bonds, Clemens, and Ortiz belong in the Hall. They defined their era, PED’s be damned.
I had a dream last night that I was hanging out with Ortiz lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom