2021 Bracketology | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Bracketology

This is a dream scenario for Syracuse. Georgetown is good but beatable. If they win they get a team they know they can dominate faceoffs against. Of the possible paths to a Final Four this had to be one of the easiest for them. They could have had to fly to Denver to play Denver and their FOGOs at home and then gotten Duke in the second round. Or Lehigh with Sisselberger and then UNC round two. This is near best case scenario.

Shocked to see this. Rutgers above Syracuse? What in the world.

I legitimately think that the people on this forum spend more time actually watching lacrosse than the people making the dang bracket.

I know it has to be weird to you guys that a Hopkins fan has been the one trying to state your case all year (weird for me too!!). I am truly sorry that ‘Cuse got done wrong — in some ways — by this committee. I think ‘Cuse has a pretty realistic path to the final four if they show up for the Georgetown game. Way more than any apparent last team in should have.

Thanks for the recap. My daughter called and I missed the show.

The facts are:

B1G got two in, Rutgers was seeded so we won't have a chance to play them later, the choke is on. (OK, the last part is a comment, but it is nearly a fact.)
Loyola got in over Army
SU was in the mix with Loyola and Army for the final two slots. That does not sound right, but who cares, SU is in.
Georgetown has really had as impressive a season as it shows on paper.
Rutgers has no win over winning teams.
5 ACC Teams in the tourney.

Rutgers draw Lehigh and does not respect them. This could be funny if Lehigh wins. Their fans seem to know nothing, especially that Rutgers may have beat up the B1G teams not named Maryland, but that does not mean nobody else plays Lacrosse. I would be happy if Lehigh dominates from beginning to end.

I legitimately think that the people on this forum spend more time actually watching lacrosse than the people making the dang bracket.

I know it has to be weird to you guys that a Hopkins fan has been the one trying to state your case all year (weird for me too!!). I am truly sorry that ‘Cuse got done wrong — in some ways — by this committee. I think ‘Cuse has a pretty realistic path to the final four if they show up for the Georgetown game. Way more than any apparent last team in should have.

I know for a fact the people on here and for the most part at fanlax know more. The lack of general knowledge by the general public is astounding. I'm in a Facebook group for D1 lax discussion and some guy is shocked RU and SU got in and said that if RU got in Michigan should have gotten a look before SU. 3-9 Michigan, fn dolt.

Thanks for the recap. My daughter called and I missed the show.

The facts are:

B1G got two in, Rutgers was seeded so we won't have a chance to play them later, the choke is on. (OK, the last part is a comment, but it is nearly a fact.)
Loyola got in over Army
SU was in the mix with Loyola and Army for the final two slots. That does not sound right, but who cares, SU is in.
Georgetown has really had as impressive a season as it shows on paper.
Rutgers has no win over winning teams.
5 ACC Teams in the tourney.

Rutgers draw Lehigh and does not respect them. This could be funny if Lehigh wins. Their fans seem to know nothing, especially that Rutgers may have beat up the B1G teams not named Maryland, but that does not mean nobody else plays Lacrosse. I would be happy if Lehigh dominates from beginning to end.

Rutty was not seeded, Lehigh is 7

I like how the Rutgers board thinks as long as they win 30% of the face offs then they're walking away with a win.

Now to see which defense shows up against GTown. I think the offense will get it done as long as it's the quick passing schemes and not the 1 on 1 middie dodging that seems to kill the flow. Who knows, maybe the coaches have a trick or two up their sleeves they were saving for the big dance.

Thoughts on any first round upsets?
There is a lot I could say about the Rutgers board, but the fact that Lehigh recently got rocked by Villanova (16-8) despite winning all but 5 face offs is a pretty serious red flag. That’s like having our recent face off performance against uva but still managing to lose by 8, to Villanova no less. I was kind of hoping we would get Lehigh after seeing that. They have an extremely easy schedule and beating Loyola early in the season and army by 1 are both not scary to me.

There is a lot I could say about the Rutgers board, but the fact that Lehigh recently got rocked by Villanova (16-8) despite winning all but 5 face offs is a pretty serious red flag. That’s like having our recent face off performance against uva but still managing to lose by 8, to Villanova no less. I was kind of hoping we would get Lehigh after seeing that. They have an extremely easy schedule and beating Loyola early in the season and army by 1 are both not scary to me.

Agreed 100%, Sisselburger is a huge problem but beyond him and Schilling, not a ton of scary offensive weapons for Lehigh. I thought SU matched up with them real well assuming we weren't utterly dominates at the X. Ruttys problem is he night win 80% right against them. I think Ruttys offense is clearly better then Lehigh but the question is will they ever have the ball?

Phaup is gonna come out strong. Have faith. Offense is gonna need to to pick it’s corners and McElroy is the real deal. Should try to get him to cuse for a grad year next year.

Agreed 100%, Sisselburger is a huge problem but beyond him and Schilling, not a ton of scary offensive weapons for Lehigh. I thought SU matched up with them real well assuming we weren't utterly dominates at the X. Ruttys problem is he night win 80% right against them. I think Ruttys offense is clearly better then Lehigh but the question is will they ever have the ball?
Their board fans believe the X is not a factor because they will dominate all other facets of the game.

Your closing question runs deeper than their fans can fathom.

Think they watched PSU/Yale in the 2019 semifinals or not?

G’Town have been strong all year, not deep but their starters are great and shouldn’t be underestimated. I’d look at it like this - they have beaten Denver twice this year! How do you think we would have done against Tierney's army? Carraway is a top 5 attackman in my opinion.

Was the last time we played the Hoyas in the playoffs Mikey Powell vs Brodie Merrill?

I tell yer there are some upset alert games in this bracket, some great unknown teams that have stayed in their own room and there house mates don’t know who they are!

Looking forward to these games! Everyone loves Mayhem and it may be the best time for Cuse to activate themselves, I’ve noticed a lot of times that the eventual champion faces some sort of adversity during the season.

It is quite annoying that this line is still casually thrown around by Carc and co. We have struggled too much this year to be considered “the best” anywhere. Granted I still think we have a top 5 starting midfield and maybe even top 3, but it’s not 5 games into 2020 anymore. Lines like this just bring the haters to the watering hole, and we know they never miss an opportunity.

Preseason narratives. They pick the storylines for the year ahead of time and stick to them all season no matter what actually happens. The ESPN crew has been doing it for years. Not just with the Cuse midfield, though that has been one of the most egregious ones. I remember when Eamon used to talk about Sergio Perkovic like he was the second coming of Jesus even when he was REALLY struggling with his shooting. It's indisputable that UNC's middie line of Perry-Cook-Anderson has been better than Dordevic-Curry-Trimboli. The Orange will see another very good one this weekend against Georgetown in Bundy-McDermott-Hess.

Preseason narratives. They pick the storylines for the year ahead of time and stick to them all season no matter what actually happens. The ESPN crew has been doing it for years. Not just with the Cuse midfield, though that has been one of the most egregiouones. I remember when Eamon used to talk about Sergio Perkovic like he was the second coming of Jesus even when he was REALLY struggling with his shooting. It's indisputable that UNC's middie line of Perry-Cook-Anderson has been better than Dordevic-Curry-Trimboli. The Orange will see another very good one this weekend against Georgetown in Bundy-McDermott-Hess.
Said from the start of season that Gtown was very good and a top ten team.

They are very similar to ND they really dont have a weak unit . Known for D, it is is a good group helped by McElroy who is best goalie in game, recall his acrobatics in 6th grade club throwing bullets upfield off saves . The good Porter has to show up for 4q. Carraway is top tier attackman and Haley is a top distributor with 47 assists .. Gtown 1st mid line has totaled 65 goals and 28 assists which exceeds production of our first line albeit in two more games Reilly is a very good fogo who has bested Ierlan. Their comp has been questioned but Villanova and Denver are no slouches. Im expecting Gtown to be favored by 2.5 or so and that would be a legit line. This is not the ideal matchup, preferred to face Loyola, Lehigh, Rutgers . Cuse will have to play well for 4q to win.

Tired of hearing about loss to Army. just 7 days of practice off no fall ball and suspensions. Off ball, big/liitle and transition d were in total disarray. do believe we'd beat Army today.

Still feel for Army because they split with Loyola yet Loyola somehow gets more credit for their win and benefit of doubt for missing Lehigh for covid but suddenly fine by Sunday afternoon. Loss to Navy must have mattered a great deal.

Why Rutgers over anybody?

Yeah the quote from the Chairman about how they didn't have any wins over a winning team but based on other coaches opinions who said well we think they're pretty good. I mean I do think Rutgers is a pretty good team that probably got screwed by not getting to play outside of their conference but that's the B10's fault and shouldn't just be forgotten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom