2021 MLB Season | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

2021 MLB Season

Their doing a really crappy job of that. Young people find baseball boring.
Baseball does have some things going for it regarding young people.

1. It does not require constant attention. There are plenty of opportunities to look at one's phone without missing anything.

2. It is easy to follow on an app.

3. One can gamble on it everyday between April and October.

4. Walk-up music.

Also, for young nerds, baseball provides better data than any other sport.

Baseball does have some things going for it regarding young people.

1. It does not require constant attention. There are plenty of opportunities to look at one's phone without missing anything.

2. It is easy to follow on an app.

3. One can gamble on it everyday between April and October.

4. Walk-up music.

Also, for young nerds, baseball provides better data than any other sport.
Young people aren't the ones with the money to gamble. Baseball games are too long. That's still a huge problem.

Young people aren't the ones with the money to gamble. Baseball games are too long. That's still a huge problem.
I will just never understand this point of view. I hear this all the time, but honestly, it seems kind of stupid. (not you brian, just this logic)

Avg MLB game in 2020 - 3 hours and 7 minutes
Avg NFL game in 2020 - 3 hours and 12 minutes

Do we give the NFL a pass because their games only occur weekly? Because I don't. I think the stoppages are far worse in the NFL - WAYYY too many commercials.

I will just never understand this point of view. I hear this all the time, but honestly, it seems kind of stupid. (not you brian, just this logic)

Do we give the NFL a pass because their games only occur weekly? Because I don't. I think the stoppages are far worse in the NFL - WAYYY too many commercials.
Yeah, people who criticize baseball for a lack of action cannot be football fans.

I don't know that. And they haven't done anything yet. Quite frankly, if they do, it's just another stupid move made by this commish. Shifting has been around a long time. Let's make sure that the outfielders can't shift as well. Everyone must play straight away. How stupid. You know what really hurts offense. Fast pitches. Lets make a rule that no pitch can be over 95 mph. You will see a lot more action at that point. I also see that Theo is telling G.M.s to use less analytics. What a hypocrite. Sure Theo. After you win 3 world titles and make your bones with analytics, tell others to cut back on it. He is working for the right commish.

they’re thinking about moving the mound back which essentially reduces pitch speed

football games take a long time due to built in delays like excessive commercial breaks and challenge after challenge / booth reviews

a lot of baseball delays are completely avoidable .. don’t let hitters get out of the box between pitches , establish a pitch clock (which wouldn’t be necessary if the pitchers just went at the pace they did years ago ) and establish some system of pitcher / catcher / fielder sign relays that are electronic .. boom 2.5 hr games are back

football games take a long time due to built in delays like excessive commercial breaks and challenge after challenge / booth reviews

a lot of baseball delays are completely avoidable .. don’t let hitters get out of the box between pitches , establish a pitch clock (which wouldn’t be necessary if the pitchers just went at the pace they did years ago ) and establish some system of pitcher / catcher / fielder sign relays that are electronic .. boom 2.5 hr games are back
You kind of made my point. Those built in delays are still delays that can be eliminated. Too many boring commercials. I’d much rather watch a batter adjust his gloves than another frickin State Farm commercial

That won't happen. They would have to move the mound back for every high school, legion, 12-14, 14-16, college field everywhere.
In the Atlantic League, where they are testing this out, they are only moving it back one foot. Most fields won't require dramatic work to be done on the mound, you're just moving the rubber back.

The other usual argument against this is the threat of injury. A study by Glenn Fleisig (I can't find the study, but it's mentioned in this article) "found that pitchers’ biomechanics did not change when they threw from the traditional 60.5 feet, 62.5 feet or 63.7 feet.

In that study, 26 college pitchers were asked to throw five fastballs each from the three different distances in a randomized order. The study found their mechanics were not altered by the differences in distance.

The summary of that paper, published in ScienceDirect, stated that “No significant differences in pitching kinetics and kinematics were observed among the varying pitching distances. Ball velocity and strike percentage were also not significantly different among the pitching distances, however, the duration of ball flight and horizontal and vertical break significantly increased with pitching distance ... In conclusion, it is unlikely that moving the mound backwards would significantly affect pitching biomechanics and injury risk; however, the effects on pitching and hitting performance are unknown.”"

Minor League Transactions: July 3-13, 2021

In the Atlantic League, where they are testing this out, they are only moving it back one foot. Most fields won't require dramatic work to be done on the mound, you're just moving the rubber back.

The other usual argument against this is the threat of injury. A study by Glenn Fleisig (I can't find the study, but it's mentioned in this article) "found that pitchers’ biomechanics did not change when they threw from the traditional 60.5 feet, 62.5 feet or 63.7 feet.

In that study, 26 college pitchers were asked to throw five fastballs each from the three different distances in a randomized order. The study found their mechanics were not altered by the differences in distance.

The summary of that paper, published in ScienceDirect, stated that “No significant differences in pitching kinetics and kinematics were observed among the varying pitching distances. Ball velocity and strike percentage were also not significantly different among the pitching distances, however, the duration of ball flight and horizontal and vertical break significantly increased with pitching distance ... In conclusion, it is unlikely that moving the mound backwards would significantly affect pitching biomechanics and injury risk; however, the effects on pitching and hitting performance are unknown.”"

Minor League Transactions: July 3-13, 2021
None of that matters to me. It's just a bad idea. Why don't we make it 95 ft to each base? Players are getting faster all the time as well. I just don't see a need for something so drastic. Think of all the solutions we can come up with for the other sports. Basketball courts were designed for guys smaller than we have today. Football players are bigger and faster than they were 40 years ago. Maybe we should widen the field and make it longer. I don't see a need.

None of that matters to me. It's just a bad idea. Why don't we make it 95 ft to each base? Players are getting faster all the time as well. I just don't see a need for something so drastic. Think of all the solutions we can come up with for the other sports. Basketball courts were designed for guys smaller than we have today. Football players are bigger and faster than they were 40 years ago. Maybe we should widen the field and make it longer. I don't see a need.
I think we've gotten to the point where it's no longer reasonable to expect hitters to make consistent contact.

Anybody here the saying the flu going around the clubhouse. Yet the Yankees now have 6 players in isolation for Covid 19 with the team 85 percent vaccinated. Aaron Judge and Gio the biggest of them this is a joke. Judge at 6 foot 7 280 plus pounds. You just screwed us baseball.

Anybody here the saying the flu going around the clubhouse. Yet the Yankees now have 6 players in isolation for Covid 19 with the team 85 percent vaccinated. Aaron Judge and Gio the biggest of them this is a joke. Judge at 6 foot 7 280 plus pounds. You just screwed us baseball.
Office Monkey GIF

What does Judge’a size have to do with it ?

There are some situations that size doesn't matter. And don't bring your nonsense to this thread just because you got banned from the Yankees thread.

in the average year, 36,000 people die each year from the flu. The worst year in the last 10 was 61,000 dead. In the last year over 600,000 people have died from Covid. That is 10x the worst year of the flu. Can you understand that? Can you understand the difference between 61,000 and 600,000? Also, not everyone of the yankees last three which included judge, have been vaccinated. And even if they were, you can still get Covid. you just won't die from it if you are vaccinated, most likely. MLB didn't so anything to the yankees. It's just bad luck.

in the average year, 36,000 people die each year from the flu. The worst year in the last 10 was 61,000 dead. In the last year over 600,000 people have died from Covid. That is 10x the worst year of the flu. Can you understand that? Can you understand the difference between 61,000 and 600,000? Also, not everyone of the yankees last three which included judge, have been vaccinated. And even if they were, you can still get Covid. you just won't die from it if you are vaccinated, most likely. MLB didn't so anything to the yankees. It's just bad luck.
He can't. He's simply not capable of that basic level of analysis. You all can keep trying, but he'll never get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom