2021 NFL Thread | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2021 NFL Thread

I now think the patriots are going to target Micah Parsons linebacker in the draft unless one of the QBs falls which won’t happen.

I’m not gonna question BB’s ability to win with whatever talent he has but this is the kind of free agency that the media would make fun of the Jaguars or Raiders for.
Patriots had cap space and needed talent infusion.
He didn’t sign guys in their 30s.
He signed guys between 26 and 28 entering their prime.

They needed to fill holes. If he did nothing he would get ripped as well.
Patriots were low on talent.
Their front 7 and skill guys were awful now they are solid.

PFF liked their signings.

Patriots had cap space and needed talent infusion.
He didn’t sign guys in their 30s.
He signed guys between 26 and 28 entering their prime.

They needed to fill holes. If he did nothing he would get ripped as well.
Patriots were low on talent.
Their front 7 and skill guys were awful now they are solid.

PFF liked their signings.
All that logic applies to the bad overspending that other teams do all the time, and PFF did not like all the signings. They thought the Jonnu and Judon deals were average, and Agholor, Mills, and Godchaux all got below average grades.

Shams broke Winston resigning with the Saints. Looks like #taymeis will be the QB.

I now think the patriots are going to target Micah Parsons linebacker in the draft unless one of the QBs falls which won’t happen.
I really hope they get a QB in rd 1, and I am hoping that is Lance...even if they need to trade up.

They need to get off this ride of having no succession plan. Cam returning is the result of that. They spent their cap room on the present. Use the draft for the future. Get off this QB uncertainty ride.

To that point...if ever there was a chance for a team to sacrifice the draft capital needed to go get a future franchise QB, yet not concede the WIN NOW position, its a year when they are able to outspend every other team in 2021 free agency. It could be a win win scenario for them.

Last edited:
Kenny Golloday and Will Fulmer are talking to NE today according to Rappaport as well.

I’m not gonna question BB’s ability to win with whatever talent he has but this is the kind of free agency that the media would make fun of the Jaguars or Raiders for.
Bottom line is BB new he had to rebuild prior to letting Brady go. They just got old, and missed on too many draft picks. Spent way to much time trying to field system guys that didn't pan out. He had been in salary cap jail for a while and last year didn't allow for it, but this cap space has been a plan for a while. Now in now way did I expect that he would do what he is doing, but he is absolutely addressing every need they have so far with exception to QB1

Bottom line is BB new he had to rebuild prior to letting Brady go. They just got old, and missed on too many draft picks. Spent way to much time trying to field system guys that didn't pan out. He had been in salary cap jail for a while and last year didn't allow for it, but this cap space has been a plan for a while. Now in now way did I expect that he would do what he is doing, but he is absolutely addressing every need they have so far with exception to QB1
People who aren’t Patriots fans don’t realize how bad the talent on the roster actually was.

It was barren. Outside of the secondary, RB and OL last year.

They had to eat the major dead money hit from Brady last year, plus they got the AB and Hernandez grievances cap hits come off.

The money is coming off the books so they are taking advantage of the fact not many teams have the money they have to spend. Jags and Jets aren’t trying to win next year.

Patriots are a Jimmy G trade or drafting a decent QB from being 11-5 next year.

I really hope they get a QB in rd 1, and I am hoping that is Lance...even if they need to trade up.

They need to get off this ride of having no succession plan. Cam returning is the result of that. They spent their cap room on the present. Use the draft for the future. Get off this QB uncertainty ride.

To that point...if ever there was a chance for a team to sacrifice the draft capital needed to go get a future franchise QB, yet not concede the WIN NOW position, its a year when they are able to outspend every other team in 2021 free agency. It could be a win win scenario for them.
15 and 2022 1st to Detroit for #7.

People who aren’t Patriots fans don’t realize how bad the talent on the roster actually was.

It was barren. Outside of the secondary, RB and OL last year.

They had to eat the major dead money hit from Brady last year, plus they got the AB and Hernandez grievances cap hits come off.

The money is coming off the books so they are taking advantage of the fact not many teams have the money they have to spend. Jags and Jets aren’t trying to win next year.

Patriots are a Jimmy G trade or drafting a decent QB from being 11-5 next year.
Agree its one of the reasons why the Patriots didn't commit to Brady when the opportunity was there. He wasn't winning with that team. When the Pats lost to the Titans in the playoffs the year prior it was clear there were too many issues. Much of that is on BB as his drafting has been poor lately.

Their skill players are horrendous, and the whole country saw that this year, but it wasn't materially better the year prior. They won games based on good coaching and Tom Brady in 2019. he wasn't carrying them in 2020. BB deserves credit for not blowing his wad last year with the limited available money he had. Expiring contracts, some trades, and limited QB spend helped them do what they are doing right now.

Agree its one of the reasons why the Patriots didn't commit to Brady when the opportunity was there. He wasn't winning with that team. When the Pats lost to the Titans in the playoffs the year prior it was clear there were too many issues. Much of that is on BB as his drafting has been poor lately.

Their skill players are horrendous, and the whole country saw that this year, but it wasn't materially better the year prior. They won games based on good coaching and Tom Brady in 2019. he wasn't carrying them in 2020. BB deserves credit for not blowing his wad last year with the limited available money he had. Expiring contracts, some trades, and limited QB spend helped them do what they are doing right now.
They won in 2018 because of their defense and having enough Gronk/Edelman and a good running game.

They still have room for a Curtis Samuel, Kenny Golloday, or Will Fuller.
Samuel is leaning Jacksonville.

Also Pats are talking to Clowney today to pair with Judon.

I think they are going to draft a QB but I want Parsons.

I heard they are looking at Alex Smith which is ugh.

They won in 2018 because of their defense and having enough Gronk/Edelman and a good running game.

They still have room for a Curtis Samuel, Kenny Golloday, or Will Fuller.
Samuel is leaning Jacksonville.

Also Pats are talking to Clowney today to pair with Judon.

I think they are going to draft a QB but I want Parsons.

I heard they are looking at Alex Smith which is ugh.
Parsons isn't getting to 15. Would be some kind of miracle necessary to drop that far regardless of what some mocks show. Would need the 5 QBs, 3 WRs, 2 OTs, 2 CBs and Pitts to all go and still need someone else. 50/50 shot he goes to Detroit at 7. Him or one of the WRs.

None of these contracts the Patriots have given out are going to put them in cap jail.
They aren’t going to have a high salary QB.
Either a rookie or Cam/ another scrap guy.

Leonard Williams contract is the grossest so far. Had that Kirk Cousins leverage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom