2021 NFL Thread | Page 77 | Syracusefan.com

2021 NFL Thread

That's insane
I find the midday show entertaining 11-2 I think. I like Zolak and it tends to be more light hearted. Having moved away from Massachusetts 7 years ago it is my only glimpse into the day to day sports world up there. The rest to Alsacs point is just garbage, although I though WEEI was unlistenable with Minihane and Callahan, and the Ordway show they just talked over each other all day.

I don't know about the analytics, but what I saw from Mac jones was impressive considering the Line play. I don't care how far the ball travels but 20 straight completions is not an easy feat. For a Rookie he stood up pretty well against the blitz especially when they couldn't establish the run. The line was the real issue yesterday. I thought Brady played average at best for him, but you can chalk that up to some good defensive scheme and probably some adrenaline early.

As I watched the game it did dawn on me that I really do hate Antonio Brown. There is no analytics for that, but I feel like everyone needs to know it.
Don't get me wrong - I don't think Jones played poorly by any means. I just thought that some of the over-the-top praise and commentary heaped upon him was just a bit excessive.

I'm a Bills fan, so I wanted the Patriots - a division rival - to lose. That said, I thought that the game itself was a bit boring. Given how bad the Bucs pass D is (and then losing Winfield and Davis during the game), I was hoping to see some downfield throws.

Agree 100% on Brown. Pure scum.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think Jones played poorly by any means. I just thought that some of the over-the-top praise and commentary heaped upon him was just a bit excessive.

I'm a Bills fan, so I wanted the Patriots - a division rival - to lose. That said, I thought that the game itself was a bit boring. Given how bad the Bucs pass D is (and then losing Winfield and Davis during the game), I was hoping to see some downfield throws.

Agree 100% on Brown. Pure scum.
Agree it was a boring game. I think most of the praise for Mac should really center around his poise. He does seem to play above his age, but without going downfield it will be a long year. Fortunately the game plan looked very similar to what they had Brady run in his first year, so my hope is they start to gradually open things up a but. The rain likely limited both teams yesterday from really opening things up. now your Bills look really good yesterday

Agree it was a boring game. I think most of the praise for Mac should really center around his poise. He does seem to play above his age, but without going downfield it will be a long year. Fortunately the game plan looked very similar to what they had Brady run in his first year, so my hope is they start to gradually open things up a but. The rain likely limited both teams yesterday from really opening things up. now your Bills look really good yesterday
Foolishly, I started Brady in fantasy, not thinking that if ANYONE knows how to defend Brady, it's Belichick. But you are correct, the game plan did look similar to how Brady was brought along as a first-year starter.

It's weird, but I'm not really thrilled about the way that the Bills played on offense yesterday. I didn't think that they were crisp, and left too much meat on the bone, so to speak. Granted, the weather was an issue, but the offense will have to be much better in order to beat KC next Sunday night.

Last edited:
Tampa runs the ball too much on first down. They are always in 2 and long. I thought that was why they fell behind the Rams early too last week. Stupid to run if you can't get more than 1-2 yards on first down.

Gronkowski obviously is a big loss for them. Especially in the RZ.

I don't know about the analytics, but what I saw from Mac jones was impressive considering the Line play. I don't care how far the ball travels but 20 straight completions is not an easy feat. For a Rookie he stood up pretty well against the blitz especially when they couldn't establish the run. The line was the real issue yesterday. I thought Brady played average at best for him, but you can chalk that up to some good defensive scheme and probably some adrenaline early.

As I watched the game it did dawn on me that I really do hate Antonio Brown. There is no analytics for that, but I feel like everyone needs to know it.
Collinsworth’s commentary hurt Mac nationally.

He played really well.
He is a rookie with a poor OL and couldn’t run on the opponent.
He played well and is solid.
He is going to be fine.
The Patriots need a RT and a Deebo Samuel like weapon and they will be fine in the future.

Tampa runs the ball too much on first down. They are always in 2 and long. I thought that was why they fell behind the Rams early too last week. Stupid to run if you can't get more than 1-2 yards on first down.

Gronkowski obviously is a big loss for them. Especially in the RZ.
Patriots defense forced Tampa to have to run the ball.
They played 6-7 DBs every play.
Patriots didn’t use their starting MLB Bentley one play last night and barely used Hightower.
They wanted speed on the field and it worked.
They also confused the living crap out of Brady. Every presnap was different and coverages always changed at the snap.
The Patriots needed Gilmore and they would have been even better defensively.
The Patriots completely took out Evans and Godwin.
Their 3rd CB against Antonio Brown was the only thing Brady could use.

That gameplan will show the good teams how to slow Tampa down.
You can’t predetermine what you will do against Brady or else he will destroy you.

I find the midday show entertaining 11-2 I think. I like Zolak and it tends to be more light hearted. Having moved away from Massachusetts 7 years ago it is my only glimpse into the day to day sports world up there. The rest to Alsacs point is just garbage, although I though WEEI was unlistenable with Minihane and Callahan, and the Ordway show they just talked over each other all day.
Zolak is a meathead moron. He was only good with Gresh.
Berterand is a member of the Felger Youth. The Felger Youth are miserable and he has changed Zolak.

The Sports Klan is garbage.
The Boston sports region has had unprecedented success and the media is miserable. Zolak is a joke.

Zolak is a meathead moron. He was only good with Gresh.
Berterand is a member of the Felger Youth. The Felger Youth are miserable and he has changed Zolak.

The Sports Klan is garbage.
The Boston sports region has had unprecedented success and the media is miserable. Zolak is a joke.

For the amount of success that city has had the past 20 years it's amazing how negative everyone is about sports in that city. NY isn't half as bad and the Knicks, Jets, Met's, Rangers, and Giants have been absolutely awful for years.

Last edited:
Foolishly, I started Brady in fantasy, not thinking that if ANYONE knows how to defend Brady, it's Belichick. But you are correct, the game plan did look similar to how Brady was brought along as a first-year starter.

It's weird, but I'm not really thrilled about the way that the Bills played on offense yesterday. I didn't think that they were crisp, and left too much meat on the bone, so to speak. Granted, the weather was an issue, but the offense will have to be much better in order to beat KC next Sunday night.
I didn't see the game, but just reading the stats and recap, I don't want to settle for field goals quite as often next Sunday night.

I didn't see the game, but just reading the stats and recap, I don't want to settle for field goals quite as often next Sunday night.
I wonder if the bar was set so high last year, from an offensive standpoint, that DCs have adjusted accordingly. Part of me also wonders whether Daboll is holding some sets/looks close to the vest, as well.

But yes, next week, those red zone FGs need to be TDs.

I’d be surprised if Buffalo doesn’t put up 35 against KC. KC can’t stop anyone this season.

I wonder if the bar was set so high last year, from an offensive standpoint, that DCs have adjusted accordingly. Part of me also wonders whether Daboll is holding some sets/looks close to the vest, as well.

But yes, next week, those red zone FGs need to be TDs.

3rd/4th and short play calling and execution has been horrendous. That seemed to me why so many drives stalled out and we had to kick FG's or turned it over on downs.

By the way, I went to the Bills game yesterday, and with rain in the forecast for at least 5 days ahead of time, you would think that a 37 year old grown adult like me would have planned ahead and purchased a poncho, but no. I'm still drying out this morning.

Don't want to be a thread Nazi, but we should probably head over to the Bills thread to discuss Bills-related stuff.
I’d be surprised if Buffalo doesn’t put up 35 against KC. KC can’t stop anyone this season.
I'd love to see that.

Got inside the 10 3 times and settled for FG's. The rain definitely affected Allen who sailed a couple of throws. The deep red zone play calling was also a bit suspect. I have Allen as my QB in a big money fantasy league and he could easily have another 5-6+ TD's on the year. We need to clean that up a bit.

3rd/4th and short play calling and execution has been horrendous. That seemed to me why so many drives stalled out and we had to kick FG's or turned it over on downs.

Buffalo has gotten away from those short routes to Diggs that I think they hit on like 90% of the time on 3rd and 4th and short. The redzone play calling also hasn't been great and they have missed on a few plays that probably should have been TD's. They really need to clean that up because against KC and SD and the Pats and Ravens etc that's not going to work. Also need to get McKenzie more involved in the red zone, good gadget guy to run a bunch of stuff with where as Beasley seems to struggle in the red zone.

Got inside the 10 3 times and settled for FG's. The rain definitely affected Allen who sailed a couple of throws. The deep red zone play calling was also a bit suspect. I have Allen as my QB in a big money fantasy league and he could easily have another 5-6+ TD's on the year. We need to clean that up a bit.
Yep one of my friends has Allen as QB and keeps texting me that he expected a bit more. Of course he is also a Chiefs fan, so not sure how he will handle that next week.

Yep one of my friends has Allen as QB and keeps texting me that he expected a bit more. Of course he is also a Chiefs fan, so not sure how he will handle that next week.

Ya he's right about yesterday, he easily could have had another 2-3td's. Moss ran one in, they kicked a a FG on 4th and Goal when I thought they should have went for it and a few other times seemed kind of non-chalant with the playcalling probably because they knew Houston couldn't score no matter what but it was a little disappointing. I did really like the RPO they ran when Allen tossed the short TD to Knox, hope we see more of that and more of Allen trying to run it in like a few years ago as he's gotten away from that.

Patriots defense forced Tampa to have to run the ball.
They played 6-7 DBs every play.
Patriots didn’t use their starting MLB Bentley one play last night and barely used Hightower.
They wanted speed on the field and it worked.
They also confused the living crap out of Brady. Every presnap was different and coverages always changed at the snap.
The Patriots needed Gilmore and they would have been even better defensively.
The Patriots completely took out Evans and Godwin.
Their 3rd CB against Antonio Brown was the only thing Brady could use.

That gameplan will show the good teams how to slow Tampa down.
You can’t predetermine what you will do against Brady or else he will destroy you.
No Gronk makes defending TB much easier, IMO.

I watched some of the first half (up to/around Buc's best DB injured his leg). Tampa secondary has been a MASH unit since the regular season began so the front seven looked to sell out to pressure Jones.

Jones played well when I watched given that pressure; doesn't have a strong arm but made good decisions under duress.

Patsies still don't seem to have elite skill talent (WR/TE, RB) which would obviously help a young QB like Jones.

If Belichick ever hits on an elite WR or RB in the draft then they might be able to do more than dink n dunk all night.

Philly played without four of their five starters on the OL yesterday and yet KC did not get a lot of pressure on the QB. KC's line play on both sides of the ball is just ok, nothing special. They have three incredible pieces- the QB, WR and TE - and a very innovative HC.

You can't lose that game if your the Saints.

They got me in one of my survivor pools. Going back and forth between NO and KC all week (took BUF in week 3). Home vs road got me in the end. I should have zoomed out farther and questioned why I'm taking Jameis over Mahomes.

Um no it’s not.
The Sports Hub 98.5 gets 4 times the ratings than WEEI.
EEI is dead.
Mike Felger has the show on 98.5 that gets way higher ratings than all of EEI.
You would like Felger&Mazz all it does is tell New England sports fans why their teams suck and blow.
You don’t know Boston radio it’s okay.

I was there for the peak and demise of WEEI. Done in by their own arrogance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom