2021 Schedule | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Schedule

Agree completely...plus it opens up Sat-Mon on the last weekend of summer if you want to go camping, etc...
Personally, I also like it when the opening game is on a Friday night at home. That way I can pull off the New York State Fair combinaction.

I’m more confident about the d line than the oline. Do not think Bear is coming back but with black and Kingsley with the reserves DL could be strong.
OL is always the issue and will continue to be.

Understandable. I just don't think we have the size across the Dline - especially if McKinley isn't back. That is my major worry.

Understandable. I just don't think we have the size across the Dline - especially if McKinley isn't back. That is my major worry.
I see this a lot on here, and I think in a traditional 3-4 defense it makes total sense. However, in our version of the 3-3-5 I have heard multiple coaches, inlcuding White and Dino themselves, mention they priortize penetration over congestion for the DL. This is in line with the attacking and disruptive oriented notion of our flavor of the 3-3-5.

I say this because I have heard Dino mention he prefers a 6–4 to 6-5 280-290 guy over a 6-2 to 6-3 325lb guy. Given the orientation of penetration and disruption over congestion and space eating, then the more athletic (but still bigger than a DE) body type makes sense over the mass of humanity who is strong as an ox but doesn’t move nearly as well.

I actually think the last several games of our season showed how capable we could be stopping the run, once the defense became more acclimated to the scheme. Obviously the first few games (Particularly liberty and the first 2 4th quarters) were not good but I thought I observed obvious progress with this group.

Lastly, the Aztecs where always ranked very highly against the run, even doing well against P5 competition, using this penetration over congestion scheme.

Last edited:
I see this a lot on here, and I think in a traditional 3-4 defense it makes total sense. However, in our version of the 3-3-5 I have heard multiple coaches, inlcuding White and Dino themselves, mention they priortize penetration over congestion for the DL. This is in line with the attacking and disruptive oriented notation of our flavor of the 3-3-5.

I say this because I have heard Dino mention he prefers a 6–4 to 6-5 280-290 guy over a 6-2 to 6-3 325lb guy. Given the orientation of penetration and disruption over congestion and space eating, then the more athletic (but still bigger than a DE) body type makes sense over the mass of humanity who is strong as an ox but doesn’t move nearly as well.

I actually think the last several games of our season showed how capable we could be stopping the run, once the defense became more acclimatized to the scheme. Obviously the first few games (Particularly liberty and the first 2 4th quarters) were not good but I thought I observed obvious progress with this group.

Lastly, the Aztecs where always ranked very highly against the run, even doing well against P5 competition, using this penetration over congestion scheme.
I just don’t see how that’s true up there middle. I would think you still need that beefy immovable object to clog the middle. Let the ends disrupt and penetrate when possible. But that’s just my opinion.

I just don’t see how that’s true up there middle. I would think you still need that beefy immovable object to clog the middle. Let the ends disrupt and penetrate when possible. But that’s just my opinion.
I think it’s a choice between minimizing gains (bend but don’t break) with a clogger, and maximizing TFL opportunities with a disrupter. I prefer the latter and the only defensive success we have had over the past 20 years is when we had a disruptive penetrating, attacking defense under DCSS.

Now, the optimal choice is having a 6-5 320 athletic freak like A Donald or most SEC tackles but we have to make a choice. You can clog or you can disrupt but you can’t do both.

I for one, am ready for a change...

EDIT: btw this isn’t my opinion about the choice, as I have heard Dino and WHite (and other aztec disciples) talk directly about prioritzing athleticism over size at DT. However they then prioritize size at the LB and safety levels which recognizes the increased responsibility those positions have in stopping the run due to the lack of the pluggers at DT.

Last edited:
They will get pushed around at times for sure but they will also generate more tackle for losses and disruption overall. Last season we were hurt more by bad technique and gap integrity. That comes with learning and playing in a new scheme. It got better as the season progressed. 4-3 schemes with big interior D lineman get pushed around too.

I see this a lot on here, and I think in a traditional 3-4 defense it makes total sense. However, in our version of the 3-3-5 I have heard multiple coaches, inlcuding White and Dino themselves, mention they priortize penetration over congestion for the DL. This is in line with the attacking and disruptive oriented notion of our flavor of the 3-3-5.

I actually think the last several games of our season showed how capable we could be stopping the run, once the defense became more acclimatized to the scheme. Obviously the first few games (Particularly liberty and the first 2 4th quarters) were not good but I thought I observed obvious progress with this group.

Good post. I said all this stuff way before Dino's comments and some chose not to believe me. Im not sure why people continue to believe that adding 320 pound D lineman that cant move is going to work in this scheme.

A63CA340-2518-41C0-A1FD-97F489CEF916.jpeg

They will get pushed around at times for sure but they will also generate more tackle for losses and disruption overall. Last season we were hurt more by bad technique and gap integrity. That comes with learning and playing in a new scheme. It got better as the season progressed. 4-3 schemes with big interior D lineman get pushed around too.

I'm not trying to be unrealistically optimistic, but it seemed like the DL improved against the run as the season went on. I know the stats won't always bear that out, i.e. ND's 94 yard run after the game was decided pushed them to 283. But look (or look away) at the GT, Duke, Liberty games, it was as if we played without a DL against the run.

I wouldn't consider the opener on the road at Ohio a sure win for a team coming off a 1-10 season.

Noteworthy that Ohio lost by just 10 a couple years ago @ Pitt

I think part of the issue with the dline was depth.. We would make some great plays but couldnt sustain it without having the proper depth to rotate thru. As they wore down some games got worse and worse..

I'm not trying to be unrealistically optimistic, but it seemed like the DL improved against the run as the season went on. I know the stats won't always bear that out, i.e. ND's 94 yard run after the game was decided pushed them to 283. But look (or look away) at the GT, Duke, Liberty games, it was as if we played without a DL against the run.
You are right. DL got better. The defense went through a real bad stretch. Even though they were giving up yards you can still see they truly believed in the scheme and was having fun. No scheme is bullet proof but we have to continue to improve in it and generate tunrovers to be successful.

There isn't a road game on the schedule this year with a direct flight or "easy" drive - from "Upstate" NY. Coastal would be better since you add direct flights to Miami, GaTech, and direct seasonal flights to the two research triangle schools, while keeping BC and PITT but swapping their roles. UVA would be the only geographically tough school to get to, and it's still an easier jaunt than anyone in the Atlantic except NC State (through early November).

I don't see the Shrmdougluvrs hitting any away games this year (barely have interest in the home ones).
NCSt, Frontier have a non-stop to RDU from SYR this year in late November?

I'm trying to talk the Mrs. into a trip to fly to Orlando, have me hit the Florida State game, then do Disney World with the kiddooskis.
If you have a couple days...so much nicer flying into TPA or PIE than MCO or SFB out of SYR. Toll roads all over Orlando

NCSt, Frontier have a non-stop to RDU from SYR this year in late November?

It didn’t out of Albany in 2019. That duke game was on the 16th. My recollection was that the last flight was the Tuesday prior.

It didn’t out of Albany in 2019. That duke game was on the 16th. My recollection was that the last flight was the Tuesday prior.
Yes unless they change the schedule, the direct flight from Syracuse to Raleigh also ends around the end of October. Not good.

If you have a couple days...so much nicer flying into TPA or PIE than MCO or SFB out of SYR. Toll roads all over Orlando
Great to know but we'd be flying in from SLC. :)

Yes unless they change the schedule, the direct flight from Syracuse to Raleigh also ends around the end of October. Not good.
Well Tom, if you fly in for NCSt...let me know. I might go to that game and I always stay out by the airport

I’ve never had a problem flying in to mco. But in terms of flying out, Tampa is much, much nicer (if it works with your itinerary).
MCO as you leave has a bunch of toll roads at the airport exit which causes tourists confusion.

If you come to Florida occasionally...getting a portable Sunpass is nice to have.

Wish E-ZPass was nationwide

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom