2021 Tokyo Olympic Basketball... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Tokyo Olympic Basketball...

The genius of Gregg Popovich seems to have abated since the retirement of Tim Duncan.
Never been a fan of that guy. He was afforded of having the likes of Duncan, Parker, Kawhi and Manu. It is literally almost impossible to suck as a coach with those players. You just let them play at that point and as the coach you just become the figurehead of the team. He’s also an arrogant piece of work from what I’ve heard too (this might be kinda obvious though lol).

Will always enjoy hearing about Syracuse guys in the NBA and hopefully having success. I also will always hope for our Olympians to take the gold. That said I have almost zero interest in the product anymore. I enjoyed the game when it was James Worthy, Clyde Drexler, Hakeem Olajuwan, Magic, Bird, Jordan, etc...today it's to much dribble and launch from 30. It was more enjoyable in my opinion when action was inside and outside. Good luck to our guys though, I am sure they will bounce back and win.

when I watch the suns, the first thing I think is “too much dribbling and launching from 3”

Last edited:
when I watch the suns, the first think is “too much dribbling and launching from 3”
My sarcasm sense is a bit off so honestly can't tell if you are agreeing or not. I would say this, since they lost me as a fan already it would not really matter if you identify a one off team who does bring an older style of play. So if you are agreeing cool, if not then (shrugs) ok. Still not bringing me back in to watch but thanks for letting me know 1 team is not a dribble and launch setup.

My sarcasm sense is a bit off so honestly can't tell if you are agreeing or not. I would say this, since they lost me as a fan already it would not really matter if you identify a one off team who does bring an older style of play. So if you are agreeing cool, if not then (shrugs) ok. Still not bringing me back in to watch but thanks for letting me know 1 team is not a dribble and launch setup.

im suggesting youre ignorant about the nba and speaking in blanket statements that don’t reflect reality. The usual standard for this is “they don’t play defense” so at least you switched it up

it’s fine that you dont want to watch the product.

Never been a fan of that guy. He was afforded of having the likes of Duncan, Parker, Kawhi and Manu. It is literally almost impossible to suck as a coach with those players. You just let them play at that point and as the coach you just become the figurehead of the team. He’s also an arrogant piece of work from what I’ve heard too (this might be kinda obvious though lol).
I know someone that is a huge fan - that would be Gregg Popovich.

im suggesting your ignorant about the nba and speaking in blanket statements that don’t reflect reality.

it’s fine that you dont want to watch the product.
Well next time say what mean DJ. The fact you call me ignorant in your 2nd response for making a blanket statement but then don't counter with facts but instead make just a general statement that "don't reflect the reality" would also seemingly be ignorant would it not? I do appreciate you feel it's necessary to take more of a personal style attack to support your point though.
In 2017 only one team had over 40% of their shots be 3 pointers. In 2018 it was 2 teams. This season 15 teams are shooting higher than 40%. 20 years ago 17% of shots were 3 pointers. The style of the game seemingly has changed. That's my opinion. I would add some of the personalities have changed that perhaps I enjoyed as well. Add in all the walks, carrys and such I just don't find the game that appealing (not to say some of those things didn't occur back then as well in truth.) That said ultimately I really don't care if you do, glad you are so informed on the game that you feel differently. Your perhaps more of a connoisseur of the game than I was. Here is some advice. Next time if you have a counter opinion, just say why you believe different. Now instead of convincing me it's worth watching again, you have only convinced me that I have no desire to hear you. Moving on...

The genius of Gregg Popovich seems to have abated since the retirement of Tim Duncan.

Then you haven't watched the Spurs post Duncan. That team that's fighting for a playoff spot in the West that has no business doing so and he's getting the absolute most out of them.

Kawhi, Parker and especially Manu were not top three picks and they brought those guys along. In 2003 it was all Duncan in terms of legit stars.

And, a lot of coaches have great players and don't end up winning it all, Pop not only won 5 times, but did so with wildly different styles of play.

You can also argue that 2014 Spurs team was one of the most beautiful brands of basketball of all time and you are talking an OLD tim duncan on that team.

Maybe Pop isn't great at coaching for int'l ball and that can be a fair critique, but no coach that has won a ton of titles has done so without amazing players. It just doesn't happen. Red, Phil, Daly, Rudy, Kerr, etc etc. Of course you need amazing players, it's the NBA.

Also, two coaches from his coaching tree are coaching in the NBA Finals, to boot.

Also, two coaches from his coaching tree are coaching in the NBA Finals, to boot.
Also Quin Snyder,etc, etc. Personally I not a huge Pop guy but it's impressive.

Then you haven't watched the Spurs post Duncan. That team that's fighting for a playoff spot in the West that has no business doing so and he's getting the absolute most out of them.

Kawhi, Parker and especially Manu were not top three picks and they brought those guys along. In 2003 it was all Duncan in terms of legit stars.

And, a lot of coaches have great players and don't end up winning it all, Pop not only won 5 times, but did so with wildly different styles of play.

You can also argue that 2014 Spurs team was one of the most beautiful brands of basketball of all time and you are talking an OLD tim duncan on that team.

Maybe Pop isn't great at coaching for int'l ball and that can be a fair critique, but no coach that has won a ton of titles has done so without amazing players. It just doesn't happen. Red, Phil, Daly, Rudy, Kerr, etc etc. Of course you need amazing players, it's the NBA.

I agree, he's a great coach, just a little full of himself which is not all that unusual in his line of work.
That being said, his team just lost to Nigeria and Australia. Let's see how he coaches this team up.

It's great you can find talent everywhere now see Marek. As fun as the first Dream team was who wants to see 80 point blowouts?
62f0712a72c390de8a20366e01982f9a_w200.gif

Duncan was no doubter #1 but wasn't Pop part of the evaluation team that drafted the other three either post lottery or 2nd round? That's got to count for something.

Well next time say what mean DJ. The fact you call me ignorant in your 2nd response for making a blanket statement but then don't counter with facts but instead make just a general statement that "don't reflect the reality" would also seemingly be ignorant would it not? I do appreciate you feel it's necessary to take more of a personal style attack to support your point though.
In 2017 only one team had over 40% of their shots be 3 pointers. In 2018 it was 2 teams. This season 15 teams are shooting higher than 40%. 20 years ago 17% of shots were 3 pointers. The style of the game seemingly has changed. That's my opinion. I would add some of the personalities have changed that perhaps I enjoyed as well. Add in all the walks, carrys and such I just don't find the game that appealing (not to say some of those things didn't occur back then as well in truth.) That said ultimately I really don't care if you do, glad you are so informed on the game that you feel differently. Your perhaps more of a connoisseur of the game than I was. Here is some advice. Next time if you have a counter opinion, just say why you believe different. Now instead of convincing me it's worth watching again, you have only convinced me that I have no desire to hear you. Moving on...

saying you are ignorant on a specifc subject isn’t a personal attack.

you said you don’t watch the games. Why would I think you know what you would be talking about?

Suggesting the nba is “dribble and launch a 30 footer” doesn’t equate to “they shoot more 3s”

Frankly the college game is much more that style than the nba

That would be 28th pick Tony Parker, 15th pick Kawhi Leonard, and 57th pick Many Ginobili you're referring to I take it?
Yup lol never said he was a bad evaluator. I’ll give him that, but how much coaching do you actually have to do with 4 studs and future hall of famers on your team. See the same thing with Steve Kerr. Players make good coaches

Yup lol never said he was a bad evaluator. I’ll give him that, but how much coaching do you actually have to do with 4 studs and future hall of famers on your team. See the same thing with Steve Kerr. Players make good coaches

First, they were not all studs at the same time. '99 was Robinson and Duncan and Robinson was not at his peak. '03 was literally just Duncan as a star. '14, those guys were old outside of Kawhi. Those guys had moments, but it's not like they were running out the '86 Celtics or '87 Lakers.

If you watch the 2003 Finals and then watch the 2014 Finals and think that Pop did nothing, I'm not sure what to tell you. Pop transformed those teams over and over again.

Yes, Duncan is one of the ten best players ever (AND HE WAS BETTER THAN KOBE), but Pop absolutely put them in the right position to win. They are probably a dumb Manu foul and a crazy shot by D Fish away from having 7 titles (and not counting the Ray Allen shot that if it rims out, would have been another).

At no point did Pop ever have a duo as talented as Shaq/Kobe or MJ/Pippen. And I will not tolerate Pippen slander here.

Think of this, they wanted to get J Kidd. It's not like they drafted Tony and were like, "yep, we got our guy". It took a bit to bring him along.

Last edited:
They looked pretty good last night. Some people still think we can still roll out a roster of 12 NBA players in any international tournament and steam roll everyone like the original Dream team. While this is the oldest age wise team, it has the least amount of international experience than the 2-3 previous teams. Previously, the core spent more time together in the years prior to the olympics. In addition, there are potential olympians dealing with injuries, the ongoing effects of covid and year postponement, and issues related to the timing of the NBA season and playoffs. Most of the team is coming off the season with little time for practice and cohesion and transition to playing the international game. Three players still playing in the playoffs. Only Durant, Love, Green have been in an Olympics. No Lebron, ADavis, Harden, Kyrie, Curry, Thompson. Arguably, the first four with Durant is the starting team.. I won't be shocked if we don't win gold, but i will be surprised. I won't even begin to waste time on anyone who is critical of Pops as a coach, that is so ridiculous.
Additionally, the NBA has played a role in establishing NBA academies globally and launched international basketball leagues. Currently there are 107 international players from 41 countries on NBA rosters. Parity is inevitable

Last edited:
People can dislike Pop for his arrogance, politics, etc. You can move him around on the scale of all time great coaches in any sport all you want but that is exactly what he is one of them. Yeah he's getting up there in years and had some mediocre seasons but his teams always compete and been really consistent. What great coach didn't have great players? John Wooden, Belichick, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Red Auerbach? Please. Pop drafted all of those players too. He's one of the all time greats any sport. He's actually done a lot of good out there too, also an Air Force Academy grad which surprises many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom