2021 Tokyo Olympic Basketball... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Tokyo Olympic Basketball...

USA 108, Argentina 80

Pop is not using the bench guys much. Doesn't appear he is trying to assign roles to players. I would think the exhibition games would be a good time to play everyone and see what combos work best.

After the first 2 disastrous losses, he might be feeling some pressure to play his best players and just get wins.

My impression is that this is a soft team that is poor rebounding and does not pass the ball well. Not great on defense either. Durant got abused early pretty badly in the paint.

They have a lot of work to do to become good enough to get a medal.

I think Pop is great. But he has a lot of JB in him, in that he forgets the truth and is a pompous a double s a lot of times.

In the above clip, the writer asks about the teams that they have blown out before and why the US isn't blowing them out now. I am paraphrasing because I did not hear the question. But Pop says "that's just not true", when in actuality, the US beat Nigeria by 43 last time it played and by 80 a few times before.

Pop is not using the bench guys much. Doesn't appear he is trying to assign roles to players. I would think the exhibition games would be a good time to play everyone and see what combos work best.

After the first 2 disastrous losses, he might be feeling some pressure to play his best players and just get wins.

My impression is that this is a soft team that is poor rebounding and does not pass the ball well. Not great on defense either. Durant got abused early pretty badly in the paint.

They have a lot of work to do to become good enough to get a medal.

People should also take into consideration that the guys must be absolutely gassed. They played a condensed season with the playoff bubble, then a short offseason, and then played a full season that hasn't even ended yet and they are already starting their next competition. Frankly, I'll be shocked if at least a couple of them don't pick up injuries.

Last edited:
At this point, this isn't on Pop. Either go fully young guys or get the best of the best. The fact that they gave a spot to Kevin Love was a joke. Some of the final 57 were also a joke.

I can't believe they are pulling in McGee and Keldon Johnson (btw, I like Keldon a lot).

This is what happens when Colangelo is still in charge. And, I get that he was in charge for the redeem team, but let's be honest, the whole key was to get Bron and Kobe to play (ie - go full Nike). There isn't a lot of brilliant strategy there. Oh, let's get the actual best players to play and we'll win again.

How the heck are Trae and Zion not on this team? At this point it would have been better to add Cade and Mobley to the team if Trae and Zion won't play. If it came to it, they should bounce Lloyd Pierce from the staff to get Trae on there.

At this point, this isn't on Pop. Either go fully young guys or get the best of the best. The fact that they gave a spot to Kevin Love was a joke. Some of the final 57 were also a joke.

I can't believe they are pulling in McGee and Keldon Johnson (btw, I like Keldon a lot).

This is what happens when Colangelo is still in charge. And, I get that he was in charge for the redeem team, but let's be honest, the whole key was to get Bron and Kobe to play (ie - go full Nike). There isn't a lot of brilliant strategy there. Oh, let's get the actual best players to play and we'll win again.

How the heck are Trae and Zion not on this team? At this point it would have been better to add Cade and Mobley to the team if Trae and Zion won't play. If it came to it, they should bounce Lloyd Pierce from the staff to get Trae on there.

Yeah this has worst Olympic finish in xx years written all over it.

Pop wanted Johnson.
That is a terrible job by him picking his own guy over what the team could use more.

Zion and Trae were the obvious adds.
Trae not getting picked is likely related to how loyal Pop is to his guys and he won’t want to embarrass Lloyd Pierce who Young didn’t have a good relationship with.

Pop wanted Johnson.
That is a terrible job by him picking his own guy over what the team could use more.

Zion and Trae were the obvious adds.
Trae not getting picked is likely related to how loyal Pop is to his guys and he won’t want to embarrass Lloyd Pierce who Young didn’t have a good relationship with.

I get the pick now for Keldon. It's def not great. But the bigger picture is on Colangelo. To me, this isn't a Keldon being picked issue, it's bigger than that.

Agree. K got too much credit and Pop will get too much blame if this goes south. The only 2 coaches who should be blamed are Larry Brown and John Thompson.