2021 Tokyo Olympic Basketball... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Tokyo Olympic Basketball...

Obviously this isn't our best possible basketball team, but they should not be getting killed by EVAN FOURNIER. He has scored with ease and at will all game.

Yeah I mean another really pathetic performance by this team. They may not make it out of pool play the way this is going.

Sacre Bleu
Viva le France!!! Pepe le Pew!!! I only watched 1/2 the 2nd quarter and the last 3 minutes of the game but France really outhustled the prima donnas from what I saw. And Kevin Durant fouling out after shooting 4/12. That would never happen in the NBA.

Either get all the top stars or go with younger guys.

This teams needs a real PG. They should fire Lloyd Pierce and bring on Trae. They need to purge some other players and get Zion.

This team would be better even if they had Cade Cunningham and Evan Mobley.

I think the issue is pretty simple.

We stopped rolling out an all star team cobbled together at the last minute, because other countries had groups of guys who weren't as individually talented, but had played together for several years and were fully immersed in the different rules of FIBA basketball. The sum of those teams was greater than the more talented individual parts of ours, which is why we began struggling in every international competition for that 5 or so year span.

Coach K [and JB] had a core nucleus of players who committed to playing for Team USA over the course of several years, and learned how to play together within a structured team concept. So when the time came for the Olympics, they were a well-oiled machine that didn't resort to one-on-five play when faced with adversity, a la Iverson / Marbury.

So what happened this year? It looks like we reverted right back to the roll with a bunch of square peg all-star model of operation.

Last edited:

We stopped rolling out an all star team cobbled together at the last minute, because other countries had groups of guys who weren't as individually talented, but had played together for several years and were fully immersed in the different rules of FIBA basketball.

Coach K [and JB] had a core nucleus of players who committed to playing for Team USA over the course of several years, and learned how to play together within a structured team concept. So when the time came for the Olympics, they were a well-oiled machine that didn't resort to one-on-five play when faced with adversity, a la Iverson / Marbury.

So what happened this year? It looks like we reverted right back to the all-star model of operation.
Yes. Plus 10 for 32 from three for the game which wasn't bad but only 3 for 12 in the 4th. Killed them.

France is the toughest opponent in our group and will be one of the main contenders for a medal. The other two teams in our group should not be a problem for us. We'll see though as today was not a good start...

Group A: Iran, France, United States, Czech Republic
Group B: Australia, Nigeria, Germany, Italy
Group C: Argentina, Japan, Spain, Slovenia

FYI: The top two in each group advance along with the top 2 3rd place teams.

France is the toughest opponent in our group and will be one of the main contenders for a medal. The other two teams in our group should not be a problem for us. We'll see though as today was not a good start...

Should being the key word. I think that the problems go beyond squad selection or even coaching selection. This just doesn't mean what it should to the players anymore. Until it does mean more that commitment just won't be there.

Should being the key word. I think that the problems go beyond squad selection or even coaching selection. This just doesn't mean what it should to the players anymore. Until it does mean more that commitment just won't be there.
Maybe for some, but the finals guys went above and beyond to be there

We stopped rolling out an all star team cobbled together at the last minute, because other countries had groups of guys who weren't as individually talented, but had played together for several years and were fully immersed in the different rules of FIBA basketball.

So what happened this year? It looks like we reverted right back to the roll with a bunch of square peg all-star model of operation.

I agree with you to an extent.

It wouldn't have mattered if Coach Finstock was the coach in 2008 (and then '12). I know no one wants to hear that on the board. They just needed "Not Larry Brown". K and JB et al were good, but it was the talent that mattered and it mattered that Kobe was the best player in the world at the time. He was more important than any coach.

They got the absolute best players. Bron, Kobe, Wade, Melo, CP3, D12 (when he was good), D-Will (when he was good), etc. They had three PGs in CP3, D-Will and an aging J Kidd that played the role that we have ZERO of for this team.

If we put out our top guys we would still roll. But instead we put out a group that has no real PG, a lot of guys that can excel at 1:1 play, and a lot of guys that are "stars" but not elite.

So, if you are Bryan Colangelo (who I'm laying most of the fault), you have to realize the pool that you're choosing from wasn't good. You either have to get Bron/Steph/KD/Kawhi to all commit (granted, Kawhi is now hurt) or else you have to re-jigger the pool.

Tatum, Beal and Book (and Jrue and Middleton) are all very good NBA players. But in 08, those non Bron/Kobe players were all better than the guys I just listed. Wade, Melo, CP3, etc were at a level higher than the non-KD guys we have (I include Dame in elite-ish players).

I'm less worried about how long they play together and just the talent level. Trae and Zion would be much more important to this team right now than most of the guys we have on the roster.

How are the top 3rd place teams selected?

Either get all the top stars or go with younger guys.

This teams needs a real PG. They should fire Lloyd Pierce and bring on Trae. They need to purge some other players and get Zion.

This team would be better even if they had Cade Cunningham and Evan Mobley.
Trae wasn't taken because he doesn't fit the style that Popovich wants to play. Which is much more half court oriented as opposed to fast open court. I agree Trae should have been on the team and it should have a different head coach. This team is poorly constructed. There is no interior scoring or muscle for rebounding. Notice they are out rebounded every game. Since they can't get easy baskets in the paint they have to shoot really well from outside. If they have an off shooting game they're toast. And because there are really no interior scorers teams can overplay on the perimeter. Which they all are doing lowering the shooting percentages. Incredibly disappointing.

Had plenty of open looks down stretch just missed. Bam also missed 2 FTs. And they shot that put France up was off a scramble situation.

still, not good. Missing a Davis/town/Allen center imo.

It seems to me that if you're going the all-star route you have to have point guards that are primarily distributors. Then everyone else falls in line.

This will sound nuts but LaMelo Ball is the best chance for USA basketball to dominate.

It seems to me that if you're going the all-star route you have to have point guards that are primarily distributors. Then everyone else falls in line.

This will sound nuts but LaMelo Ball is the best chance for USA basketball to dominate.
LaMelo would be great on this team. It’s not nuts at all. Like I said, they could have even used Cade if we’re being honest.