2021 USMNT Thread | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

2021 USMNT Thread

They better cap tie him in the gold cup if Italy is really interested.

Doubtful there's any interest. Italy has about a dozen U23 midfielders that Busio would probably never displace. Guys like Locatelli, Tonali, Zaniolo etc.

Don't get it twisted, I think Busio has shown some significant progress over the last 12 months and I think will become a key USMNT player very soon.

Doubtful there's any interest. Italy has about a dozen U23 midfielders that Busio would probably never displace. Guys like Locatelli, Tonali, Zaniolo etc.

Don't get it twisted, I think Busio has shown some significant progress over the last 12 months and I think will become a key USMNT player very soon.
Agree... the odds of a us eligible teenager playing for a senior Italy mens team are slim to none in soccer.

I hope this kid pans out… we are missing a pivot who can put his foot on the ball and control tempo.

I can remember the name off the top of my head, but I believe one of his FC Dallas Academy teammates will be joining him in Bayern (but in the academy) in the near future.

Add to that Ricardo Pepi being destined for a big team and I think it's well past due USMNT fans start Venmoing a few shekels to FC Dallas' academy trainers.

I can remember the name off the top of my head, but I believe one of his FC Dallas Academy teammates will be joining him in Bayern (but in the academy) in the near future.

Add to that Ricardo Pepi being destined for a big team and I think it's well past due USMNT fans start Venmoing a few shekels to FC Dallas' academy trainers.
That was 17 year old Justin Che. They couldn’t come to terms with Bayern for a permanent transfer for now but I have a feeling he’ll be headed back to Munich after a good MLS season. Wouldn’t be shocked if they have a deal done under the table but was easier to wait than deal with a sale and immediate loan back.

That was 17 year old Justin Che. They couldn’t come to terms with Bayern for a permanent transfer for now but I have a feeling he’ll be headed back to Munich after a good MLS season. Wouldn’t be shocked if they have a deal done under the table but was easier to wait than deal with a sale and immediate loan back.

No - it wasn't Che, I'm thinking about.

Maybe I am getting my wires crossed with Robert Deziel who just moved to Bayern.

No - it wasn't Che, I'm thinking about.

Maybe I am getting my wires crossed with Robert Deziel who just moved to Bayern.
Bayern has had a ton of interest in MLS talent. Obviously Alphonso Davies is the shining star but they’ve bought Richards and Taylor Booth (RSL) in the past few years. Wouldn’t shock me to see Pepi get a real long look too.

Bayern has had a ton of interest in MLS talent. Obviously Alphonso Davies is the shining star but they’ve bought Richards and Taylor Booth (RSL) in the past few years. Wouldn’t shock me to see Pepi get a real long look too.

They brought Pepi and 5 other FC Dallas youth in for training in January. I heard Pepi may be more likely to land in Italy though.

Richards should go to Hoffenheim. One full season starting every league game will really bring in some big clubs for him.

Richards should go to Hoffenheim. One full season starting every league game will really bring in some big clubs for him.
Hoffenheim fans voted him into their team of the season despite joining in January. He was excellent there.

That Gold Cup roster makes me not care what we do now.
Way too much MLS on it.

This tournament is a money grab for CONCACAF. El Salvador Match next real USMNT match for me.

If fifa didn’t kill the confederations cup this would matter.

If we keep it up with the 3-5-2, we've really got three questions to answer:

Who replaces the oft-injured Tyler Adams as defensive destroyer and pressure valve?
Can anyone solidify a spot next to Brooks in the back 3?
Who are we running with as our 9?

I think there's an answer to the first two questions on this roster.

I didn't need to see Acosta, Lletget, and Yueill all in this team. We know who they are. Would have preferred only one or two of them. As far as forwards, the group is a bit underwhelming but I understand.

What I would like to see:
Turner
Cannon-Robinson-Zimmerman-Vines
Busio-Williamson-Lletget
Arriola-Dike-Lewis

I didn't need to see Acosta, Lletget, and Yueill all in this team. We know who they are. Would have preferred only one or two of them. As far as forwards, the group is a bit underwhelming but I understand.

What I would like to see:
Turner
Cannon-Robinson-Zimmerman-Vines
Busio-Williamson-Lletget
Arriola-Dike-Lewis
Yuell looks out of his league. Can’t wait for Zardes to score 5 goals against crap competition only to crap the bed in the ocho.

Yuell looks out of his league. Can’t wait for Zardes to score 5 goals against crap competition only to crap the bed in the ocho.

Ideally the forwards when the games matter are Sargent, Dike, Siebatchu, and then maybe Hoppe can show something in the gold cup to edge out Zardes.

Ideally the forwards when the games matter are Sargent, Dike, Siebatchu, and then maybe Hoppe can show something in the gold cup to edge out Zardes.

I haven't tracked Hoppe at all - what are the thoughts on this kid?

I haven't tracked Hoppe at all - what are the thoughts on this kid?

Not gonna pretend I watched his full games, but I have found a couple 'all-touches' videos of his when he was in really good form a while back.

He seems to benefit from smart positioning and aggressiveness/athleticism rather than a lot of skill on the ball. His teammates found him in nice spots and on nice runs for a few of his goals. He also was just a dog on some others getting to his spots aggressively to cleanup a play.

Out of this forward group, J Lew and Ariola seem somewhat trustworthy with the ball at their feet. Dike, Hoppe, and obviously Zardes aren't ideal.

I have no idea what to think of Gioiaccinni. I am not gonna let one good friendly outweigh what seems like a really disappointing finish in France2, based on his stats.

Thanks for the run down. I will be interested to see how be looks when he gets run in the GC

Thanks for the run down. I will be interested to see how be looks when he gets run in the GC
He’s also clinical. Got a decent haul for a Schalke team that was one of the worst in any of Europe’s top divisions. They had almost no possession and he scored a lot against the run of play. Can definitely be a vital skill as a sub or when we’re overmatched by an opponent.

He’s also clinical. Got a decent haul for a Schalke team that was one of the worst in any of Europe’s top divisions. They had almost no possession and he scored a lot against the run of play. Can definitely be a vital skill as a sub or when we’re overmatched by an opponent.
My concern is that he doesn’t seem to have any plus athletic skills. The poacher profile doesn’t translate to the international level… see Wondo and Twellman for a couple of examples of poachers who never found huge success at w the natties and they both had more athleticism than Hoppe.

My primary concern is that Berhalter starts Zardes by default and doesn’t give the kids a shot to prove themselves.

My concern is that he doesn’t seem to have any plus athletic skills. The poacher profile doesn’t translate to the international level… see Wondo and Twellman for a couple of examples of poachers who never found huge success at w the natties and they both had more athleticism than Hoppe.

My primary concern is that Berhalter starts Zardes by default and doesn’t give the kids a shot to prove themselves.
That’s a fair point but Wondo in MLS and Hoppe at his age in the Bundesliga are different animals. If he sticks with Schalke and plays a ton in the second division this year that could be really good for his development. And agreed on Zardes. I’d much rather see him late running at people after Dike or another of the younger bigger strikers have physically attacked CBs all game.

That’s a fair point but Wondo in MLS and Hoppe at his age in the Bundesliga are different animals. If he sticks with Schalke and plays a ton in the second division this year that could be really good for his development. And agreed on Zardes. I’d much rather see him late running at people after Dike or another of the younger bigger strikers have physically attacked CBs all game.

I was going to ask about the comparison to Wondo because of the similar scouting report reading some of the thoughts you guys have who have watched him. Wondo always seemed to lose form with the USMNT in major games.

That miss vs Belgium still hurts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom