2021 USMNT Thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2021 USMNT Thread

I was going to ask about the comparison to Wondo because of the similar scouting report reading some of the thoughts you guys have who have watched him. Wondo always seemed to lose form with the USMNT in major games.

That miss vs Belgium still hurts.
I don’t think Wondo lost form with the USMNT... he just wasn’t an international class player. Stamina, hard work and intelligent play only get you so far when the other team’s players have all of that plus excellent skill and athleticism.

I don’t think Wondo lost form with the USMNT... he just wasn’t an international class player. Stamina, hard work and intelligent play only get you so far when the other team’s players have all of that plus excellent skill and athleticism.

Yeah I mean his finishing in front of goal though was the one thing that he had going for him and struggled with that even. Granted its a skill the USMNT has been lefting wanting for, for a long time so he is hardly alone in that regard.

Yeah I mean his finishing in front of goal though was the one thing that he had going for him and struggled with that even. Granted its a skill the USMNT has been lefting wanting for, for a long time so he is hardly alone in that regard.

Hoppe is in a better development spot than Wondo. At the same age Wondo was a college player. Hoppe already played a ton in the Bundesliga and will probably start in the 2. Bund this year.

It’s crazy how much his physique has changed over the last few years. He’s going to be an important player for this USMNT and will help whatever club he ends up at on loan this year or Bayern in their cup and domestic squad rotations.

It’s crazy how much his physique has changed over the last few years. He’s going to be an important player for this USMNT and will help whatever club he ends up at on loan this year or Bayern in their cup and domestic squad rotations.
Yup for me I think it's more beneficial he start every league match for a lesser Bundesliga club than just be a squad guy at Bayern. This is a crucial development season.

Surprised the Musah to Barca rumors haven’t been posted.

Horrific head injury likely ends Lozano's Gold Cup minutes after it started. May have been the best player in this tourney.

Adding: El Tri can't crack T&T's 6-3-1 defensive set, gets two fan conduct stoppages (shoulda been 3), and has to settle for a 0-0 draw.

I don't believe they have won an official match in regulation since they beat Bermuda 2-1 in 2019.

Last edited:
Mexico not scoring in that game was pretty crazy considering the number of chances they created,.

Mexico not scoring in that game was pretty crazy considering the number of chances they created,.

They couldn't have scored in a whorehouse with a fist full of 50s.

It felt like a 4 or 5-nil game, I was so sad when the Soca Warriors didn't put one of their final break aways in the net.

Either way though, Mx got screwed. They deserved probably 2 pens and that called back goal should have at least been looked at. I won't complain too hard though...

Last edited:
Sigh… as predicted lineup against Haiti includes Zardes and 2 dmids in Yuell and Acosta. Because you know, Haiti with their Covid depleted roster is such a huge threat going forward.

Berhalter is terrible

That Gold Cup roster makes me not care what we do now.
Way too much MLS on it.

This tournament is a money grab for CONCACAF. El Salvador Match next real USMNT match for me.

If fifa didn’t kill the confederations cup this would matter.

This tournament is about finding those 10 guys or so who will supplement the A Team through those 3 game International Breaks for qualifying.

Lleget has won me over; he should be part of the "real" team. I'd like to see Walker Zimmerman push himself back into consideration. This might be Darryl Dike's break-out moment where he becomes the first-choice number 9. I'd like to see some more of Reggie Cannon and Shaq Moore.

Can Paul Arriola be a guy who helps you beat the really good teams? He's 26 now, can he be a leader who delivers results?

I think there are some interesting storylines, to see if guys can step up and win a tournament without the European based players.

Joke of a lineup.

Zimmerman, Robinson, Zardes, Yueill, Acosta, Arriola and probably Lletget have no place in the present or future USMNT (though, I get Seb being a vet nod). No idea what he needs to see from them.

This tournament is about finding those 10 guys or so who will supplement the A Team through those 3 game International Breaks for qualifying.

Lleget has won me over; he should be part of the "real" team. I'd like to see Walker Zimmerman push himself back into consideration. This might be Darryl Dike's break-out moment where he becomes the first-choice number 9. I'd like to see some more of Reggie Cannon and Shaq Moore.

Can Paul Arriola be a guy who helps you beat the really good teams? He's 26 now, can he be a leader who delivers results?

I think there are some interesting storylines, to see if guys can step up and win a tournament without the European based players.
The lineup we announced sucks.
Mind as well callup Wondo and start him as well.

MLS good luck to the league. I wish it well. It has no business being the bed rock of the USMNT ever if we want to be a good team.

This tournament sucks because it’s all MLS guys for the most part. I would rather play an U-23 roster in this gold cup than the MLS vets we play.

The lineup we announced sucks.
Mind as well callup Wondo and start him as well.

MLS good luck to the league. I wish it well. It has no business being the bed rock of the USMNT ever if we want to be a good team.

This tournament sucks because it’s all MLS guys for the most part. I would rather play an U-23 roster in this gold cup than the MLS vets we play.

The Nations League was the priority. We won it. That team featured all our European based players, plus a decent handful of MLS.

Because of the way these events fell on the schedule, look at this as the "final try-out" for MLS guys who are borderline USMNT players before the Qualifiers start next fall. That's it. It's their last try-out before the games all count.

No need to get worked up about it. You can't expect European guys to be here for 2 tournaments in 1 summer, after the last 20 months they've all had with COVID, compressed schedules, no summer breaks, etc. These guys are not "The Team", but a handful of them may be contributors, and let's see if the B Team can win this thing. I like the attitude going in.

On the Euro broadcast they said Roberto Mancini called in like 65-70 unique players over the past few seasons. No stone left unturned. IMO I think GGG does not do enough of that.

The Nations League was the priority. We won it. That team featured all our European based players, plus a decent handful of MLS.

Because of the way these events fell on the schedule, look at this as the "final try-out" for MLS guys who are borderline USMNT players before the Qualifiers start next fall. That's it. It's their last try-out before the games all count.

No need to get worked up about it. You can't expect European guys to be here for 2 tournaments in 1 summer, after the last 20 months they've all had with COVID, compressed schedules, no summer breaks, etc. These guys are not "The Team", but a handful of them may be contributors, and let's see if the B Team can win this thing. I like the attitude going in.
It's his schtick in this thread. There's no insight to it -- it's like saying "NCAA football is no where near as good as the NFL".

The whole excitement about the league (and frankly what should be the excitement about this team in the Gold Cup, except for the stupid lineup selection) is seeing guys who could be the next Adams, or McKennie, or Steffen, or Reyna, or Aaronson, or Busio, etc coming through the league and its development systems and trying to make it big.

I am stunned to see so many empty seats in Kansas City. Maybe because there are several games this week? Kansas City is usually a great soccer town.

It's his schtick in this thread. There's no insight to it -- it's like saying "NCAA football is no where near as good as the NFL".

The whole excitement about the league (and frankly what should be the excitement about this team in the Gold Cup, except for the stupid lineup selection) is seeing guys who could be the next Adams, or McKennie, or Steffen, or Reyna, or Aaronson, or Busio, etc coming through the league and its development systems and trying to make it big.
I don’t like MLS players on the national team.
If we want to be a serious player in international soccer.
Maybe 4-5 players on the bench okay.

The Gold Cup I get isn’t the priority because of no more Confederations Cup.
Treat this tournament for young players then.
No need to call in MLS veterans.
Gyasi Zardes is not going to be a player we can rely on in WCQ road matches no need to waste caps on him in the Gold Cup.
I would rather play Brandon Aaronson or Konrad De La Fuente or Richard Ledezma or Alex Mendez than the AAAA MLS roster we are running out this Cup.

A majority MLS roster for USMNT just reeks an inferior product.

For USMNT to be as good as it can be it needs its players playing in Europe.
Our A team thankfully is doing that. If we aren’t going to play our A team this Gold Cup then play young European kids and let them play.
Obviously you let the good ones take a break but we have a lot of young European prospects we could have used but didn’t.

Sorry I can’t stand the MLS. It’s an inferior league that I feel hinders the National team that thankfully will be less since the US Soccer federation has separated from the marketing group that protected MLS.

Joke of a lineup.

Zimmerman, Robinson, Zardes, Yueill, Acosta, Arriola and probably Lletget have no place in the present or future USMNT (though, I get Seb being a vet nod). No idea what he needs to see from them.
1. I’ve been very unimpressed with Lewis and Yuell in the first half.
2. You don’t think Robinson has the potential to grow into a true national team player? I haven’t watched him closely enough but keep hearing that he is full of potential. And he is Orange!

I don’t like MLS players on the national team.
If we want to be a serious player in international soccer.
Maybe 4-5 players on the bench okay.

The Gold Cup I get isn’t the priority because of no more Confederations Cup.
Treat this tournament for young players then.
No need to call in MLS veterans.
Gyasi Zardes is not going to be a player we can rely on in WCQ road matches no need to waste caps on him in the Gold Cup.
I would rather play Brandon Aaronson or Konrad De La Fuente or Richard Ledezma or Alex Mendez than the AAAA MLS roster we are running out this Cup.

A majority MLS roster for USMNT just reeks an inferior product.

For USMNT to be as good as it can be it needs its players playing in Europe.
Our A team thankfully is doing that. If we aren’t going to play our A team this Gold Cup then play young European kids and let them play.
Obviously you let the good ones take a break but we have a lot of young European prospects we could have used but didn’t.

Sorry I can’t stand the MLS. It’s an inferior league that I feel hinders the National team that thankfully will be less since the US Soccer federation has separated from the marketing group that protected MLS.

I had hope for the MLS. It's now 2021 and well it's still not improved to where you would hope. It has been a starting point for some guys to make the jump to Europe.

It does have a strong support so maybe in time it can grow. More US players showing well in Europe on the biggest stages can help that as players come back but for now it's just not good enough.

I had hope for the MLS. It's now 2021 and well it's still not improved to where you would hope. It has been a starting point for some guys to make the jump to Europe.

It does have a strong support so maybe in time it can grow. More US players showing well in Europe on the biggest stages can help that as players come back but for now it's just not good enough.
I am not saying the MLS is chit because it’s not.
It’s just not an elite league and we shouldn’t want our starting national team players coming from the league.
I like the academies are starting to sell their players to European teams because they get its better for the player.

This performance tonight is just weak sauce.
The technical game is pathetic. We should be able to breakdown these teams at home.
As I said I would rather see young Europeans who don’t get a lot of PT with their club teams get these chances.

I am not saying the MLS is chit because it’s not.
It’s just not an elite league and we shouldn’t want our starting national team players coming from the league.
I like the academies are starting to sell their players to European teams because they get its better for the player.

This performance tonight is just weak sauce.
The technical game is pathetic. We should be able to breakdown these teams at home.
As I said I would rather see young Europeans who don’t get a lot of PT with their club teams get these chances.

Not saying it's trash either but it's also a step below where we want even our B team guys coming from. The U-21 sure but not the senior team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom