2021 USMNT Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2021 USMNT Thread

I love that Scottish studio announcer for BeIn Sports. He sounds like the comedian Billy Connolly, and says some super outlandish stuff sometimes.

Ray Hudson. I met him at a soccer convention several years back. Gracious guy and just as you would imagine he is in person. Hope ESPN signs him

I love that Scottish studio announcer for BeIn Sports. He sounds like the comedian Billy Connolly, and says some super outlandish stuff sometimes.
yeah I heard he was not coming along in the deal though

Let's hope ESPN is handling these European rights better than CBS.

A few days ago, UEFA sent out a release on how to watch the Women's Champions League final in every country.

They listed CBS as the carrier in America. CBS said they didn't own the rights.

Two days later, CBS realizes that they actually do own the rights and scramble to get it on Paramount+ before the weekend.

Let's hope ESPN is handling these European rights better than CBS.

A few days ago, UEFA sent out a release on how to watch the Women's Champions League final in every country.

They listed CBS as the carrier in America. CBS said they didn't own the rights.

Two days later, CBS realizes that they actually do own the rights and scramble to get it on Paramount+ before the weekend.
Geez. That’s so damn bad, and incredibly embarrassing for them.

Only 4 players of 23 from the MLS.
I love how the USMNT is featuring less and less MLS players in important matches.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 4/0), David Ochoa(Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 21/0)

DEFENDERS (8): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 40/3), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 14/0), Sergino Dest (Barcelona/ESP; 7/1), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 2/0), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht/BEL; 21/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 42/1), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 10/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 62/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Kellyn Acosta(Colorado Rapids; 27/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 12/1), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 20/6), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 21/6), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 4/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 9/0)

FORWARDS: (6): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 4/2), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 36/15), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 4/2), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 13/5), Jordan Siebatcheu (Young Boys/SUI; 2/0), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 10/1

No Dike?? Bad choice,

Berhalter said he's basically traveling with the team to Nations League anyway. Sounds like he'll feature heavily and start in Gold Cup. He's only taking two 9's and went with Sargent and Siebatcheu.

As far as the overall roster I would have like to have seen Luca de la Torre over Yueill. Yueill is a nice player but he got marked out of the U23 tournament a few times and was demolished by Eryk Williamson from Portland who didn't make that team (and who the team needed).

Not a lot of defensive bite in the midfield -- especially with Adams coming off injury.

I'm guessing Ochoa got an experience call-up, I don't think he's contending for a top-3 slot right now.

There are probably 5 or 6 guys on this roster who I wouldn't be sad to see depart. Hopefully we see a few players make a jump forward this summer either domestically or in the Gold Cup.

Not a lot of defensive bite in the midfield -- especially with Adams coming off injury.

I'm guessing Ochoa got an experience call-up, I don't think he's contending for a top-3 slot right now.

There are probably 5 or 6 guys on this roster who I wouldn't be sad to see depart. Hopefully we see a few players make a jump forward this summer either domestically or in the Gold Cup.

Ochoa long-term I think is going to be a good one. Good shot stopper, good passer. Obviously he had a massive issue in the Olympic SF game but he's 20, starting, and looks to be a confident player.

Who realistically is a good 3rd GK? Matt Turner? Sean Johnson?

Ochoa long-term I think is going to be a good one. Good shot stopper, good passer. Obviously he had a massive issue in the Olympic SF game but he's 20, starting, and looks to be a confident player.

Who realistically is a good 3rd GK? Matt Turner? Sean Johnson?

I don't think you'd find too much difference 2-4 between Horvath, Turner, and Johnson.

In my mind though (at least in bigger situations), your 3rd keeper is your clubhouse personality/veteran rather than a place to stick a potential starter -- especially with how young this crop of keepers is (we don't have a Friedel/Keller/Howard situation). Who I would rank skill-wise currently? I think its probably (1) Steffen, (2/3) Horvath/Turner, (4) Johnson, then (5) Ochoa. But if I'm building a roster I think Johnson fits that 3rd keeper spot in my philosophy the best.

I'll also add, my consideration of Horvath being placed where I put him is based on gut feelings from reading match reports on him versus seeing a lot of (and the foot-faults of) Ochoa and Johnson over the last few months.

Only 4 players of 23 from the MLS.
I love how the USMNT is featuring less and less MLS players in important matches.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 4/0), David Ochoa(Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 21/0)

DEFENDERS (8): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 40/3), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 14/0), Sergino Dest (Barcelona/ESP; 7/1), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 2/0), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht/BEL; 21/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 42/1), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 10/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 62/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Kellyn Acosta(Colorado Rapids; 27/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 12/1), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 20/6), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 21/6), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 4/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 9/0)

FORWARDS: (6): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 4/2), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 36/15), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 4/2), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 13/5), Jordan Siebatcheu (Young Boys/SUI; 2/0), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 10/1

If this was football recruiting, we would say, "look at those offers" - i.e., look at the teams these guys are playing for!

This strikes me as a young, but potentially very talented team that is still missing a few pieces to not have any clear weaknesses. I feel like this is the beginning of the new era, right now.

All this experimentation stuff should be over. We should have decided on a core group of 35 or 40 guys by now. I think we have. Now, our camps and competitions should be about building more consistency, and allow chemistry to develop by playing more consistent line-ups.

I think McKennie, Weah and Musah are going to hound people in midfield. We have some pretty good ball winners, I believe.

Berhalter said he's basically traveling with the team to Nations League anyway. Sounds like he'll feature heavily and start in Gold Cup. He's only taking two 9's and went with Sargent and Siebatcheu.

I understand that he tailed off the last month or so with Barnsley, but he's a special tool in the tool chest, kind of like having a Jozy Altidore type of player, only hopefully better and more consistent. We don't have another guy of his type in the player pool. You have to break him in sooner rather than later, in my opinion.

I understand that he tailed off the last month or so with Barnsley, but he's a special tool in the tool chest, kind of like having a Jozy Altidore type of player, only hopefully better and more consistent. We don't have another guy of his type in the player pool. You have to break him in sooner rather than later, in my opinion.

I think Dike's key value is going to be coming off the bench and getting late goals when CONCACAF teams are bunkering.

I think Dike's key value is going to be coming off the bench and getting late goals when CONCACAF teams are bunkering.

I see him as a guy who can bully central defenders. We lack that physicality up front.

You know what's weird? From what I can tell, CONCACAF Nations League has not updated their policy on substitutions.

Anyone know if we still have the 5/3 or 3/3 substitution rules in this competition?

You know what's weird? From what I can tell, CONCACAF Nations League has not updated their policy on substitutions.

Anyone know if we still have the 5/3 or 3/3 substitution rules in this competition?

I feel like we're still in 5 subs territory.

Upcoming schedule. Lots of games in the next couple of weeks...

Holy cow - 7 games in 18 days. That's psychotic. There will be lots of rotation, or else there will be many injuries. And then they hang around for 2 weeks before playing Mexico? Very strange, although that 2 weeks will probably be a great time for teaching formation, strategies, tactics, etc., to a disparate group.

Holy cow - 7 games in 18 days. That's psychotic. There will be lots of rotation, or else there will be many injuries. And then they hang around for 2 weeks before playing Mexico? Very strange, although that 2 weeks will probably be a great time for teaching formation, strategies, tactics, etc., to a disparate group.
The team that competes the COMCACAF nations cup and the team that competes in the Gold Cup will be different rosters.
The Gold Cup will feature the MLS B team.
I really don’t care about the Gold Cup anymore since the confederations cup is gone.

Just playing the A team with the European roster is all I really care about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom