2021 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ... | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ...

Red Thunder appears to be sticking around.

Red Thunder appears to be sticking around.

Seems there's a better return on the dollar on him than Stanton. And Frazier can actually play in the field.

Thinking about this a little bit

Tanaka may leave for a 1 year deal in the $15-20 million range. I feel like I would much rather have Tanaka for $15 million instead of a flier on a hurt Kluber (who is almost 35 years old!) for $11 million

What do others think here?
I think I agree, but the Yankees might be so close to the luxury tax threshold that $4 million matters. It seems like they are serious about staying under it.

I think I agree, but the Yankees might be so close to the luxury tax threshold that $4 million matters. It seems like they are serious about staying under it.
They have to reset now in order to make a strong push for a World Series in the next few years. The way that MLB is set up now, we will never see a long term dynasty again. An organization like the Yankees will have a reset every four years or so and the latter two years of that stretch will be their target years. At least that is how I see it.

I haven't looked how close they are to the threshold, so you have a valid point there. However, using that logic, if Kluber turns out to be a bust, they would have wasted $11 million. Let's see what happens.

They have to reset now in order to make a strong push for a World Series in the next few years. The way that MLB is set up now, we will never see a long term dynasty again. An organization like the Yankees will have a reset every four years or so and the latter two years of that stretch will be their target years. At least that is how I see it.
People won’t call them a dynasty because they’ve only won a single World Series, but they’ve been great for years and show no signs of weakening. They seem to have a model for sustained success without the required resets.

I haven't looked how close they are to the threshold, so you have a valid point there. However, using that logic, if Kluber turns out to be a bust, they would have wasted $11 million. Let's see what happens.

Going after pitchers who gave NYY trouble has long been a pattern in the Yankees front office. That's how they ended up with Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Jaret Wright, all of whom were running on fumes when they arrived. Also to a lesser extent Kenny Rogers and Jeff Weaver, neither of whom did much in NY nor after they left. At Kluber's age it seems like a one year rental that is running on a lot of hope. Seems they're "flooding the zone" with starters, hoping 4 or 5 will have good seasons.

People won’t call them a dynasty because they’ve only won a single World Series, but they’ve been great for years and show no signs of weakening. They seem to have a model for sustained success without the required resets.
One championship and consistent success (playoff appearances) does not equal a dynasty. Especially for Yankee fans. They have done a great job building a team using their farm system. But, eventually those young players need to get paid. That time is next year. They were successful in selling the young guys on this year’s reset. A bunch of one year deals means a run this year and some tough decisions next year. Some big contracts and some guys leaving. Maybe some mid season trades to bolster the farm system.

One championship and consistent success (playoff appearances) does not equal a dynasty.
Due to the randomness of postseason results, that is the best a reasonable fanbase can hope for.

Going after pitchers who gave NYY trouble has long been a pattern in the Yankees front office. That's how they ended up with Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Jaret Wright, all of whom were running on fumes when they arrived. Also to a lesser extent Kenny Rogers and Jeff Weaver, neither of whom did much in NY nor after they left. At Kluber's age it seems like a one year rental that is running on a lot of hope. Seems they're "flooding the zone" with starters, hoping 4 or 5 will have good seasons.
I think flooding the zone is smart when it's between high risk/high reward additions and farm guys that they can ease in. I like that they've got like 7 viable options that could all be pretty good. They won't be, but if 4 can, you just rotate the 5th until you find one you can live with.

I am a rare Yankee fan who can maintain some objectivity and perspective.
I am as well. I think it is the Yankee fan that was a little kid when Jeter was coming up that thinks the Yankees should win at least 5 of every 10 World Series. I grew up in the 70's. We had the two World Series wins when I was very young and then a very long gap. Steinbrenner tried to buy and trade for winners, but typically he just traded away the young talent (Willie McGee, Fred McGriff...) for some guy that was past his prime. With the rules as they are, you have to have a plan, and Cashman certainly seems to be very good at sticking to his plan.

I am pro Kluber signing. However 11 million for 1 year coming off injury is a little much could have gotten him for 6 million plus incentives.

Also can we call a spade a spade. We engage with the Reds for Castillo and they ask for Gleyber to start plus other assets. Padres get Snell for a couple of high 4 star minor league prospects. The Yankee trade tax needs to be called out. Cashman should call these teams out on their bunk.

The luxury tax threshold is meaningless when you have a franchise as valuable as the Yankees. Why people don't understand this is beyond me. It's Yankee fans like you who give Hal and Cashman an excuse not to spend money.

The luxury tax threshold is meaningless when you have a franchise as valuable as the Yankees. Why people don't understand this is beyond me. It's Yankee fans like you who give Hal and Cashman an excuse not to spend money.

Everybody understands the situation, except for you.

That’s usually how it goes on most issues.

Everybody understands the situation, except for you.

That’s usually how it goes on most issues.

I'm a fan. I'm not going to let Hal and Cashman off the hook for not spending money like we are capable of. You see how the free agent market has fallen this year. We could give Trevor Bauer 1 year 30 million dollar deal (Only if Gerrit Cole approved of course)

I'm a fan. I'm not going to let Hal and Cashman off the hook for not spending money like we are capable of. You see how the free agent market has fallen this year. We could give Trevor Bauer 1 year 30 million dollar deal (Only if Gerrit Cole approved of course)

Gerrit Cole must’ve approved of Kluber’s salary, so you should too.

I am as well. I think it is the Yankee fan that was a little kid when Jeter was coming up that thinks the Yankees should win at least 5 of every 10 World Series. I grew up in the 70's. We had the two World Series wins when I was very young and then a very long gap. Steinbrenner tried to buy and trade for winners, but typically he just traded away the young talent (Willie McGee, Fred McGriff...) for some guy that was past his prime. With the rules as they are, you have to have a plan, and Cashman certainly seems to be very good at sticking to his plan.
Add Jay Buhner to the list (even though I caught a Ken Phelps foul ball in The Fog Game at Memorial Stadium in B'more).

I have come around, I think you are right. I think you and I should buy a Ferrari with your money. I'm not going to let you not buy that Ferrari for us with your money.

Add Jay Buhner to the list (even though I caught a Ken Phelps foul ball in The Fog Game at Memorial Stadium in B'more).
Fog game? Full circle.