2021 Yankees Season | Page 134 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Yankees Season

The fact that the Joey Gallo's of the world are valuable pieces are why baseball sucks these days.

The fact that the Joey Gallo's of the world are valuable pieces are why baseball sucks these days.
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Ehh the game has gone downhill. I hate watching guys either strike out or continuously hit into the shift. It's just not for me anymore. I used to watch 100 baseball games a year and now I am lucky if I catch one a month.

Offensively Gallo is basically a lefty swinging Stanton but with a batting average 40 points lower and even higher strikeout rate. Yikes. Another HR or bust player. Except he's a plus defender in the OF. Yankees would be far better adding players like Micheal Brantley of the Astros. A .300 hitting doubles machine with speed with low K rate. But Cashman never has any interest in those type of players.

Dodgers viewed as leader to land Scherzer. They have highest payroll and willing to add more. Unlike Hal who cares more about pocketing his cash and staying under the tax threshold. But that's a topic for another day.

False, he has the highest walk rate in the league.
He has 1.6 times as many strikeouts as walks. 2nd highest K rate (almost 33% of plate appearances) in all of MLB. As we have seen over and over for years, walks don't drive in runs, hits do.

Great. Another .220 HR hitter.
Nowadays, it seems like baseball doesn't want a .300 hitter whose "long ball" is a double. They're willing to trade the strikeouts for the potential homers as players do all the time what most of us were told not to do when we learned to play organized baseball, "swing for the fences."

He has 1.6 times as many strikeouts as walks. 2nd highest K rate (almost 33% of plate appearances) in all of MLB. As we have seen over and over for years, walks don't drive in runs, hits do.
If a guy is getting on base 38% of the time, he is not a “HR or bust player.”

Dodgers viewed as leader to land Scherzer. They have highest payroll and willing to add more. Unlike Hal who cares more about pocketing his cash and staying under the tax threshold. But that's a topic for another day.

Didn't Scherzer put the Yankees on his no trade list? (and the Mets?). Doesn't want to pitch in NY.

All the luxury tax does is build up the competition. This is a race for a one game play in, so why subsidize smaller market teams in the process?

Offensively Gallo is basically a lefty swinging Stanton but with a batting average 40 points lower and even higher strikeout rate. Yikes. Another HR or bust player. Except he's a plus defender in the OF. Yankees would be far better adding players like Micheal Brantley of the Astros. A .300 hitting doubles machine with speed with low K rate. But Cashman never has any interest in those type of players.
I agree with you about the "HR or bust" approach that so many players are taking these days. However, Gallo's WAR for 2021 (4.3) is higher than any current Yankee's WAR, including Judge (3.3), LeMahieu (1.1) and Sanchez (1.3). Brantley would be a good acquisition too, if Houston was in a selling mode, though his 2021 WAR is much lower than Gallo's at 2.8.

I agree with you about the "HR or bust" approach that so many players are taking these days. However, Gallo's WAR for 2021 (4.3) is higher than any current Yankee's WAR, including Judge (3.3), LeMahieu (1.1) and Sanchez (1.3). Brantley would be a good acquisition too, if Houston was in a selling mode, though his 2021 WAR is much lower than Gallo's at 2.8.

WAR is nice, but still a player that’s made baseball boring!

Greg Allen scratched from initial lineup today, replaced by Florial.

Wonder if the knee flared up from his taking one for the team HBP last night.

Is your point that they gave up a lot or that they didn't give up much at all so therefore he is not that valuable?
My point isn't that they gave up too much. Really, I wouldn't know. Posters on this board have made the claim that they didn't give up that much. If that is true, what does that say about the value of the guy? It would be one thing if he was a pure rental. You give up less for those guys. But a guy with another year you would think you would have to give up something more for a guy that has real value. If the question is whether he makes the Yankees better, he does. On defense alone,. My question is that he seems, other than being left handed, pretty much like what they already have. Power with k's. Those guys only help you so much in tight one run games. I don't hate the move, at all. Just that I sure wouldn't call it great.

My point isn't that they gave up too much. really, I wouldn't know. Posters on this board have mad the claim that they didn't give up that much. if that is true, what does that say about the value of the guy? it would be one thing if he was a pure rental. You give up less for those guys. But a guy with another year you would think you would have to give up something more for a guy that has real value. If the question is whether he makes the Yankees better, he does. On defense alone,. my question is that he seems, other than being left handed, pretty much like what they already have. Power with k's. those guys only help you so much in tight one run games. I don't hate the move, at all. Just that I sure wouldn't call it great.
Why do you care so much about the words Yankee fans use to describe the deal?

Why do you care so much about the words Yankee fans use to describe the deal?
What? That makes no sense. This is a baseball discussion. If the Sox get Rizzo, I won't call that a great addition. Words have meanings.

What? That makes no sense. This is a baseball discussion. If the Sox get Rizzo, I won't call that a great addition. Words have meanings.
It's a baseball discussion, and opinions are subjective. Stop with the drama.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom