2022 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

I think Gary Sheffield was better than Scott Rolen and Sheffield won’t get in.

Harold Baines is always going to be a guy I can’t believe made the HOF.

Fred McGriff was better and couldn’t get in.
Baines has No business being in. I would put mcgriff in.

The issue is Rolen is a lot better than other players already in the HOF.
I'd be curious as to which players you are referencing but regardless then don't compound those other errors by putting Rolen into the HoF. He played in the NL for over 15 years and registered one top ten finish in MVP voting. That doesn't exactly scream HoF to me.

I know you're an avid and knowledgeable baseball fan. Do you really think Rolen deserves inclusion over Ortiz?
I’m not sure that either belong in the Hall of Fame, but yes, I think Rolen was more valuable to his teams than Ortiz.

I’m not sure that either belong in the Hall of Fame, but yes, I think Rolen was more valuable to his teams than Ortiz.
Rolen is barely better than Mike Lowell.
I give Rolen his gold gloves but he was barely better than Lowell IMO.

Ortiz is why the Red Sox won several WS. I don’t think Rolen was more valuable than Ortiz. Just by how Rolen did in MVP voting.

Barry Larkin
Harold Baines
Jim Thome
Edgar Martinez
Alan Trammell
Ryne Sandberg
Craig Biggio
Roberto Alomar
Tony Perez
Orlando Cepeda
Andre Dawson

Those are an example of guys in that Rolen has around the same WAR or better and I could go on. They’ve let a ton of guys in that were compilers so I don’t get keeping him out. The standard has already been set. The media is doing a poor job by changing the requirements as time goes by. Usually it’s to put in guys they liked. Just be consistent.

Rolen is barely better than Mike Lowell.
I give Rolen his gold gloves but he was barely better than Lowell IMO.

Ortiz is why the Red Sox won several WS. I don’t think Rolen was more valuable than Ortiz. Just by how Rolen did in MVP voting.
No offense, but Lowell is nowhere near the player Rolen is. Rolen was elite at third. Are we not judging defense at all anymore?

It seems to me that being the central cog on several WS champions is immaterial to you. That is crazy to me. What matters more than that? Not to mention you could drive an 18-wheeler through the gap between the stats of the two players.

my guy Barry isn't getting in. Sad. It's a museum.

Laughable... and i mean LAUGHABLE... that Bud Selig is in the HOF, but Bonds and Clemens won't be. Then again, it's the MLB... they don't do much right
Selig is the biggest hypocrite in the history of baseball. He lined the pockets of all the owners while they turned a cheek to steroids. Then, in an about face, he made sure the rules got changed and info got leaked. He was just a two faced greedy rat face.

BTW, did they ever announce the number of writers who submitted blank ballots. Woof on those people.

I put no stock in how schmucks voted for MVPs over the years.
No disrespect intended but you are a slave to this WAR nonsense. I watch one guy dominate a game year after year while leading his team to three WS championships. A team mind you that hadn't won jack in 86 years. Then I watch another guy who is an excellent third baseman but whose offensive production wasn't in the same area code as Ortiz. Btw did you go on family vacations out of the country every October?

One guy was an integral part of three world championships that never would have occurred without his heroics. Easily the best clutch hitter of his generation, not even close. The bottom of the ninth you're up by a run with two outs - who would you rather face? Scott Rolen or David Ortiz? Ask a NYY fan. Some times analytics complicate the simple.
That’s not the point. This was Ortiz’s first year on the ballot and Rolen’s fifth. It should not have been this easy for Ortiz while taking this long for Rolen. They’re both HOFers.

Also a butcher in the field. Should have been a DH. He would have had a better shot.
I always love that "DH is bad" argument. If Ortiz put on a glove over at 1B ala Frank Thomas or many other mediocre first basemen then that would have made him so much more valuable to his team?

It seems to me that being the central cog on several WS champions is immaterial to you. That is crazy to me. What matters more than that? Not to mention you could drive an 18-wheeler through the gap between the stats of the two players.
The skills of a good third baseman are far more scarce than a DH. WAR says Rolen was more valuable. We will have to agree to disagree.

There was no point in his career where I watched Rolen play and thought he was HF guy. Nice player that would help most any team but not HF guy.

Ortiz being first Ballot is fine.. It means way less now with so many issues on who is getting in at all.
You must not have watched him much.

No disrespect intended but you are a slave to this WAR nonsense. I watch one guy dominate a game year after year while leading his team to three WS championships. A team mind you that hadn't won jack in 86 years. Then I watch another guy who is an excellent third baseman but whose offensive production wasn't in the same area code as Ortiz. Btw did you go on family vacations out of the country every October?
I like WAR better than your eyes.

I love story that Rolen and Tony LaRussa hated each others guts so much in 2006 they weren’t even talking to each other when they were game 7 of the NLCS and LaRussa wanted to speak with Rolen. He had to use his 3rd base coach to speak with Rolen.

Like that is crazy. I don’t think Rolen is a HOFer just a good player.
.281 300+ HR, 2k hits, 8x gold gloves is his best asset.

Just doesn’t scream HOFer.
Rolen is Jose Bautista with gold gloves.
Rolen should have been the WS MVP in 2006. Eckstein got it because he looks like he’s 12.

He’s one of the greatest defensive 3B ever.

I always love that "DH is bad" argument. If Ortiz put on a glove over at 1B ala Frank Thomas or many other mediocre first basemen then that would have made him so much more valuable to his team?
First basemen are also not scarce, so no, being a bad first baseman would not help much.

That’s not the point. This was Ortiz’s first year on the ballot and Rolen’s fifth. It should not have been this easy for Ortiz while taking this long for Rolen. They’re both HOFers.
Ortiz was the most worthy of all of those eligible that weren't proven roid users. JMO but the gap was just too large between the two to take Rolen over Ortiz. Rolen is a border-line HoFer at best imo but will probably get in in the next year or two as there will not be much new competition. It will be a scuffle though. Don't see him exceeding that 75% level by much if at all.

I saw him a ton.. his last 10 yrs he was just a nice player and didnt play more than 130 games. so basically his career was defined before he was 30.
he hit over 300 three times
he hit 30 HRs three times..

He had a good number of 100 RBI yrs.

He had 1 real MVP type yr.

GGs are his one atttribute to hang his hat on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom