2022 Coaching Carousel | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Coaching Carousel

Becker and the UVM AD we’re having burgers and a few beers at the bar we go to after hoops tonight. Looked like a strategy session or an exit interview. Got to chat with them a bit. Sometimes I love living in a small town.
Love Becker as coach. Always great defenses. Seems like a good guy. Would love to have him here as Head Coach.

He is a good guy. We used to play early morning hoops together
Some feel he took over an already made program and has gotten lucky in a lot of ways. I personally think he’s done a great job. Would like to hear your thoughts on that take…

Some feel he took over an already made program and has gotten lucky in a lot of ways. I personally think he’s done a great job. Would like to hear your thoughts on that take…
Definitely a fair question. Lonergan set the table for him, but he’s exceeded the success of his predecessor in my mind. He recruits well, for his level, and has gotten some really good transfers, both through grad transfers and the portal. And his teams are always deep. Like 10 deep. And they play defense really hard, and if you don’t play d, even if you’re good on offense, you’re sitting. Just ask senior Bailey Patella.

As someone mentioned earlier. Syracuse has had its worst 8 year stretch in program history. Why would anyone looking to hire a Head Coach look at any of our assistance right now? We have not recruited well and we have not had great success on the court. Not to mention our assistance do little coaching on game days (even more evident when you see every other team in college basketball during the tournament having assistants and head coaches having detailed conversations). If I was hiring I wouldn’t even be looking at Syracuse assistance for all these reasons.

* assistants.

The only guy on that list that makes any degree of sense to me is Langel. But in my estimation, not for a top-10 job in CBB. Not to host 24,000 per night in the Dome.

Grasso pretty much a non-starter. Good coach, but with the way he snipped at JAB, it was not a smart maneuver.

Greg Paulus makes more sense than most of those guys (Langel excluded).
Hop makes 100x the amount of sense as Paulus.

And Red will get his moment to petition (and he might just get it).
This isn't a top ten job anymore, we haven't even been ranked in 7 years. Too many of you are living in the past.
We are what our record says we are an average program. This is going to be a rebuild.
The longer JB hangs around the longer it's going to take, and we may never get back to being consistently in the top 10.

Wow. You care about where a guy is from and want nothing to do with a guy's coaching ability. Got it. What exactly has Red or GMac done to warrant the job outside of having been an SU graduate? Neither has much experience outside of SU, and both have been here for our downturn. Hop has been a failure as HVC but he makes sense because he graduated from SU? What has Paulus done besides being from Syracuse, NY?

Blind resume the guys I mentioned are 1000000000000000x better choices.
Just in case some don't know or remember, here is 'Red's background.

In 2006, Autry and his family moved to Northern Virginia. In Northern Virginia, Autry began his coaching career as the associate head coach at Bishop Ireton Catholic High School. In the spring of 2007, Autry became involved in the AAU circuit, by becoming the coach of the 14-Under squad with NOVA United.

During the 2007–2008 school year, Autry was named an assistant coach at Paul VI High School. In 2008, Autry switched AAU teams and became an assistant coach for the 17-Under AAU squad Team Takeover.

In the fall of 2008, Autry was hired by Virginia Tech's Head Men's Basketball coach Seth Greenberg[16] as the Director of Basketball Operations. Autry held that position for two years and was then promoted to assistant basketball coach for the Hokies. In the spring of 2010, Autry was on his way to the University of Dayton[2][17] to become the associate head coach under Archie Miller. However, he never made it there. A position with his alma mater Syracuse University[18] became available when Rob Murphy was named the head coach at Eastern Michigan University. Autry quickly accepted the position and remains there now.[19][20] Autry currently coaches and develops the forwards position.

"

Last edited:
This isn't a top ten job anymore, we haven't even been ranked in 7 years. Too many of you are living in the past.
We are what our record says we are an average program. This is going to be a rebuild.
The longer JB hangs around the longer it's going to take, and we may never get back to being consistently in the top 10.
I get what you’re saying, and I don’t totally disagree, but you’re also wrong. Landed at 25 in the final ‘21 coaches poll. Also, saw some AP ranking action in 18/19, which I admit feels like 7 years ago but…

The fact that our assistants are never considered for head coaching jobs really confounds me. I am confounded.
Lets assume JW goes outside for the next coach wouldnt these guys be looking now if they thought that was true?

The following it 100% true: Kevin Willard is already on the hot seat in Maryland. Natives are restless, don't like the hire AT ALL. A cantankerous bunch they are.

This will be our reality with the batch of national coaches that have interest in our gig next year. Less so for Hop or Red.
This chain is why you dont go outside for our next coach.
Hop Red G

This chain is why you dont go outside for our next coach.
Hop Red G
no you need to make sure you hire the right coach, nothing wrong with going outside the program which im in favor of but ill honestly be shocked if we do. I would much rather have Hop than Red and Gmac. Hop will do what it takes to win and was a monster recruiter on the east coast. Not to mention he might freshen up the staff.

Not sure if legit

It probably is based on what other people around it have said but I won’t be celebrating until I hear from a better source haha Blauds has been spewing bs about that search

Lets assume JW goes outside for the next coach wouldnt these guys be looking now if they thought that was true?
First question, do our Assistants have an agent to look for them?

Even if yes, they may be looking but nobody may be interested. Why? No head coaching experience, part of a decline, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom