2022 Coaching Carousel | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Coaching Carousel

Not sure I see this as a huge improvement from Turgeon but time will tell.
Rest of the B1G seeing that tweet...

a9aff64a-f15a-498e-b09c-9f1ad97cbe05_text.gif

It will be interesting to see if there is any Syracuse staff chatter as some of these positions open up.

It will be interesting to see if there is any Syracuse staff chatter as some of these positions open up.
I’d hope so but as I’ve posted before, I don’t understand why our guys don’t ever seem to get mentioned for HC vacancies.

I’d hope so but as I’ve posted before, I don’t understand why our guys don’t ever seem to get mentioned for HC vacancies.

Because they know where there will be a HC vacancy in about a year. ;)

Seems like our assistants are never involved during the game. Never up yelling or in JB’s ear telling him what they see. They just sit and talk to whoever is next to them.
Not saying the don’t serve a purpose but I just don’t think JB let’s them be as involved as they should be. Its no secret that he runs the show 100% especially since Hop left.
We also don’t have any guys known as recruiters.
So why would any team want any of our assistants as Head Coach?

Honest question - who do you think they can get? He's an east coast guy, tied into UMD's big $$$ (UA - Plank), no big buyout...
If that’s the best Maryland can do it doesn’t bode well for SU. Arguably, a better and higher paying job.

This is honestly a sobering hire, most especially for Maryland basketball, but also for SU, too. SU is a better job that Maryland's but they share more than a few similarities: prominence (SU back-half of top 10, Maryland likely back half of top 20) and recruiting territory.

My point is that the Terps parted with a good (as in not spectacular) and ended up with roughly the same (I'd argue worse, but it is debatable). Willard is a dweeb. Alright? Established. We all know this.

But this is the dilemma the SU and Wildhack will face in the next year or so. This is why I do think it will be Hop or Red, because there are NOT any easy non-SU Family choices waiting in the wings. Earlier in this thread, someone named the Golden guy from USF, now at UF. Likely a bright mind and he will have both legal and illegal coffers directly and/or indirectly at his disposal. Great

But he could not be more out of his element. West Coast dude in the SEC? Cold.

Maryland has a new Head Coach. But don't fall for the spin, they struck out in attempting to upgrade their head basketball coach.

For all the national search folks on here, I respect your viewpoint and can understand it. But I do think that you're going to be wildly unimpressed with the feedback, not because SU is a bad gig, but because there are no home run hires out there. It's a bad batch and most that show any promise are doing so with bags in hand. Which means they won't work at SU. Not working for JW.

This is honestly a sobering hire, most especially for Maryland basketball, but also for SU, too. SU is a better job that Maryland's but they share more than a few similarities: prominence (SU back-half of top 10, Maryland likely back half of top 20) and recruiting territory.

My point is that the Terps parted with a good (as in not spectacular) and ended up with roughly the same (I'd argue worse, but it is debatable). Willard is a dweeb. Alright? Established. We all know this.

But this is the dilemma the SU and Wildhack will face in the next year or so. This is why I do think it will be Hop or Red, because there are NOT any easy non-SU Family choices waiting in the wings. Earlier in this thread, someone named the Golden guy from USF, now at UF. Likely a bright mind and he will have both legal and illegal coffers directly and/or indirectly at his disposal. Great

Maryland has a new Head Coach. But don't fall for the spin, they struck out in attempting to upgrade their head basketball coach.

For all the national search folks on here, I respect your viewpoint and can understand it. But I do think that you're going to be wildly unimpressed with the feedback, not because SU is a bad gig, but because there are no home run hires out there. It's a bad batch and most that show any promise are doing so with bags in hand. Which means they won't work at SU. Not working for JW.
All the better coaches are signing contract extensions.

I don't think we are getting any big names. But I rather have someone with some sort of track record than blind faith in Red or GMac.

Wes Miller might work but you have to worry he leaves for UNC. Same can be said about Pikiell and UConn.

Kyle Smith has been out West for awhile but he is an East Coast guy. He has a better track record than his successor at San Fran. if he keeps it up, he should get an interview.

Matt Langel has had success and should be picked over our current assistants.

There are guys to keep an eye on depending on how many more seasons JB goes. Luke Murray if he gets a few years as HC first would be candidate. Kyle Neptune if he has success over the next few years. Or Jared Grasso. Or Darian DeVries.

None of these guys are sexy names. None of them are sure bets. But they have better resumes than the SU guys. Personally I like the two Kyle's as potential SU HC. But that depends on how long JB stays and what they do in the meantime.

I think Golden is an extremely risky hire for Florida. West Coast guy with no track record. I rather hire Hop than him.

I don't think we are getting any big names. But I rather have someone with some sort of track record than blind faith in Red or GMac.

Wes Miller might work but you have to worry he leaves for UNC. Same can be said about Pikiell and UConn.

Kyle Smith has been out West for awhile but he is an East Coast guy. He has a better track record than his successor at San Fran. if he keeps it up, he should get an interview.

There are guys to keep an eye on depending on how many more seasons JB goes. Luke Murray if he gets a few years as HC first would be candidate. Kyle Neptune if he has success over the next few years. Or Jared Grasso. Or Darian DeVries.

None of these guys are sexy names. None of them are sure bets. But they have better resumes than the SU guys. Personally I like the two Kyle's as potential SU HC. But that depends on how long JB stays and what they do in the meantime.

I think Golden is an extremely risky hire for Florida. West Coast guy with no track record. I rather hire Hop than him.
Langel is rumored to LaSalle.

The only guy on that list that makes any degree of sense to me is Langel. But in my estimation, not for a top-10 job in CBB. Not to host 24,000 per night in the Dome.

Grasso pretty much a non-starter. Good coach, but with the way he snipped at JAB, it was not a smart maneuver.

Greg Paulus makes more sense than most of those guys (Langel excluded).
Hop makes 100x the amount of sense as Paulus.

And Red will get his moment to petition (and he might just get it).

Last edited:
The only guy on that list that makes any degree of sense to me is Langel. But in my estimation, not for a top-10 job in CBB. Not to host 24,000 per night in the Dome.

Grasso pretty much a non-starter. Good coach, but with the way he snipped at JAB, it was not a smart maneuver.

Greg Paulus makes more sense than most of those guys (Langel excluded).
Hop makes 100x the amount of sense as Paulus.

And Red will get his moment to petition (and he might just get it).

Wow. You care about where a guy is from and want nothing to do with a guy's coaching ability. Got it. What exactly has Red or GMac done to warrant the job outside of having been an SU graduate? Neither has much experience outside of SU, and both have been here for our downturn. Hop has been a failure as HVC but he makes sense because he graduated from SU? What has Paulus done besides being from Syracuse, NY?

Blind resume the guys I mentioned are 1000000000000000x better choices.

Wow. You care about where a guy is from and want nothing to do with a guy's coaching ability. Got it. What exactly has Red or GMac done to warrant the job outside of having been an SU graduate? Neither has much experience outside of SU, and both have been here for our downturn. Hop has been a failure as HVC but he makes sense because he graduated from SU? What has Paulus done besides being from Syracuse, NY?

Here is Paulus' coaching career:

Navy assistant one year
Ohio State assistant 5 years (upward progression)
Louisville assistant one year for an interim HC (downward)
George Washington assistant one year (downward)
Niagara assistant (downward) but lucks into the HC job
Niagara HC has a losing conference record and middle of the pack in conference which is a slight improvement from the prior HC.

He shouldn't even be granted an interview.

I think it’s probably a safe bet that if we’re hiring a coach this time next year, guys like Kyle Neptune have no chance of being hired over our own assistants. I would be shocked if we hired someone from a small conference like Langel, Neptune, Smith, etc.

I tend to think it’ll be one of our assistants/Hop unless we get a legitimately big name coach. But I suspect it’ll ultimately be a family hire.

Seems like our assistants are never involved during the game. Never up yelling or in JB’s ear telling him what they see. They just sit and talk to whoever is next to them.
Not saying the don’t serve a purpose but I just don’t think JB let’s them be as involved as they should be. Its no secret that he runs the show 100% especially since Hop left.
We also don’t have any guys known as recruiters.
So why would any team want any of our assistants as Head Coach?

JB has never “huddled with” nor spoken to assts during timeouts. Not even Hop. But the assts do engage with the players before or after JB.

Wow, nothing. And no one is doing this blind, thankfully.
Look at your own list:
  • Wes Miller is all Tobacco Road. You eluded to it.
  • Luke Murray is still an assistant.
  • Grasso can coach a bit. He messed up challenging JAB. Would not win the PR campaign here.
  • Kyle Neptune went 16-15 (that IS something at Fordham), just not enough for this gig. Too early.
  • Darian DeVries is a nice looking coach. He drips of the Midwest. Good coach, not as much of a fit.
  • Kyle Smith has been out west for 6-7 years and recruited for Columbia when he was on our side of the country. That is not the ideal background.
This is going to be Hop (first call) or Red.

I'd stay inside, but the one "outside guy" that would pique MY interest is Eric Musselman (and I do not see it happening). He has shown a proclivity to move around and succeed in different quadrants of the country. Son of a coach. Ample NBA pedigree. Plays a fast-paced brand of ball. Good in front of the camera. Would be a challenge to pry away from SEC money, however.

Last edited:
I think it’s probably a safe bet that if we’re hiring a coach this time next year, guys like Kyle Neptune have no chance of being hired over our own assistants. I would be shocked if we hired someone from a small conference like Langel, Neptune, Smith, etc.

I tend to think it’ll be one of our assistants/Hop unless we get a legitimately big name coach. But I suspect it’ll ultimately be a family hire.

Next year no, which is why they were on a keep an eye on. If JB stays 3 years they may have the resume by then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom